Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Ohio University Homebrew Festival Shut Down

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
bb239605
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Ohio University Homebrew Festival Shut Down

Myself and bubbachunk started OU's first and only homebrewing club on campus. We spent over four months preparing for this event to be held on campus (which is a big deal around here with our party reputation as a school and all). We brewed up over 70 gallons as a club to prepare and then BAM!

Here check it out:

http://athensnews.com/news/local-new...iscate-13-kegs

This was just supposed to be an easy going, fun natured event and the state of Ohio decides to treat us like meth dealers. They even shut down a brew demo on site saying it was illegal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
pdbreen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That sucks - there are so many better ways it could have been handled. And, they better keep those kegs chilled and return them full!!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Frank
Recipes 

That really sucks.

What are cornhole games?

Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

What a douche move on their part. Sorry to hear things went so poorly.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That really sucks but after reading the story I have to say what you were doing was illegal. Selling the homebrew for $1 was the key in getting the attention of the OIU. Had it been free I'm not sure there would have been a problem. The permit you guys had covered the sale of alcohol that was legal to sell. The kegs that they took was all the homebrew. They didn't take the keg of PBR because your permit covered that.

It sucks a lot but and I feel for you with all the time and effort put into it, but I think the police didn't overstep their bounds. The only thing that seemed fishy was shutting down the brewing demonstration. I'm sure the laws vary from place to place but I know plenty of places where it is legal.

Next year just charge an admission fee and have a mix of homebrew and commercial beer so you can attest that the commercial beer was covered by the admission fee and the homebrew was free. (Not to be taken as legal advise since I'm almost as clueless as the next guy on alcohol laws )

Cellar Door Brewery

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Last edited by cellardoor; 10-05-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You have to act first. File a suit as a student union. Contact a lawyer in a city not around the university. Looks like you guys have a great case. Few questions arise, like, did they have warrents, who issued the orders, etc etc. If they had a valid reason, perhaps it was a finable offence only, and the confication was not warrented. Lotsa questions to be asked. I think you all have a valid counter case.

I only work with lawyers, would be nice if one here could wiegh in on this.

http://www.com.ohio.gov/liqr/PermitClasses.aspx

Old 10-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellardoor View Post
That really sucks but after reading the story I have to say what you were doing was illegal. Selling the homebrew for $1 was the key in getting the attention of the OIU. Had it been free I'm not sure there would have been a problem. The permit you guys had covered the sale of alcohol that was legal to sell. The kegs that they took was all the homebrew. They didn't take the keg of PBR because your permit covered that.

It sucks a lot but and I feel for you with all the time and effort put into it, but I think the police didn't overstep their bounds. The only thing that seemed fishy was shutting down the brewing demonstration. I'm sure the laws vary from place to place but I know plenty of places where it is legal.

Next year just charge an admission fee and have a mix of homebrew and commercial beer so you can attest that the commercial beer was covered by the admission fee and the homebrew was free. (Not to be taken as legal advise since I'm almost as clueless as the next guy on alcohol laws )
This sounds right to me. If there's any one topic we've beaten to death over the years, it's the legality of selling homebrew (er.. illegality). Might be a technicality, but given that this is an area that's so tightly regulated, seems to me that as the organizers, you HAVE TO confirm absolutely what could and could not be done (can't make assumptions on this stuff).

Dumping the wort, though? That's cops that are pissed off about having to deal with this, overstepping their bounds. You're a lot more likely (in my non-legal opinion) to have a bitch about that than about having the kegs confiscated.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

In Oregon, you can't sell or give away homebrew, except in very small samples. We were giving out homebrew at the last fest. We thought we were complying with all the regs, but someone decided that people could only have one sample of homebrew for the whole fest. Now how the heck does one enforce that??

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I hate to say it, but the minute you sell homebrew, you give homebrewing a bad name. That's the biggest part of what made homebrewing legal in the us, that we can't sell it, even in a not for profit situation.

I know you didn't do it on purpose, but still you should know from here that selling is a no-no.....Primarily because it's untaxed.

It says it right here in the article.

Quote:
The undercover officers told student organizers that the permit they obtained to hold the event did not cover the distribution of unregulated homebrew, said Bret Baker, a chemical engineering senior and president of OU's Brew Crew that organized the event along with the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
You're just lucky you guys didn't get busted.

The sad part is, that if you had come to us frst, we may have given you a heads up....there's very little lee-way with the gubment, where the words, "money" and "Homebrew" are concerned.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 AM   #10
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was assuming that the "sale" of $1 per beer the cops where refering to as the reason for the bust was not a sale but a "donation". If it was a $1 donation then this changes everything I believe. Am I right to assume this?

Quick Reply