Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Official 2011 MLB Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Cubslover
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Official 2011 MLB Thread

I know Spring training is just underway, but I have the itch.

What are you excited about for this year?

I'm eager to see the Phillies rotation help them walk through the NL. Probably a 110 win season. Sucks as the obvious Cubs fan.

In the AL, I follow the Rangers and Orioles. Both of which excite me. Baltimore has really made some moves to strengthen their offense and the Rangers will be back with a vengence.

As far as the Cubbies go, I don't think this will be a stellar year, but I'm eager to see their line-up hit the ball. Primarily the middle with Byrd, Ramirez, Pena, Soriano, and Soto. All could have 30+ HR seasons.

With the expiration of some big money contracts next year (Pena - 10M, Fukudome - 14M, and Ramirez - 16M), I'm eager to see what their plans are. I'd like to see Ramirez and Pena put up good numbers and stay, so the Cubs can bolster their Rotation or Bullpen, but I'm also wanting to see Pujols in a Cub's Uniform.

"Some people are still alive only because it's illegal to kill them."

"To Clone" List:
- Sammy Smith's Winter Welcome
- Southern Tier Choklat Stout
- Rogue Dead Guy Ale
- Three Floyd's Gumballhead

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No way you'll see pujols. It'd be nice...but it won't happen. I'm also looking forward to seeing the monster lineup in Philly.

Cubs...pfft. I'm a die hard cubs fan, but I'm getting sick of the way management is handling trades. I watched 2 months last year and quit. I was extremely upset with some of the deals that were made this past off season.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 03-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3605 Times on 2224 Posts
Likes Given: 3116

Rays don't look like contenders this year. Back to the basement I think. I'll still go to games though.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:28 AM   #4
Ralelen
Recipes 

Huge Yankee fan, but a greater baseball. Im lucky enough to be in Florida in March and will be able to see some Spring training games. A friend of our who lives about a block from Wrigley got us tickets to the Yankees at Cubs series in June, Ive always wanted to see that park.

Anyway, in a complete objective opinion: if the Red Sox don't at least take the East with the team they have acquired, their organization has some serious problems. The Yankees have some serious pitching and catching issues, so I don't expect them to take the East. I also like to watch the Pirates and wait for that magical season where they finally break their losing record streak, currently at 18 consecutive seasons.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 24

As much as I love my Royals, I'm also a realist, so I'm not expecting too much this year. Hopefully we can our young guys some MLB experience and hopefully next season we can contend for the division.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
glickmanii
Recipes 

Funny I just stumbled across this discussion. My wife (who just started brewing) and I (who have been brewing for ~2.5 years), just returned from Clearwater where we saw the Phillies play the Pirates and the Rays. Luckily for us, we were able to see Halladay and Lee pitch a few innings. We're die-hard Phillies fans, so clearly this is a thrill, but the rotation can have its hands full living up to the expectations, especially if the batting order doesn't stay healthy. That said, it will definitely be an interesting year. I'm curious to see what the Giants do, if their offense can do what they did in the playoffs.

Also, as a sidenote for all the beer lovers on here, the Phils ballpark, Brighthouse Field, has a "Beers of the World" stand that sell over 100 bottles and has 6 rotating microbrew taps. We drank Cigar City Jai Alai IPA in 24oz glasses for $6.50; needless to say this was a definite perk to go see the games...

Old 03-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3605 Times on 2224 Posts
Likes Given: 3116

Quote:
Originally Posted by glickmanii View Post
Funny I just stumbled across this discussion. My wife (who just started brewing) and I (who have been brewing for ~2.5 years), just returned from Clearwater where we saw the Phillies play the Pirates and the Rays. Luckily for us, we were able to see Halladay and Lee pitch a few innings. We're die-hard Phillies fans, so clearly this is a thrill, but the rotation can have its hands full living up to the expectations, especially if the batting order doesn't stay healthy. That said, it will definitely be an interesting year. I'm curious to see what the Giants do, if their offense can do what they did in the playoffs.

Also, as a sidenote for all the beer lovers on here, the Phils ballpark, Brighthouse Field, has a "Beers of the World" stand that sell over 100 bottles and has 6 rotating microbrew taps. We drank Cigar City Jai Alai IPA in 24oz glasses for $6.50; needless to say this was a definite perk to go see the games...
Brighthouse Field is a nice stadium - I like it too. Phillies look dominating this year with a hot rotation.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Fastmetal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am looking forward to the Royals losing 90+ games while the team keeps telling us that they have the best farm system in the world. All the while Mr. WalMart refuses to spend any $$$ while we wait for that talent to get here. But I'm not bitter.

Kegs- :-(
Primary- :-(

Old 03-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
yummybeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

go cubs go, go cubs go

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya, we're all in this together."---Red Green

"My eyebrows ain't plucked, there's a gun in my truck. Oh thank God I'm still a guy."---Brad Paisley

Old 03-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
Cubslover
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Bump this up. Opening day comin up!

"Some people are still alive only because it's illegal to kill them."

"To Clone" List:
- Sammy Smith's Winter Welcome
- Southern Tier Choklat Stout