Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Older house, modern "entertainement" cabling options...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
beergears
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Older house, modern "entertainement" cabling options...?

Single family house from the 70's, one-floor ranch with full access basement. It needs a lot of TLC and is not occupied, which means great time to punch holes in walls as needed!

What cabling options should I consider for the general "entertainement" category, audio, etc, without going overboard?

Desires:
- support for some sort of media server
- two all-house audio channels (his and hers)
- cable tv in two spots in the house
- full net coverage (stick with wireless or add wired conn. as well?)

I guess a little money and planning work now would help get nice options in future.

You are looking at the hole in the doughnut and not the doughnut itself.
You primates are so predictable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I passed all my cabling down through the walls from the attic.

For the surround sound speakers I dropped the wires in the walls, cut a 1" hole, and mounted a plate to connect the wire to next to the speaker mounts.

I brought all the speaker wires down to another plate behind the TV. This way all the wires just go a short distance to the plate in the wall.

I soldered all connections.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

With an open basement and attic, you can do anything you want now or later. The key is having a good raceway between the two. Find somewhere to put in a 3" EMT run between the basement and attic.

If you ever decide you might go with satellite tv, make sure you have two RG-6 coax runs to any room where you might want it.

BTW, I've got a LOT of surplus 18/4 stranded CL-3 wire left. I bought 1000' reel when I was planning a whole house audio project. PM if interested...cheap.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply