Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Non Player/Coaches Sports Commentators

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I still don't get why being an ex-player makes you suddenly more qualified. Sure, it helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything. And if there are so many "intelligent" ex-players out there, why do the networks insist on hiring mostly "developmentally challenged" ones?

And you shuddap about Korny, dude. He's the fuggin man. Him and Wil-Bone have been lighting up the WaPo sports section for a long time, and he is a funny guy sometimes. Dennis Miller, on the other hand, is a douche whose "let's see how obscure a reference I can make" shtick was played out a decade ago.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

[quote=Reverend JC]My issue with the player as commentators is this.

Seriously, if you are going to be an announcer of any type learn to freaking talk!

Jaylen rose was talking about football today on ESPN as a commentator on some show. while talking about Ben Roethlisberger he says not once but 3 times

(spelled phoentically how he pronounced it) Ben Raw-phwess-buger.

Emmitt Smith is the protypical example of this. I'm not even sure that he's speaking English half of the time he opens his mouth, and the other half he's getting names, places, facts or stats wrong. I turn the channel if I see his face. It causes me much anger.

Kornheiser and Wilbon rule, btw.

You know who I want to hear do color for an NFL game? Frank Caliendo. Now THAT would be entertaining.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I still don't get why being an ex-player makes you suddenly more qualified. Sure, it helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything. And if there are so many "intelligent" ex-players out there, why do the networks insist on hiring mostly "developmentally challenged" ones?

And you shuddap about Korny, dude. He's the fuggin man. Him and Wil-Bone have been lighting up the WaPo sports section for a long time, and he is a funny guy sometimes. Dennis Miller, on the other hand, is a douche whose "let's see how obscure a reference I can make" shtick was played out a decade ago.
The networks probably hire the less intelligent ex-players to validate their hiring non ex-players. I love PTI but I don't wanna hear Tony during the game. I only like when he and Wilbon bark at each other. Caliendo would just do Madden the whole time (probably against his will) and nothing would sound any different...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 11-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I figured Dumbell last night sparked this thread, he's a tard.

I don't think Joe Buck is an ex-fb player, but what he says is pretty good, I just can't stand his voice.

Kornheiser is one of my fav....although I'm a little biased since he's a WashPost writer, and a big skins fan....so sue me. Although he needs to realize he's not fooling anyone with the comb-over

I'm back!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #15
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Harry Carry?

That blind old drunk was the absolute worst announcer of all time and he is 95% of the reason I hate the fecking Chubs so much.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts

I think Joe Buck is one of the best, and he probably got his ass kicked in pop warner. Al Michaels? First class.

It's usually the athletes I want to beat with a pipe; Troy Aikman, Tony Siragusa, etc.

Oh, and John Madden? He should be shot.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #17
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I tend to be far more interested in what the former coaches have to say than the former players. And say what you want about Madden (and I hate him too) but he sees things in a game that no one else sees (then talks about them endlessly for the rest of the game).

I'd rather listen to someone who never played a day in his life but who can speak intelligently on the game than someone who is in the hall of fame and a complete moron.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #18
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog

I'd rather listen to someone who never played a day in his life but who can speak intelligently on the game than someone who is in the hall of fame and a complete moron.

I agree. But not all ex-players are bad announcers. Larry McCarren, who does radio for the Packers, is excellent. Bob Uecker is in the Hall of Fame as a broadcaster. Joe Garagiola was an excellent broadcaster. I used to like Matt Millen when he was in the booth. But it seems as if most of the ex-jocks that are on the national scene nowadays are terrible

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #19
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadedDog
I tend to be far more interested in what the former coaches have to say than the former players. And say what you want about Madden (and I hate him too) but he sees things in a game that no one else sees (then talks about them endlessly for the rest of the game)..
Speaking of seeing things in the game - Jaws is amazing. Anybody else every watch the film breakdown show on ESPN with him? He points things out that you never would have noticed.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #20
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I'm just the opposite. I think very, very few ex-jocks make good color men. Most trip over their own words or are just plain nerve-racking to try and listen to. Madden, while likeable, is kind of a cartoon and McCarver, Deion and Brian Baldinger are just dopes!

There have been some good ones - Joe Garagiola, Frank Gifford before his cheese slipped off his cracker, and currently I think Troy Aikman and Chris Collinsworth and do a good job. But by and large, give me Scully, Costas, Jack Buck, Rizzuto any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
I would LOVE to see an ex-referee do commentary during a football game. I bet he'd really bring an interesting angle to the game.
That would be a very good idea!

Quick Reply