Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ooma Internet phone appliance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
HIM_Tattoos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm honestly a bit confused on what form of validity you want from me. I work for the third largest clec in the country. If you wanna give me your number I can prove my position with the company I work for as we handle the entire east coast and Midwest for both companies. I can name names due to the agreement I signed with the company I work for. I talk to customers from both companies daily and know the company I work for very well after the last five years. Always remember that the Internet is a place that that people are allowed to voice their opinions, if you don't like, I understand, but there's no reason to try and come someone like that. I voiced an opinion on the company I work for which supplies to service to a company that resells that same service.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
studmonk3y
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had the original Ooma hub for about 2.5 years now and I love it. I took it with me when I moved to Australia 2 years ago and now I have free unlimited calling to all my friends/family back in the U.S. Now if I could only get them to remember the time difference...

Old 09-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #13
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Well I don't trust any telco be it VoIP or POTS so unless they're affiliated with Wikileaks all I care about is if the quality is good and it saves me cash.

I still don't get the Ooma business model for revenue though. I guess that's why they started up with the $10 per mo premium service that I don't think I want.

But I'm sold in getting one of these. I'm probably going to be moving at least another 1-2 times over the next couple of years & maybe over to Europe for a year so having a plug it in and go works for me. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:48 AM   #14
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Just received it today and I'm good to go. Still not sure if I want to pay the extra $10 for the premier. Looks like I get to give it a test drive for 60 days though. E911 + tax = $3.47 a mo.

And adjusting Comcast from triple play at $202 to double play with same internet speed, channels (cancel HBO), dvr, modem lease is $107 + tax. Haven't done it yet but that's a little over 2 mo before I go positive.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #15
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertBrew View Post
Just received it today and I'm good to go. Still not sure if I want to pay the extra $10 for the premier. Looks like I get to give it a test drive for 60 days though. E911 + tax = $3.47 a mo.

And adjusting Comcast from triple play at $202 to double play with same internet speed, channels (cancel HBO), dvr, modem lease is $107 + tax. Haven't done it yet but that's a little over 2 mo before I go positive.
I purchased my modem that I use for Comcast from Amazon for $65. I figured it would pay for itself in less than a year, rather than leasing it from Comcast.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #16
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

Sounds interesting thus far in the posts. I had AT&T CallVantage a few years ago and that was fantastic, but they didn't have 911 in my area, so I had to discontinue the service.

What are we talking about for initial setup, in terms of cost, setup (on my part), additional equipment, etc?

Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer View Post
Sounds interesting thus far in the posts. I had AT&T CallVantage a few years ago and that was fantastic, but they didn't have 911 in my area, so I had to discontinue the service.

What are we talking about for initial setup, in terms of cost, setup (on my part), additional equipment, etc?
$199 from Amazon. No tax or shipping. You do have to have a quick internet connection. I was on the Comcast 16mb (burst to 20). Yesterday I adjusted all of my Comcast options and am now at 12mb (up to 16mb) and see & hear no performance issues. Figured I'd give it a try and if not good enough pay the extra $10 to get back to previous speed. Setup is a 10 min process. No added equip needed. Use your own phone or buy theirs for extra goodies which I may do but not just yet. Took longer to unravel the rats nest of cables I got but I have a lot of "IP appliance stuff" hooked in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroonery View Post
I purchased my modem that I use for Comcast from Amazon for $65. I figured it would pay for itself in less than a year, rather than leasing it from Comcast.
I'll look into this then too, thanks.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #18
Pickngrin
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did a few weeks of Ooma earlier this summer, but dropped it when I heard about Obi. Pay $40 or $50 for the little device and Google Voice becomes your free phone provider (although they may start charging at some point, I can't imagine it would be very much). US and Canada calls are free, a major draw for us since my wife calls Canada frequently.

Quick Reply