Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Netflix

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
EoinMag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Netflix

This service was just launched in Ireland yesterday, I already signed up for a months free trial.

My question regards the service...is it worth it?

People are saying that once it gets popular that it's a complete lagfest and practically unusable in the evenings, what's your experience of it? Is this true about the quality once the service is taken up by more people?

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

I haven't noticed any major lags, hangs in our service. Maybe 3-4 times total; and we have been watching 3-4 times a week, for about 2 years now.

Our cable is actually much more variable in service, quality, etc.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
This service was just launched in Ireland yesterday, I already signed up for a months free trial.

My question regards the service...is it worth it?

People are saying that once it gets popular that it's a complete lagfest and practically unusable in the evenings, what's your experience of it? Is this true about the quality once the service is taken up by more people?
Works just fine for me. Never had a quality issue with streaming services. I use High Speed cable for the data lines tho' and have 802.11N/gigabit ethernet hardware. Can stream to all the devices in teh house simulataneously without a single hiccup.

Problem is, most everythiong in the catalog is from the 90's back. You won;t see much of anything new in Netflix streaming save some series TV.

I keep the service mostly because it has an excellent cartoon series/movie selection and is great for the kids.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I dropped my DVD service and stuck with just the streaming. I have a playstation for the main family room, and an internet TV for the bedroom that allow Netflix streaming. Along with PC, tablet, iphone...I can pretty much get Netflix where ever I want.

Haven't had any issues with lag time on any of the devices. They don't have a great movie selection, but there are a lot of shows that I am rewatching ( just finishing up Season one of 24 ).

As far as the cartoons, it's been great watching some of the shows I watched as a kid with my son.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
wailingguitar
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 424

I use the streaming as well, daily. There doesn't seem to be any issues of lag that correlate to a specific time of day. Every once in a while there is a minor problem, but nothing noteworthy. Best entertainment $ I have spent. My favorite part is that I get to see a lot of foreign and independent films that I never would have even heard of otherwise. I disagree about the statement that you won't see anything "new"... there are lots of new/newer movies as well as TV... For instance, I have all three original Millenium Trilogy (Girl with dragon tattoo, etc) films in my queue, along with Blitz (a recent Jason Statham flick), the new True Grit, and so on... lots of good stuff. We have cable in the living room, I only watch it for the news... and then only rarely, I get most of my news online.

"Why did you.... what was the point of... how drunk were you when you decided this was a good idea?" - DMartin

Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2021 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

I notice a small degradation in service once in a while, but we watch something nearly every single evening. Even when I'm playing SWTOR, the wife is usually watching her latest addition, and the oldest is watching Star Trek or Dr. Who or whatever.

I'd say it's well worth it if you enjoy watching tv series that you may have missed, the odd movie, or old shows. There isn't as many newer movies, but I can get my fix of those by renting whatever I want to watch locally.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
derte
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Love it - for 8 USD a month its worth it... get to watch all those shows I never had time for at my leisure.

As far as lag - every now and again it just take a while for the video to load, once loaded I have not seen any issues.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
ImperialWolf
Recipes 

I've had it since 2001 and overall i've been happy with it. Nothing is perfect but they'll keep getting my money.

I get some slowdown everyone once in awhile, but that is because I'm watching it on a PS3, over a wireless network with the video quality set to the highest. It doesn't happen enough to make me want to change anything.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Unlimited streaming = AWESOME

No, not the lates hollywood pice of sh!t, but SO many indy and fantastic unknown movies, who cares?

Unless you only like to watch Ben Aflec and Vin Diesel and Nicholas Cage's latest piece of crap, (Vin and Nich have a few gems, but not their latest) at $6.99/month I will NEVER drop this.

RUBBER, Deathproof, HORDE, that is all I have to say. NEVER heard of them, NEVER would have seen them otherwise. I would pay (REMOVED UNLESS NETFLIX SHOULD HAPPEN ACROSS THIS, but let's assume it is at least several times 6.99) for this service.

Occasionally, when my kids are streaming youtube, I get a minute or so "Loading" message, but my internet is far from the fastest since I am CHEAP.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used to have it but when they started upping the prices and splitting services, etc... I got frustrated and went back to Blockbuster.

I will say that most of the time the streaming service was fine (I have a media pc attached to my tv) but there were the occasions where we would have people over and it would be laggy and frustrating.

_

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Quick Reply