The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Official HBT SCUBA thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Official HBT SCUBA thread

Since there was a substantial SCUBA hijack going on Jester's special thread, I thought we should keep it altogether over here.

I used to love wreckdiving as much as I now love brewing and it would have continued if it weren't for a tendency for sea sickness. The problem is that all the good wrecks up here in NJ are 15+ miles offshore and it never, or hardly ever, flattens out for us. I got tired of paying a captain $80 to make me sick for 6 hours with no lobster to show for it. It caused me to sell off my doubles rig and limit my diving to mostly carribbean stuff :-(

I'm headed down to Miami on 4/27/08 on business but I hope to catch an afternoon dive on Sunday with two of my colleagues.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Ryanh1801
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

One of the few pics I have, this is at one of our local springs I dive at. ( I can't believe I actually have a snorkel on.

Im hoping to have a set of steel doubles by the end of summer, and starting my tech, classes next year. I want to be able to dive some of those great wrecks off the coast of NJ.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I am certified.. although i never got my card.

would love to go through the certification again.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used to be pretty hardcore into diving years ago...adv naui cert and was working toward mixed gas. Did the Stolt, Mohawk and a bunch other Jersey wrecks before taking a long hiatus.

I've thought about getting back in but if I did, I might just stick to the tropical recreational stuff.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Anyone looking for the youtube of scuba diving. My LDS just started up this site. If you have any good videos they are doing a contest for best video. Winner gets a 200 gift certificate to scubatoys.com.

http://www.scubadivingtube.com/

Old 03-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
One of the few pics I have, this is at one of our local springs I dive at. ( I can't believe I actually have a snorkel on.

Im hoping to have a set of steel doubles by the end of summer, and starting my tech, classes next year. I want to be able to dive some of those great wrecks off the coast of NJ.
I always have snorkel if we're shore diving. No reason to waste air on the surface.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

A whole lot of years ago at Dutch Springs in PA. Man, I hated that neoprene neck seal... I got Swarzenegger temples..

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #8
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
A whole lot of years ago at Dutch Springs in PA. Man, I hated that neoprene neck seal... I got Swarzenegger temples..
I've done plenty of hours in Dutch Springs. Did you ever get a chance to dive the pumphouse area during spawn? That can be a pretty fantastic. How about Willow Springs out by Reading? Did that one a couple times.

Under the checkout platforms was always a great place to find a few spare masks or snorkles

Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I've seen just about every corner of the quarry but I've found the most goodies under the copter. The noobs wouldn't dare go to 70' to retrieve. I think most of the weights I currently use came from there.

Never been to Willow.

New Stuff?

Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
I always have snorkel if we're shore diving. No reason to waste air on the surface.
Well where I dive for the most part I don't need one, its more of a PITA. I have a fold up now, that I just store away unless I need it.

Quick Reply