Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > New car buying tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
moscoeb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal
I could care less if the dealership doesn't make money on the sale. I let them worry about it. I assume they aren't going to do business that puts them out of business.

Just remember it's SO easy to walk away! Once you are willing to do that over a car prices, you have all the control.

Added costs to the final contract? No thanks.

Remember that they might give you a good deal on trade-in, but they are making it up in price... Or rate... Or term... Dealers have all several methods of making the numbers work in their favor. A lot of people don't figure out that getting a guaranteed trade-in price only makes one of the other factors go up. The dealers aren't actually advertising the trade-in value because they care so much about you. They know that it gets people on their lot to begin with, then they can (often) have their with the pricing to make the customer buy the car.

Don't be afraid to haggle any of the rate, term, price, trade. Best is to get financing outside and just haggle price.

And if anyone refuses to return my keys, I have a cell phone which I can use to call the police to get them back. At that point they probably understand that I'm not buying a car from them and they can give up. There are WAY too many dealerships in driving distance, even in my neck of the woods, for me to want to do business with jerks like that.

Dealers today understand that there are many ways for customers to get the pricing on cars. Not like the good old days when they could tell you anything they wanted. Go get that information and use it to your advantage. For me, I buy used cars and that's even riskier, because you never know WHAT the heck has happened to that car and you are rolling the dice on repairs. But that's the financial situation I'm in. I can fix most things for less than someone who has to have it done by a mechanic.
This^

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #22
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
For me, I buy used cars and that's even riskier, because you never know WHAT the heck has happened to that car and you are rolling the dice on repairs. But that's the financial situation I'm in. I can fix most things for less than someone who has to have it done by a mechanic.
I do the same. Had several cars, all privately purchased for cash. And that is my preferred method. I can fix just about anything that goes wrong. But, this is for the woman. I want to save her money and fix her car when it breaks, but she just gets so impatient if it's something I need to research a little before fixing. So, new or slightly used is the best for her. And she can take it to the dealer when it breaks.

I appreciate all the tips. I have done tons of reading. And with all the info I got right here I feel armed to the teeth for negotiation.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 243 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just an update on this thread if anyone cares. We bought a used car recently and I would say it was a fantastic deal. I got them to drop the price $2500 and throw in a 100k warranty for free. Paid $2k under what Edmunds and kbb said was the average price.

At first they wouldn't budge on price. But as everyone says, your greatest power is walking away. I reminded myself this and we started walking. Got to the door and the manager came begging to sell us the car. I told him my price and pointed out how many of this car was out there (within 20 miles nonetheless) for the same asking price and that I was confident that someone would be willing to work a deal with me. I stared silently at him until he spoke. He countered, I reminded him he has another identical car on the lot that had already sat for 90 days so it would make sense that this one would too, I was there to take it off his hands. He finally threw out a good number and added warranty. Sold! Not going to lie, it was pretty fun.

My advice to others after my only dealer purchase, specifically used. Come armed to the teeth with knowledge. Know what the next closest dealers are selling the same car for and how many there are, this will tell you truly that if the first deal doesn't work, there is another car down the road. Don't be afraid to remind salesmen this. Know what other similar models they have on their own lot. Pick an amount you want to pay and get it. I was hesitant to throw out such a low number because I had heard some dealers will just laugh at you, no reason not to try, there's another dealer down the road with the same car.

Anyhow, this kind of just verifies all the info out there, it does help you get a good deal. Good luck to anyone else out there doing the same task.

Quick Reply