The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Office Depot / Product Obsolescence

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1573 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Default Office Depot / Product Obsolescence

I am getting so jaded on junk products.

I needed a paper shredder and live in a small town, Office Depot is about our only option. So I figure, buy the best paper shredder, Ativa line, and I will have it for years to come.

Well at pretty much 24 months, the entire internals of the thing fail. I stripped it apart and the entire metal gear mechanism has came apart. I use this thing so infrequent and the gears strip apart? Come on. I feel more and more product obsolescence is becoming less transparent.

I contacted them and got a "nothing we can do, you need to buy a new one, we can't even fix it or send parts". Such a waste of material.

Now I can't even use my "Lo barato sale caro" idiom. No longer relevant with consumer goods.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nothing about that story shocks me. The control pad on my fancy convection toaster oven crapped it's pants rendering it a large paperweight on the counter.
Everything made today is disposable after about a year or two, if they make it that long.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Everyone wants to buy whatever they are shopping for at a dime cheaper or whatever they can save. They shop this way at the expense of quality.
End result is that they build cheaper junk, make it in china and ship it over here for a buck cheaper than they could have made quality.

I think it's more the need to find things a dollar cheaper attitude of shoppers that causes it than it is the company making the decision to build cheap things.
If people as a whole were willing to pay a little more for American made and for quality, the companies would make it. The company that makes what people are looking for is the one that makes money after all.

I try to shop for quality American made stuff wherever I can, but it's impossible sometimes.
I live in a small town also. I would bet way smaller than you since you have an office depot. I have to do all my shopping like that when I'm out of town.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

A spot on the sealing strip of my Seal-a-meal appeared through the teflon coating. The bags would stick and tear, rending the thing useless. I barely used it.

Support said I need to buy another one. They don't supply parts.

Seriously. They could charge me $10 for a $2 item and I'd be happy and they would make a few bucks. Instead they lose a customer forever and we both lose.

I bought a big roll of telfon tape for $7 and patched it. Works fine now.

There is no good reason that place can't send you a few gears to fix that machine. But then it would just break in 24 months again anyway, so...

Old 11-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1573 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 811

They would have to send the entire shredding mechanism. What shreds are a series of individual discs with claws. The entire assembly that holds them together failed and now the discs are out of alignment so paper won't feed.

I understand people want cheap goods, so that is why I went with top of the line, I felt that a paper shredder should last for a long, long time, just spins, barely gets used, a mere 24 months and it's in the trash.

Customer service was worthless, it's a well greased machine, a single customer is meaningless to a large Corporation esp. in a small town because our choices are very limited.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
cbmikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Welcome to the new America my friend. I love computers and the internet, but it has driven prices and quality down so much that we're nickel and diming ourselves.

->Mike
->Mr Beer Newb

Quick Reply