*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Oh my god exploding bottles took me in my kitchen out!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
BadgerBrigade
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 42 Posts

So I attempted stovetop pasteurization for the first time last night... Saying I was unsuccessful would be a gross understatement.

I knew this was already going to be a little precarious of an experiment because my bottles were very very carbonated... But I figured what the hell (Truth be told I have a friend who is waiting for me to ship him a bottle so pasteurization was very necessary). The problem particularly was that me and my friend had a few homebrews before we started this project and so the bottles were not only over carbonated but I left them in there for longer than 10 minutes.

I had walked out of the room for a moment and I heard the first BOOM!
By the time I got into the kitchen and in front of the pot the second one went off like a glass grenade and sent a 3" piece of glass shrapnel into my stomach...
Not to mention glass all over the kitchen.

By the time my buddy got in there I had him take a lid and hold it up in front of the bottles to shield us. He would've put the top on the pot but the bottles stuck up too high. Then he touched the top of the bottle with the top of the lid and BOOM another one went off.

That piece of glass was still sticking out of my stomach like a cactus needle, Once we were able to stop laughing and pull the shard of glass out of my gut I realize that I need to get a big tall pot that the bottles will fit inside.

This was funny because no one got hurt and they just kept going off one after another, But I'm sure it could have been a lot more serious, so folks, learn from my experience and either get a pot that the bottles will fit in, manage the time accurately and don't do this with over carbed cider.... OH YA and keep your head down!

Bottled: Cream Soda
Still On Deck: Graff Cider
CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
GarageDweller
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 269

haha. i enjoyed the story. you have a good attitude. keep laughing/smiling and press-on.

SMALL AXE BREWING
"If you are a big tree, we are a small axe, ready to cut you down."-Bob Marley

Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBrigade View Post
So I attempted stovetop pasteurization for the first time last night... Saying I was unsuccessful would be a gross understatement.

I knew this was already going to be a little precarious of an experiment because my bottles were very very carbonated... But I figured what the hell
This. I have failed to listen to the inner voice many times. Many. I know the feeling.

Edit:
On the reverse, don't put the hot pasteurized bottles into a pot of ice water. They're not tomatoes. No need to blanche them. I did this for some reason when I was pasteurizing ciders even though I thought it was a stupid idea before starting. They exploded. Big shards of glass flew about 50' across the yard. I found them all summer while mowing.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageDweller
haha. i enjoyed the story. you have a good attitude. keep laughing/smiling and press-on.
Thanks
The girlfriend was super pissed because I think the bottles going off was very scary for her but as my buddy said as long as no one gets hurt everything is okay, messes can be cleaned and we learned (and real quick too)... Lol
I was very close to videotaping this for YouTube and showing bottle pasteurization and I ended up not but that would've been absolutely fantastic to have gotten that on video
GarageDweller Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon

This. I have failed to listen to the inner voice many times. Many. I know the feeling.

Edit:
On the reverse, don't put the hot pasteurized bottles into a pot of ice water. They're not tomatoes. No need to blanche them. I did this for some reason when I was pasteurizing ciders even though I thought it was a stupid idea before starting. They exploded. Big shards of glass flew about 50' across the yard. I found them all summer while mowing.
I know I know, you are totally right bro but I have a friend who's really looking forward to trying this and he lives in a few states away so I knew I couldn't just cold crash...
I actually don't really think the problem was that they were to over carbonate, I think I ended up leaving them in there for about 14 minutes and the internal temperature just got too hot...

I haven't completely learned from my mistake yet so I'm going to attempt to do it again tonight but with a taller pot, outside, and I'm going to keep them in for exactly 10 minutes! I will try with four or five of them and if I don't get any bombs then I will do the rest of the batch, if I get even one then I am going to give up and cold crash and the guys will have to try my cider another time...

Old 03-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Has anyone else had any similar experience

Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
harmenbor
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You'll put your eye out with that thing!

Quote:
What wrong wid da beer we got?

Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #8
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmenbor
You'll put your eye out with that thing!
No, I'm using my paintball gun mask to try the batch tonight... Lol
Jayhem Likes This 
Old 03-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #9
Spinrathen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like you still had the burner on, always turn the burner off after you get to temp and before you add bottles.

Thank you Jerry!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
BadgerBrigade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinrathen
Sounds like you still had the burner on, always turn the burner off after you get to temp and before you add bottles.
No Spinrathen, turned it off and waited till the temp got down to 180 then I put the bottles in...

Quick Reply