No More HBT at work :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Well it was bound to happen... No more HBT.com at work... well.. no message boards of anytype actually.. which really kinda sucks cause I have so much down time at work where browsing the net is acceptable now I can't view any of the boards I like..

It is due to the computer policy... that states "Instant messangers, such as AOL, Yahoo and others are prohibited..."ect ect
The chief told me that this also includes message boards.. I was informed of this as I was receiving my letter saying I get a day off for breaking the computer policy.. Apparently the computer guy says that "Anytime you can send a message and it can be read instantly and responded to instantly it is an instant messenger" I politely (yeah right) told them that their computer guy was wrong (i have been in computers almost twice as long as he has) and their policy sucked and wasn't specific enough.. .and that if the comptuer guy was correct that I would no longer be checking my email because if the other person was logged on then they could respond "instantly"...

The good news is (thank god for silver linings) this reminded me how much I don't like my job and how it isn't what I really want to do anyway... so I have applied to a bunch of jobs that are more what I want to be doing!! hopefully I will be at a new place soon..

If you have made it this far in my post.. I appoligize for the long rant... but it feels good to get it all out...

SpamDog

PS Tonights spelling and grammer mistakes are EdWorts fault.... damn Apfelwein!!

that sux. my company keeps heading in a more corporate direction with too many silly rules and pay cuts.

hope you find something you enjoy :mug:

i may have to start on that search myself soon if things keep going this way.

I know a lot of people that apply for jobs just to "see what happens", and then before they know it they have moved on!
Life is too short to be in a job you don't like.

...I would rather be poor and happy then rich and sad.

....of course I would give the happy and rich a shot. Married with two kids and a renovation to pay for!

That's pretty low rent. And the company actually has somebody with enough time to sit around and look at everyone's web log to see if they're visiting a forum??

You could always get here via a web proxy. They wouldn't be able to tell where you've been. ;)

Meh. Most sites are blocked where I work. I run a server in a datacenter (unrelated to my real job). On this server I run a proxy, and I create an ssh encrypted tunnel to the server and use my private proxy to get to whatever I darn well please. Fortunately my PC isn't very restricted as to what software I can run since I am a developer. Yaaah.

Hell, you could even setup your home computer for Remote Desktop. Then you surf wherever you want through your home computer. Your work computer only runs the RDP application. It's easy to set up. ;)

Damn, makes me glad that I am one of the two computer folks at work and I handle most of the network stuff. No matter the policy I sure as heck wouldn't report myself, not that we have one.

Nate said:
I'd really like to see it...

Well the simple answer, given my lack of time at the moment (real job you know) is that the connection to my proxy is encrypted and tunneled over a standard ssh port (22). Short of having a key logger, screen scraper or one of many other possible monitoring mechanisms installed on my system , none of which is going to happen for reasons I won't get into, there is no way to tell.

On the other hand, I do my job. I only 'surf' when I have free time, and most of that is technical information or news so I can remain relevant.

That's the short answer.

Where I work Websense blocks damn near every message board on the web, it is only a matter of time before they find this one. The funny thing is, the HR policy states it is ok to use the web within reason and based on managers discretion...

phooka said:
Well the simple answer, given my lack of time at the moment (real job you know) is that the connection to my proxy is encrypted and tunneled over a standard ssh port (22). Short of having a key logger, screen scraper or one of many other possible monitoring mechanisms installed on my system , none of which is going to happen for reasons I won't get into, there is no way to tell.

On the other hand, I do my job. I only 'surf' when I have free time, and most of that is technical information or news so I can remain relevant.

That's the short answer.

Your IT staff should be monitoring all traffic through your firewalls and therefore should be monitoring the http(s) traffic from your secret proxy including everywhere that proxy goes. From there, a quick look at your secret proxy would show your connections to it (via SSL, SSH, or whatever) and pretty easily reveal what you're doing. Again, all this depends upon the knowledge/skill level of your IT staff.

P.S. I was just in Carrollton this weekend. Drove through there heading to Smithfield for a golf tourney at Cyprus Creek.

P.P.S. Appreciate the comments on the brewery.

I don't think so. Once you've established a SSH connection to the proxy, the only thing an outsider will be able to tell is that you've got a connection to the proxy. They wouldn't be able to tell what traffic it sends/receives unless it is also located inside the firewall (in which case everything I just said is bunk and the proxy buys you nothing). ;)

Nate said:
Your IT staff should be monitoring all traffic through your firewalls and therefore should be monitoring the http(s) traffic from your secret proxy including everywhere that proxy goes.

Normally that'd be true, but like I said it's tunneled so there is no https traffic. It's all ssh traffic so it looks like just normal encrypted traffic, which is pretty much all we do anyway. Oh and my proxy is external to the building, on a server in another datacenter unrelated to my job.

Nate said:
P.S. I was just in Carrollton this weekend. Drove through there heading to Smithfield for a golf tourney at Cyprus Creek.

P.P.S. Appreciate the comments on the brewery.

We love it out in Carrollton, we escaped Virginia Beach about 3 years ago. Shoulda stopped by for a homebrew! :mug:

I think we have gone offtopic.. hehe.

dale

....then you get that email from your security group saying you have an awful lot of SSH traffic off your port on the switch and they want to know why you are having that much outbound SSH :D

Nah, you'd do this through an encrypted link to another computer you've already hi-jacked as your botnet C&C. They'd never know. ;)

98EXL said:
....then you get that email from your security group saying you have an awful lot of SSH traffic off your port on the switch and they want to know why you are having that much outbound SSH :D

Unless of course that traffic isn't really on your PC and instead on a development Linux box (of 100's) somewhere in one of the computer rooms....

phooka said:
Normally that'd be true, but like I said it's tunneled so there is no https traffic. It's all ssh traffic so it looks like just normal encrypted traffic, which is pretty much all we do anyway. Oh and my proxy is external to the building, on a server in another datacenter unrelated to my job.

We love it out in Carrollton, we escaped Virginia Beach about 3 years ago. Shoulda stopped by for a homebrew! :mug:

I think we have gone offtopic.. hehe.

dale

The key here is your proxy is off network. If it were still behind your firewalls, your web traffic would be still be monitored. Most people don't have the ability to run a tunnel to an off-site proxy.

Yeah, we need to get all the local brewers together again... there are quite a few in the area. Dude usually coordinates these things. :)

Nate said:
Most people don't have the ability to run a tunnel to an off-site proxy.
What makes you think that? You can run PUTTY and as long as port 22 isn't blocked on the firewall, then you've got no problems.

-- I couldn't resist. I'm the mosquito attracted to that pretty UV light. ;)

Nate said:
The key here is your proxy is off network. If it were still behind your firewalls, your web traffic would be still be monitored. Most people don't have the ability to run a tunnel to an off-site proxy.

I'm not 'most people'. Heh heh.

Nate said:
Yeah, we need to get all the local brewers together again... there are quite a few in the area. Dude usually coordinates these things. :)

I really need to get together with whatever the local group is doing... The LHBS had 'cook out' in the parking lot a couple months back I wanted to go to and meet some people. Just didn't make it. Darn kids had other plans.

Lil' Sparky said:
What makes you think that? You can run PUTTY and as long as port 22 isn't blocked on the firewall, then you've got no problems.

I think the point he was trying to make was it's not normally within the range of most people to securely setup their own private proxy, setup a local loop, ssh a tunnel your proxy to your remote proxy system and connect just like you were home. I know my Mom could never do it. :)

Lil' Sparky said:
At least you tipped... unless it's an EAC driving the car.

I think I ventured into EAC world yesterday, boldly stating I was right about something

I was joking about being a car wash guy. Although right now the guys who do wash cars down the street are going to get a break, here comes some rain.

I also am an IT guy, who always leaves himself a way to surf the web when I want :D

Yeah, I figured as much. Non-IT types don't have any idea what in the hell was said since the 1st post.

I once taught some of my students at the US Air Force Academy how to get around the retarded restrictions there. ;)

That was then, this is now. I'm sticking to my burger-flippin' bit.

Latest posts

Back