Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > New car buying tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 21 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New car buying tips?

Due to circumstances I think I'll need to take the fiance to buy a new car. I no longer wish to work on her car when it breaks (too much frustration) so whether I like the idea or not, a brand new car is likely.

I've read on and on through google for pointers and have a good idea how to approach it to get the best deal, but nothing beats what personal experience can give me. Having never bought a new car at the dealer, what are your real world tips?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3066 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 2602

I've bought lots of them. IMO just walk in and ask for invoice and no dealer fees. When they say no, leave your card and walk. They REALLY don't want you to walk. I've had them come after me in the parking lot before.

The dealer fees can be crazy. Transportation fees of $500+. They might not even mention these until the paperwork is getting done. By then they've got you on the hook. Just be prepared to walk; in fact, practice this a few times.

Make sure your fiance is on the same page.

Don't trade tinting, undercoating, or pin stripes for money discounts. IMO the tinting sucks, the undercoating isn't necessary any more. Ford used to sell a lifetime wax job for $500. Bwah!

Better dealers (for better cars) will let you take the car for a day or two. I bought an infinity this way. It's a great way to figure out if it's the car for you. Just ask them for this.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
OlieNH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I am a huge fan of the service offered at http://fightingchance.com. For $40, you get all the research and invoice pricing of the make and model you are looking for, along with an approach to call the dealer's GMs to negotiate a price before you arrive. I bought my wife a new 4-Runner for about $1000 below invoice.

On Deck: 15 gallons of Robust Porter
On Deck: Rye IPA
Primary: Belgian Golden Strong with Chimay Strain
Primary 2: Belgian Golden Strong with Abbey Ale Strain
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Keg 2: More Apfelwien
Keg 2: Battle Axe Double IPA
Keg 3: Exctract Pale Ale
Keg 4:
Keg 5:
Keg 6:
Bourbon Barrel: Breakfast Stout

Old 06-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
moscoeb
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

Do your research, know exactly what you want as far as options and trim levels. Know the invoice cost before you go, DON'T make an impulse buy. Play multiple dealers against each other to get the best price. If they don't have what you want on the lot, they can order it for you, no extra cost! So get exactly what you want, and tell them dealer x said they would sell it for this, then go to dealer x and say dealer y said this, beat it. Keep continuing until one can't or wont beat the other. May take you weeks, but will save you 2-5,000$ at least!
When you start negotiating price, start at edmunds invoice, not sticker price. Walk away if a salesman starts to give you crap, tell him to shove it and leave. When you have the power to walk, you are in charge.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

As odd as it sounds what ever you do don't give them your keys to what ever you drive into the lot with. I've had one dealership offer to wash my current vehicle while we talked to the salesperson. I was skeptical, but a free car wash is a free car wash.

However when you want to walk away because they won't come down to the price you want to pay... you don't have any keys.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This all kind of validates what I've read. Good to know. I just need to make sure my fiance knows this isn't going to be a, walk into the first dealer and buy a car, kind of thing. She will need to wear her patient pants that day.

I've bought many cars from private sellers for myself, and plan to continue. But negotiating with a dealer will be a fun endeavor.

And believe it or not, IXVolt, I've heard that before. We'll be driving my car into the lot, so they won't be touching it.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
stevereigh
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan View Post
This all kind of validates what I've read. Good to know. I just need to make sure my fiance knows this isn't going to be a, walk into the first dealer and buy a car, kind of thing. She will need to wear her patient pants that day.

I've bought many cars from private sellers for myself, and plan to continue. But negotiating with a dealer will be a fun endeavor.

And believe it or not, IXVolt, I've heard that before. We'll be driving my car into the lot, so they won't be touching it.
If you want a really good deal, make sure she's not wearing ANY pants, leave the patient pants at home...

Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

good thinking. Short skirt it is!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I just do the research all online, find the car I want at a price that is right, walk in, tell the salesman I want that one. And then drive it home. If I need to be talking and haggling it down, either I don't want it bad enough, or I am looking at cars out of my budget range (typically the later). You need to remember, while you want a deal, the salesman's livelihood is completely based upon his selling cars, and his selling cars for a price he can keep his job with.

With my wife's car we looked at several makes, once she settled on a make and model, we found a dealer where we could also get service, Price was in our range (Actually just out of as we decided last minute we wanted the model with EVERY option available, so had to add $2,000, big deal) Salesman was also a past homebrewer.

Forgot. When I have a trade I will always have a price in mind, THIS PRICE. then do a give and take. Say you have a trade you value at $21,000, when they come back at $20,500, it's a mute point to haggle over the $500. You can, but the point is less. Now if the come back at $18,000. Then you can argue. But also be sure you are reasonable in your amount. I traded a 2500 Dodge 4x4 Diesel the NADA and KBB valued at $24,000. However, I knew we had rolled it and it had been repaired (about the same amount of $$ in damage), so I when they offered $21,500, I was happy with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 06-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
I just do the research all online, find the car I want at a price that is right, walk in, tell the salesman I want that one. And then drive it home. If I need to be talking and haggling it down, either I don't want it bad enough, or I am looking at cars out of my budget range (typically the later). You need to remember, while you want a deal, the salesman's livelihood is completely based upon his selling cars, and his selling cars for a price he can keep his job with.

With my wife's car we looked at several makes, once she settled on a make and model, we found a dealer where we could also get service, Price was in our range (Actually just out of as we decided last minute we wanted the model with EVERY option available, so had to add $2,000, big deal) Salesman was also a past homebrewer.

Forgot. When I have a trade I will always have a price in mind, THIS PRICE. then do a give and take. Say you have a trade you value at $21,000, when they come back at $20,500, it's a mute point to haggle over the $500. You can, but the point is less. Now if the come back at $18,000. Then you can argue. But also be sure you are reasonable in your amount. I traded a 2500 Dodge 4x4 Diesel the NADA and KBB valued at $24,000. However, I knew we had rolled it and it had been repaired (about the same amount of $$ in damage), so I when they offered $21,500, I was happy with that.
I have to disagree. Sure a salesman's livelihood depends on getting the most he can, but my livelihood depends on getting the lowest price I can. Between worrying about him and me, I'll choose me. And if you are going into a dealer without negotiation, you are potentially paying thousands more than you actually need to. Not to mention the dealers price includes all sorts of non-essential items and things to just get more from you. Why pay for things you don't need?

I've never purchased from a dealer before but I plan to have her narrow things down to a few cars within our budget. Then we will go in and negotiate on the chosen car. I plan to get the car for the price I want to pay.

Quick Reply