Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Not-So-Obnoxious Baseball Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #831
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGingerBrewing View Post
Just another reason why is the best game of them all!
Another strange play was last week. In the bottom of the inning with 2 outs runner at 2nd, the batter hits one in the hole between SS and 3rd. The SS makes a nice stop and attempts to throw out the runner trying to advance from 2nd to 3rd but he throws wild and the runner then goes home and the batter takes 2nd on the error. It didn't look to me that the runner ever touched 3rd base. The manager comes out and makes a pitching change. The TV goes to commercial break, we get a couple of minutes of commercials and get back after the pitcher has completed his warm up tosses. The pitcher is on the mound and the runner on 2nd breaks for 3rd. The pitcher throws the ball to 3rd and the runner is tagged out. Ahh, but not so. The pitcher had not been on the rubber so time in was never called. No out recorded and send the runner back to 2nd. The pitcher steps on the rubber, time in is called and the runner from 2nd takes off for 3rd. The pitcher throws to 3rd and the 3rd baseman who is standing on the base tags the runner and an out is called. So now we have 3 outs and I'm seriously thinking that the runner must have been having a stroke to make such a bonehead attempt twice. An inning later the score on TV is reduced from 5-0 to 4-0. The stadium board still shows 5. Anyone care to guess what happened? Remember when I said I thought the runner missed 3rd. I'd forgotten that after the pitching change commercial break.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #832
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1918 Times on 1895 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This one confuses me. If they came back after the fact and said he missed 3rd that's one thing. But after the pitcher had been changed and another out had been gotten? I understand that if a new "play" had not happened, since the new pitcher had not thrown a pitch yet, that the play could be overturned. But by the runner on 2nd being called out, did that not constitute as a "play" therefore making any previous plays not overturnable? (I know that's not a word!) However, if the runner on 2nd knew that the scoring runner did not touch 3rd, that might explain his reason for trying to steal 3rd twice in a row. Although it looked like a bonehead move, wasn't he insuring that the previous play did not get overturned by creating an out? Or am I thinking way too much about this?!?!?! Either way baseball is a talkin' sport and this is why it is awesome!

Old 09-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #833
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
But by the runner on 2nd being called out!
That's the key. The runner from 2nd wasn't called out. The 3rd out was the appeal play. If the 3rd baseman had left the bag to tag the runner then that would have been the 3rd out and they couldn't appeal, and the run scored would have counted. The runner wasn't charged for an attempted steal. The great thing about this is, if the visiting team scored to go ahead in the top half of the following inning, but replaced that pitcher who tossed the ball to 3rd before the start of the bottom half would have gotten the win. Just another example of how a pitcher can get a win without throwing a single pitch.

Baseball is purer than life; it's symmetrical, fair, and dignified. There's no debating what happened: it happened.
MARVIN COHEN

Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #834
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1918 Times on 1895 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Hmmm. So maybe my assumption was right that the runner on 2nd was making a very smart move?

Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #835
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Hmmm. So maybe my assumption was right that the runner on 2nd was making a very smart move?
Yes.

MARVIN COHEN

Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 AM   #836
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Baseball doesn't have a system for the wild card playoff if three teams tie for the second spot. LOL I want to see this happen.

MARVIN COHEN

Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #837
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3275 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
Baseball doesn't have a system for the wild card playoff if three teams tie for the second spot. LOL I want to see this happen.
Oakland / Tampa / Angels. Maybe. Please god.

And, since you're a Tigs fan, it's interesting to point out that all 3 of these teams struggling for a playoff spot have better records than the Tigers.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #838
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Oakland / Tampa / Angels. Maybe. Please god.

And, since you're a Tigs fan, it's interesting to point out that all 3 of these teams struggling for a playoff spot have better records than the Tigers.
I think I pointed out that Tampa had a better record in an earlier post, and it is still true, and I'll admit that Tampa plays more games against the East division than the Tigs. I've been searching for what will happen if Oakland / Tampa / Angels all end up with 91 wins. GO Tampa, I'm rooting for you.

MARVIN COHEN

Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #839
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3275 Times on 2041 Posts
Likes Given: 2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
I think I pointed out that Tampa had a better record in an earlier post, and it is still true, and I'll admit that Tampa plays more games against the East division than the Tigs. I've been searching for what will happen if Oakland / Tampa / Angels all end up with 91 wins. GO Tampa, I'm rooting for you.
I'm just bitter because I sense the end coming. Best to ignore me until the regular season is over.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #840
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I'm just bitter because I sense the end coming. Best to ignore me until the regular season is over.
It ain't over till it's over.

MARVIN COHEN

Quick Reply