Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Official HBT Weight loss thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #21
Alamo_Beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I've got to jump on this bandwagon as well...

SWMBO and I went to the gym for the first time last night (in 3 months or so) and are planning on going at least 5 days a week.

Food intake won't be that hard. I rarely ever eat lunch just because I'm always busy with school or work durring that time. So, smoothy in the morning maybe an apple or something for a snack when I *should* be eating lunch and a decent meal for dinner. Our main problem is addressed by what The_Bird said, we just eat convienient fast crap bc we don't have the time to cook...thats the main thing to work on.

5' 11" 245LB on 1/4/08 LETS DO IT!

Oh and no way I'm cutting out the beer...1 or 2 a day. I can deffinatly cut down how many I drink with friends...thats the real problem when it comes to beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
joebou4860

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK I am in on this too. Dropped 30 lbs in the fall of '05 only to put it back on when SWMBO got pregnant. Just entered into a bet with my friend. He put up 100 to my 40 he could lose more by march 1. I am starting at 215 he is starting at 202. When I dropped it last time it was on the weight watchers plan with SWMBO. Pretty much just portion control and paying attention to what you are actually putting into your body. Oh! and don't forget to get off your lazy @$$ too.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Yeah, folks, you have to exercise (whether it's on the job or not), and you have to be very reasonable about your diet. I'm 5'9"ish (maybe 5'10", but I don't know). At Thanksgiving, 2005, I weighed about 205. I decided that had to end. I lost about 20 pounds over the next couple months, and I was down to about 165ish by the next Thanksgiving.

I did, in part, it by exercising (a lot) during the week and weekends. I resolved to get SOMETHING done at least five days each week and set weekly time and calorie burning goals (which were set to be about as much as I could manage, and I increased them as I was able to do more). We're talking some hard cardio here, on an elliptical with resistance and upper body work, but nothing dangerous.

Of course, I also did it, in part, by watching my diet. Yep, I had to deny myself some things I wanted, and I had to live with some cravings. I also ate healthfully, with a lot of vegetables and a lot of water. Suppers were reasonable (i.e., I didn't stuff myself), as were lunches. I also, absolutely, eliminated snacking after supper. I had to sit there, hungry, many nights. However, I knew that the "hunger" was more craving and habit that I had to break. I was not actually starving myself, so I did not let myself buy into that "I only crave what my body needs" BS.

However, I was not a constant tyrant over myself, either. I gave myself one weekday lunch, one night, and one weekend day per week to do just about anything I wanted. I could spend those freedoms whenever I wanted, but I could not save them up. As time went on, it became easier to wait until the end of the week to enjoy it or to give up an indulgence over the week.

I also gave myself holidays to enjoy as I liked. However, once I saw how my plan was working, I had less desire to revert back to the old ways. It wasn't a matter of guilt or even fear of screwing up what I had accomplished. More, it was just that I didn't see the value of the excess. It seemed that I was going overboard on certain foods just for the sake of doing so. If I was just as happy with a half sized slice of pie, then why eat a full one? Did I just want to spend another 10 or 15 minutes on the elliptical, busting my ass because of it?

The whole time, though, I absolutely DID NOT make goals about losing a certain amount of weight in a certain amount of time. I didn't know how my body would react to the changes I made, and I wasn't going to set a goal that I wasn't sure I could reach. I knew I could measure, for example, at least five days each week of exercising and estimate burning at least 3000 calories. I knew that I could measure doing 100 crunches per day, three days per week. I also know if I ate reasonably each day. If I could check those boxes off each week, then I knew I was on the right track and that good things would happen. Would I lose two pounds that week, or would I lose 20 pounds by then end of March? I didn't know, and I couldn't hold myself to that. I set daily and weekly BEHAVIOR goals, not results goals. The results fell into place just by behaving properly.

Now that I've reached a point where I'm fairly happy, I've loosened up some of my behavior goals. Mostly, I eat and drink more of what I want when I want. Of course, as I mentioned above, I want less and I want it less often. I've kept up the exercise goals, though, increasing them all along. I now want to burn 5000 calories each week, instead of 3000. I look at it pseudo-economically. That's the amount I need to work to maintain the lifestyle I want. If I want to eat this stuff and drink all this beer, then I need to work that much to make it happen.

Chriso, I understand your dread, and you're right that it will be hard. If you have to, though, start with some smaller changes and then add to it. It's better to take a little longer to reach your goal than not reach it at all.

Good luck, guys! Have fun with this! Believe me, it won't be fun at first. However, when you start to see results, you'll want more.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-04-2008, 09:29 PM   #24
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Thanks for the kind words, TL. Appreciate it.

I just have to find some creative way to replace starches with veggies. I'm sure all of this will feel less scary next week when SWMBO is back home, and we can actually start writing out meals for weeknights.

I think this is just one more thing in which Big Concepts scare me, but once I have a chance to actually work out the detailed specifications, my new understanding of it helps me fight my fear. I don't work well on a macroscopic level. I can't just accept that there is a sky until I've obsessed over whether that sky is blue or cyan or cerulean.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #25
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm paraphrasing some stats I heard on npr so grain of salt.

Michael Pollan, author of, "In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto" said basically this on Talk of the Nation.

1950's percent of income spent on
Food 18%
Health Care 7%

Today's percent of income spent on
Food 9.5%
Health Care 16%

That the graph lines have crossed was attributed by the speaker to the growth of processed foods.

Three easy takeaways.

1)'Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.'
2)'Don't eat anything that your great-grandmother would not recognize as food.'
3)'Shop the outside aisles of the grocery store. Stay away from the interior canyons of processed food'

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #26
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Oops one more...
"Pay More, Eat Less"

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #27
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Oops one more...
"Pay More, Eat Less"
I couldn't agree more. I also apply that to beer. I'll take a nice 750ml/22oz over an inferior 6 pack any day...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #28
Eastside Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay guys I'm in. I am on a strict cleansing for one week, and then the diet gets a little easier. Here is what I believe to be the key to weight loss:

1. Eat every couple of hours, don't starve yourself your body will store fat.
2. Excercise moderately, you need to get your heart rate up for 30 min. a day.
3. calories in - calories out. learn how to count calories and know how many you burn during exercise. keep your net intake under 1000 cal. per day. Beer is expensive, so drink wisely!

sample daily eating:
8am - 8 oz. cranwater mixed with flaxseed
8 oz. warm lemon water

8am - 2 scrambled eggs
8oz. cranwater

10am - 1/2grapefruit
8 oz. cranwater

noon- 4 oz. grilled salmon/garlic
salad 1 tbl sp dressing
8 oz. cranwater

3 pm - apple
8 oz. cranwater

5-6pm - 4 oz. grilled chicken/garlic
salad 1 tbl sp dressing
8 oz. cranwater

Multivitamin 1 a day
evening primrose 1 a day

Free snacks any time of day:
cellery
carrots
hicama
cucumber
broccoli

I did this for 2 weeks and lost 15 pounds, only 30 min. of cardio per day.

I am going for it this time!!! I'm 277, my goal is 200 even.

Last edited by Eastside Brewer; 01-04-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #29
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts

In the beginning of 07 I lost 40. From 248 to 208 at 5'11"..Since I started homebrewing in September and maybe because of the holidays I've gained back 8. My goal is 199 by March. I don't want to be fat at the Atlantis in the Bahamas..I go to the gym everyday now, so i need to cut out the 1 to 3 beers a night and only drink on the weekends..It's the weekend right??Whoo Hoo!!!

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 PM   #30
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Eastside, that's called the "Fat Flusher" diet, right? Do you use 100% cran juice, or do you buy the concentrate? Get that at a GNC? Local health food store?

I think I might try that. If I can make it through the 2 weeks, then I think I can do it.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Quick Reply