The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > New Years Weight Loss Plans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Wedding is June 8th of this year. Between now and then, I need to drop about 20 pounds.

I plan to do it by giving up food. I'd give up beer, but I'd die.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #12
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso
Wedding is June 8th of this year. Between now and then, I need to drop about 20 pounds.

I plan to do it by giving up food. I'd give up beer, but I'd die.
Same here pretty much. Looking to drop about 15-20lbs by June 6th

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 01-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This little dude in my sig was #2 and resulted in about 20 lbs extra round the middle. Got back into homebrewing, too, which didn't help. Running always worked for me but now I've got a bum knee and was advised against it by my Dr.

Low carb + weights...we'll see what happens! I'm with most of you - I can do without food, but beer? No can do, professor.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I might as well throw my hat into the ring here as well...

A little over 8 years ago (I'm now 30), I weighed around 295. In about 18 months I got down to 185lbs. I followed the Bill Phillips (of EAS) book Body For Life (wiki) religiously (Bill says weights on Day 1 3 5 and Cardio on 2 4 6, with Day 7 off (including eating/drinking what you want on the 7th day). I, for a while did cardio almost 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day for a period of time). Needless to say, that's tough, near impossible to keep up (nevermind years later being married and having a child). After cutting back on overdoing it, I leveled out at around 195. Years later (after getting married, and having a child), I have fluctuated between 200-230(which is what I currently am at now). So at this point I'm really just jogging/running 3 miles 3-5 times a week and haven't been lifting weights. Eating and beer drinking haven't been the best either. So hopefully the New Year will be some form of inspiration to get down to my goal weight of 195 (45lbs to lose). I'm willing to check in weekly/bimonthly/monthly/whatever if anyone else is game...

Old 01-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik
I might as well throw my hat into the ring here as well...

A little over 8 years ago (I'm now 30), I weighed around 295. In about 18 months I got down to 185lbs. I followed the Bill Phillips (of EAS) book Body For Life (wiki) religiously (Bill says weights on Day 1 3 5 and Cardio on 2 4 6, with Day 7 off (including eating/drinking what you want on the 7th day). I, for a while did cardio almost 7 days a week, sometimes twice a day for a period of time). Needless to say, that's tough, near impossible to keep up (nevermind years later being married and having a child). After cutting back on overdoing it, I leveled out at around 195. Years later (after getting married, and having a child), I have fluctuated between 200-230(which is what I currently am at now). So at this point I'm really just jogging/running 3 miles 3-5 times a week and haven't been lifting weights. Eating and beer drinking haven't been the best either. So hopefully the New Year will be some form of inspiration to get down to my goal weight of 195 (45lbs to lose). I'm willing to check in weekly/bimonthly/monthly/whatever if anyone else is game...
I'd be willing to check in. We could maintain a "support group" type thing...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive
I'd be willing to check in. We could maintain a "support group" type thing...
Buncha guys/gals sitting at their computers, drinking beer, talking about how they're having trouble losing weight?

j/k

Sounds like a good idea. Last year I think there may even have been a contest. I don't need that, but knwoing you all are "watching" might keep me from reaching for that "extra" brew...

Old 01-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #17
Drunkensatyr

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds like it is time to start up the HBT weight loss swap again. I am hoping to shed about 35 in the next 6 months. Quit drinking on weekdays and started working out again.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
Buncha guys/gals sitting at their computers, drinking beer, talking about how they're having trouble losing weight?

j/k

Sounds like a good idea. Last year I think there may even have been a contest. I don't need that, but knwoing you all are "watching" might keep me from reaching for that "extra" brew...
Yeah, the communication would help keep us honest. I know I'd benefit from it...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
chthonik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't need to lose much, just what I gained over winter break (I work at a school and we're off for a week). It's scarier that I gained 10 lbs during that time!

Back to biking to work in the cold and the wind. But if the alternative is giving up beer...

Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
sdhucks7

Recipes 

Im in on the soon to be getting married weight loss. I have untill May 13th to drop at least 30lbs. Getting married on the beach in Mexico i have to look good. Plus i got 100 bucks ridding on it as well! Figured i might as well make a few bucks before the trip!

SD

Quick Reply