Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Non Player/Coaches Sports Commentators

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #21
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Some are good, some are bad; can't generalize at all. My favorite announcing team of all time is in basketball, Mike Gorman and Tommy Heinson for the C's. Gorman's a totally classly, level-headed, but interesting play-by-play man; doubt he ever played above high school. Heinson's the HOF player/coach with multiple championship rings whose blood runs green (well, whatever part of his blood isn't whiskey). COMPLETE homer, absolutely no shame whatsoever, calls out the refs by name, screams at them....

It's such a great dynamic, 'cause he knows so much about the game, and at the same time is really the figurehead of the entire franchise. Obviously, that doesn't work for a national announcer (although he used to call national games in the '80s), but it's a treat to hear those two guys, who have worked together for twenty-some years and obviously have a great personal friendship, call the games each night.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #22
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Al Michaels is fantastic. So was Pat Summerall when he wasn't drunk out of his mind.

I personally think that Joe Buck should stick to baseball. There are a few players that I think have made the transition well - Troy Aikman, Darrell Johnston, Brian Baldinger, Ron Pitts, and Steve Beuerlein to name a few.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #23
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i actually hate all the tv type announcers. i much prefer the play by play that you get on am radio. we usually turn off the sound on the tv, and crank the local yokals on the am. at least they follow the team the entire year, and generally have been fans most of the careers/life.

i don't watch much besides the cleveland teams, so it's not so bad though.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #24
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiobrewtus
I personally think that Joe Buck should stick to baseball. There are a few players that I think have made the transition well - Troy Aikman, Darrell Johnston, Brian Baldinger, Ron Pitts, and Steve Beuerlein to name a few.
No way ... I don't want him doing baseball. He's below average at best for baseball, but everytime I see him, he's with that McRetard.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #25
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Joe Theismann was the one announcer I cared for the least. His "for them to win tonight they are going to have to score more points than their opponent" and "the reason they are able to run the ball is the line is opening holes" comments I don't miss.

Behind him is Dan Dierdorf. Dierdorf I think tried to sound intelligent by looking up a new word before every game in a thesaurus and using it every third down. Of course Micheals and Gifford may have just made Dierdorf look stupid because they were that much better IMHO.

Bryant Gumbel may be victim to that because I think Collinsworth is pretty damn good at commentary making Gumbel's play by play look a little shabby. Not that Gumbel is really that good, he could just be a lot better. Being as the NFL Network's games are nationally televised depending on if your cable company is worth two ****s or not, The NFL Network should have looked for someone better after Gumbel's poor job last season.

John Madden I used to be unable to stand. Paired with Al Micheals though I don't mind him. I actually will watch Sunday night's game even if it is two teams I have no interest in.

Tom Jackson does a great job on ESPN too BTW.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #26
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Bryant Gumbel attended Bates College in Lewiston, Maine where he played football and baseball and was a member of the class of 1970. He was a history major and wrote sports columns for the school newspaper, the Bates Student.

So does that mean he passes the jock test and is automatically a good sports commentator???
F no.
He sucks.

Just saying.

Did he get a Master at Bates?

That is about as witty as I get.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #27
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Bob Costas did play-by-play for both the MLB and the NBA. He never played the game.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 AM   #28
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedthebear
Bob Costas did play-by-play for both the MLB and the NBA. He never played the game.
Ah, he is one of my favorite MLB commentators. Have you read his book, "Fair Ball?" It is pretty good.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:33 AM   #29
feedthebear
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I haven't. But I'd rather listen to him than just about anyone else.

I'll have to check the book out. Thanks.

Drinking: Cab.Sav/Merlot Wine, Grand Cru, Hazelnut Stout #3, Ordinary Bitter

Old 12-07-2007, 04:10 AM   #30
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

So generally, I watch sports without the sound. The drivel-to-info ratio is just way too high, and when you get right down to it the only time the announcers add any value is if they're explaining some obscure rule or call or something...and more often than not, they fcuk that up anyway (I'm amazed at how many announcers DON'T KNOW THE RULES)

That said, I rarely watch games alone, and someone usually wants the sound on, so I've seen more of them than I'd like. I'll generally disagree with the OP...ex-athletes, as a group, are worse announcers than the professional announcers. (And don't even get me started on sideline "reporters" )

Regarding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
And you shuddap about Korny, dude. He's the fuggin man. Him and Wil-Bone have been lighting up the WaPo sports section for a long time, and he is a funny guy sometimes. Dennis Miller, on the other hand, is a douche whose "let's see how obscure a reference I can make" shtick was played out a decade ago.
I love Kornheiser's writing, and I like his work with Wilbon on PTI. But he is AWFUL on MNF. In his defense, it's a thankless role; I don't know if there's a way to be a successful 3rd wheel in the booth. ANd I think the producers probably have something to do with his bombastic, hype-everything approach. But saying he's better than Miller is like saying it's better to have your fingers sawed off with a dull blade than having them eaten off by a rat. True...but a long, long way from good.

Where's my mute button...

Quick Reply