The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Options for using an old box camera??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1897 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 1043

Default Options for using an old box camera??

I have had an old box camera for quite a few years. It's kind of cool looking (At least I think so) and I think I only paid like $5 for it at a yard sale. I had it on a shelf as a kind of decoration for a few years, but a while back the wife redecorated and it disappeared. I'm sure it's eithe rin my kid's room or in the garage attic.

Anywho, I am thinking about maybe snapping a few rolls of film. It's more to show the kid how actual film works because I'm not sure she understands how film accepts light and whatnot.

I've read up today on spooling film, spooling different sized film, etc. I've read a little bit on developing and printing.

I'm very curious about spooling 35mm film into this camera and shooting over the sprocket holes. I love the effect and the kind of panoramic image you get.

At the moment I don't recall which brand/model/year the camera is, but it resembles a Brownie in basic shape/design as far as I can remember and from pic I saw online.

Anyone have any experience using the old 120, 127, etc film??

There is a place on the west side of the state that supposedly can develop and print this film for a somewhat modest cost.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Those old brownie cameras used 127 Vertichrome pan film. mom had one & they take darn good pics for being so simple. I still have my 35mm Canon FTb.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I dug it up at lunch and it's a Kodak Duaflex IV camera and it takes 620 film. Blah! That stuff is rare and expensive!

That said, I can probably afford to play with it a bit, and maybe even try my hand at reloading it with 35mm and see how it goes. I think the issue with the film is why I didn't play with it earlier, and now the film problem is even worse!

I've seen some image samples online and they do look like they take a nice picture with the right film and conditions. Maybe I will get lucky and find a deal on bulk fim I can cut to size... In total darkness... While installing backing paper on it...

Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
davygoat2
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

A pic would help,not sure what film it would use. A pinhole camera is a DIY Daddy/kid project and there is a ton of info on the web to guide through it.
shutter time is easiest to do, F-stop is the size of the pin hole.
I'd go with a cheap digital camera that has manual settings to play with.
avoids the wait for film.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
lustreking
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is a fun little camera kit that you can build and it actually works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lomo-Recesky...item2c75f6a3ae

It's cheap and works with standard 35mm film.

My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

Old 11-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I've adapted 120 film to use in older cameras. If the roll of film is too narrow for the camera what I've done is to cut a thin slice of dowel and glue it on the non-driving end of the roll of film. You'll know what I mean when you put the film in.

This worked like a charm to get the film to feed through. Unfortunately the camera itself was not light tight enough and just exposed the whole roll of film.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #7
satph
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have shot with an old Rollieflex, which uses 120 film. I still have some long expired film in the fridge. It's a lot of fun. This site has the manual for a Kodak Duraflex IV.

You can reload 120 film onto 620 spools, check out this link. 120 costs about $5 roll and offers a lot more options versus 620 at about $15/roll. If your local Fotomat won't take 120, you can get print or slide mailers to have it developed. Or you could go crazy and develop your own black and white.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by satph View Post
I have shot with an old Rollieflex, which uses 120 film. I still have some long expired film in the fridge. It's a lot of fun. This site has the manual for a Kodak Duraflex IV.

You can reload 120 film onto 620 spools, check out this link. 120 costs about $5 roll and offers a lot more options versus 620 at about $15/roll. If your local Fotomat won't take 120, you can get print or slide mailers to have it developed. Or you could go crazy and develop your own black and white.
This is what I think I am going to do after looking at prices of film. She already has a camera or two or three, but they are all digital. I am interested in showing her what film is like, more or less from a historical aspect. She was pretty excited when I showed her the camera and she played with it last night as I read her a story (Ender's Game).

I'll be buying some BW and color 120 film online probably and re-spooling it. I need to get a few spools yet.

I also want to load some 35mm into it as mentioned before. Here is an example of what can be done:

http://www.t-ricks.com/?p=373

There is a need to cover some openings and do some things to prevent light from leaking, but it will be fun to play with.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The 620 film is exactly the same size as 120, only the spools are different. You can buy 1 roll of 620 to get the spool and keep reloading it from 120 rolls.

I have an old "changing bag" for photographic use, it is double walled black cloth with a black rubber layer between them. There is a zippered end and two arm holes for reaching in. I also have a light proof developing tank and reel for 120/620 film, 2 35mm developing reels and a bunch of other stuff left over from film days. Still have a couple of 35mm cameras and an old Rolliflex 120 twin lens reflex with a 35mm film adapter. Thought that I might still develop slide film after I got rid of the enlarger and other photo printing equipment, hasn't happened and probably won't. PM me if you might be interested in any of this.

Chuck

Old 11-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Thanks, at this point I think I will stick with the shooting and see how that goes. If this develops (pun intended) I may hit you up on that equipment.

Quick Reply