Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Not a morning person...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
jjasghar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Not a morning person...

I cant sleep at night, and my boss has told me that i have to be at work early now. I need help getting up in the morning, i drink a diet rockstar, but that doesnt have any effect on me now.

advice on jump starting your day?

(i've attempted to go to bed early, but i just end up staring at my ceiling.)

JJ Asghar
Austin, TX
please excuse the spellign mistaks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ambien.

Or you could drink yourself to sleep.

Or you could just forget about sleep altogether and do a line or two of snow every morning. That'll wake you up.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #3
joebou4860

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have a kid
I am up at 6:15 at the latest....

Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Next Friday stay up as late as you can, if you can hold out to 2-3 a.m. good. Then sleep until you wake up naturally. Saturday, same thing. Ideally, you would stay awake until about Noon Sunday. Then Sunday night don't sleep at all. By Monday evening, you should be ready to sack out at 9-10 p.m.

It is much easier to push your sleep schedule back than to bring it forward. I learned this trick in the Navy while doing rotating shifts.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-21-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4658 Times on 3383 Posts
Likes Given: 916

I understand where you're coming from! In my 20s and 30s, I worked second shift jobs mostly, because no way I could go to work in the morning! When I went to day shifts, I suffered! I've never been a morning person at all. Now I'm older, and I can't sleep past 6:30. (Still not very productive in the am, though).

But since you have to do it, you have to reset your body clock. It sounds counterintuitive, but the first thing you have to do is give up caffeine except for a cup (or a glass if it's an energy drink) first thing in the morning. Don't exercise after 7:00 PM because it'll just give you your "second wind". Don't watch TV until late at night because it's stimulating to your brain. Really, start "shutting down" around 2 hours before you'd like to fall asleep. Read, or something else kind of quiet. That really does help put your body into a rest mode.

Also, don't take a nap in the afternoon. It'll just make it harder to fall asleep later on. Exercise after work so that you're tired at bedtime. Believe it or not, you can get used to this, but it is really hard.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Lorena makes excellent points. I can't say much more than that!

I'm back!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
jjasghar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
I understand where you're coming from! In my 20s and 30s, I worked second shift jobs mostly, because no way I could go to work in the morning! When I went to day shifts, I suffered! I've never been a morning person at all. Now I'm older, and I can't sleep past 6:30. (Still not very productive in the am, though).

But since you have to do it, you have to reset your body clock. It sounds counterintuitive, but the first thing you have to do is give up caffeine except for a cup (or a glass if it's an energy drink) first thing in the morning. Don't exercise after 7:00 PM because it'll just give you your "second wind". Don't watch TV until late at night because it's stimulating to your brain. Really, start "shutting down" around 2 hours before you'd like to fall asleep. Read, or something else kind of quiet. That really does help put your body into a rest mode.

Also, don't take a nap in the afternoon. It'll just make it harder to fall asleep later on. Exercise after work so that you're tired at bedtime. Believe it or not, you can get used to this, but it is really hard.
Wow...yeah that makes sense thanks for the advice!

JJ Asghar
Austin, TX

Old 06-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
jjasghar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Next Friday stay up as late as you can, if you can hold out to 2-3 a.m. good. Then sleep until you wake up naturally. Saturday, same thing. Ideally, you would stay awake until about Noon Sunday. Then Sunday night don't sleep at all. By Monday evening, you should be ready to sack out at 9-10 p.m.

It is much easier to push your sleep schedule back than to bring it forward. I learned this trick in the Navy while doing rotating shifts.
Hardcore....

JJ Asghar
Austin, TX

Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 379 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I have struggled for years and years and years to try and become a morning person. I'm kinda obligated to now, with a little girl who climbs into bed (and oftentimes tries to kick me out) at 6:00, and with a puppy dog that needs to be walked before work. But still, I wish that I could get my body to want to wake up at 5:00. My core issue, I think, is that I just have such a hard time going to bed early. Cassie's down at 8:30 most nights, then I have an hour or so of chores to do, which means that I haven't really even begun to decompress until after 11:00. But, I've been like this for as long as I can remember....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'm not sure if I'm lucky or not but I wake up at first light without a wake up call.

Quick Reply