Neighbor Stole SWMBO's pain meds--call the cops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyin' Lion

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all. Last night my wife noticed her (100 count) bottle of Oxycodone was gone. She immediately jumped to the conclusion that our dirtbag neighbor, who steals pain meds from his grandfather and was in our house at least three times this week, stole them. She called him at 11:00 PM last night and after going all "Jersey" on him, he fessed up. She wanted to call the cops, I said no.

Now, we've known these people for eight years and they have been like family to us. But, this level of betrayal is unforgiveable (he stole pain meds from a cancer patient). My thinking, though, is that if we called the cops then we become the "bad guys" and I don't want to push a drug addict into some irrational act.

So here's the poll, would you have called the cops (SWMBO still wants to)?

EDIT: he's got a record already and his previous stints in jail have done nothing to "teach him a lesson."

EDIT 2: SWMBO was able to recover 55 of the 97 pills that were taken. We assume he sold the rest.

Call the cops, he committed a crime. No question there.

Give him a cockpunch to get the point across.

Oh man that's a tuffy. On one hand he obviously has an addiction, but remember he is the one who cut the relationship not you. I would involve the police only if you are prepared to have him hate you. It was a cockpunch worthy act, that's for sure. I voted "no" but that is a preliminary action. Did he return what was stolen? He confessed, what did he say after that? I also think how you handle the situation is important as well if you want to try and preserve any part of the relationship. Otherwise, a phone call to the police is in order.

I voted to call the cops, but since you know the guy's a dirtbag already you could ask for them back or else...if he refuses, tell him that it's him placing himself in this situation not you. :D

By calling the police, you may be saving one of your neighbors from being robbed. He needs help if he is stealing from family and friends. How do you know hasn't victimized someone else already? Do you have any elderly neighbors? His next crime, and it is a crime, may be quite a bit more forceful.

A lot of dirt-bags are really nice people... that doesn't mean you don't have to watch them like a hawk. If he is stealing from you and you have a personal relationship with him, he just ended it. Call the cops and put him away. I would also consider a restraining order.

As much as I believe in being a friendly neighbor before just calling the cops and making things bad - this guy has a problem and this is not a one time thing. It's one thing if something happens once and the guy is normally a good person, but if he's a dirtbag...nail him to the wall.

+1 on the cockpunch idea

tough one. why again was the crack head in your house three times last week?

He would come over to ask to borrow money or look something up on the computer because his was "down."

He's stolen prescription meds from his grandfather and smokes weed--not a crack head.

That being said, it was oversight on our part by not keeping watchful eye on him while he was here.

The title pretty much says it all. Last night my wife noticed her (100 count) bottle of Oxycodone was gone. She immediately jumped to the conclusion that our dirtbag neighbor, who steals pain meds from his grandfather and was in our house at least three times this week, stole them. She called him at 11:00 PM last night and after going all "Jersey" on him, he fessed up. She wanted to call the cops, I said no.

Now, we've known these people for eight years and they have been like family to us. But, this level of betrayal is unforgiveable (he stole pain meds from a cancer patient). My thinking, though, is that if we called the cops then we become the "bad guys" and I don't want to push a drug addict into some irrational act.

So here's the poll, would you have called the cops (SWMBO still wants to)?

EDIT: he's got a record already and his previous stints in jail have done nothing to "teach him a lesson."

Lets put aside that it was immoral, and illegal to do what he did. Bottom line is for someone to steal pain meds from a cancer patient, you have to have a serious addiction.

By you guys not calling the cops, you're enabling him to continue his lifestyle. He won't get over his addition, and will probably do things like this in the future.

You need to do the right thing.

According to this site:

"OxyContin can be rather expensive. A 40mg tablet (prescribed from a doctor) costs approximately $4, but the street value (the cost when illegally obtaining the drug) can range in price from $25 to $40."

$40 time 100 pills= $4000.

Just sayin'

If you don't make this an issue he's going to continue to steal. Worst thing you could do is NOT report this.

And this reflects badly on your family. Since SWMBO is down about half her prescription, what type of questions pop up when she has to refill early?

+1 on the restraining order and the cop calling. The wouldn't want him or any of his friends or family so much to look at my house, yard or family anymore. One thing I've learned about scumbags is they tend to hang around with at least one other scumbag.

I dunno. It seems to me you have already decided not to call the cops or that would have been done at confession. Whatever you do decide the most important thing now is that, you don't have a neighbor anymore. No more favors, no chummy chit, feck that! At this point, that sumumumbich don't even get a look and a nod. He no longer exists!

I would involve the police only if you are prepared to have him hate you. It was a cockpunch worthy act, that's for sure. I voted "no" but that is a preliminary action. Did he return what was stolen? He confessed, what did he say after that? I also think how you handle the situation is important as well if you want to try and preserve any part of the relationship. Otherwise, a phone call to the police is in order.

I am very non-confrontational, so I don't want to put my family into a position where this guy holds a grudge and does something irrational. This is my emotional response, rationally he should be punished, I know, but the punishment would not last and his resentment would.

He returned 55 of the 97 pills that were stolen. We assume he sold the rest.

I dunno. It seems to me you have already decided not to call the cops or that would have been done at confession. Whatever you do decide the most important thing now is that, you don't have a neighbor anymore. No more favors, no chummy chit, feck that! At this point, that sumumumbich don't even get a look and a nod. He no longer exists!

Oh, he's been written off altogether, but I don't want to make it worse. If I felt that he would actually learn something by going to jail AGAIN, then I would probably side with SWMBO.

Can the cops even do anything at this point? Doesn't it boil down to a he said/ she said, as he is no longer in possession of the drugs.

What about the pill bottle? He did not return it and although a narcotic cannot be refilled without doctor approval, do we need to call the pharmacy (which would lead to calling the cops, I assume)?

I would demand some sort of monetary compensation for the missing pills. I would inform him that be betrayed your trust and this would not the the same ever again.

At the very LEAST, do NOT let him come back over!
+1

as for the cock punch...falcon works better

falconpuch.gif

+1 for calling the cops

+1 for a solid cock punch

D-bags like that probably aren't going to stop their ways anytime soon, and more than likely he'll continue to steal to feed his addiction. If he's stealing from you, someone that he knows pretty well, just imagine what he'd take from a stranger. You'll be doing the neighborhood a favor.

That being said, it was oversight on our part by not keeping watchful eye on him while he was here.

Ok. Why again are you letting someone you don't trust that has been in jail in your house? Jail isn't going to "teach him a lesson". The cops may be able to do something since he has a history. But if the cops arrest him, it would only get him out of your hair until he's released---if he gets jail time and the judge doesn't puss out. He needs to get off the drugs and he has to make that decision.

Forget him, your wife has enough to deal with having cancer. Now it's going to be a pain in the ass to get the prescription filled and she could potentially be missing a few days. What's more important, your wife's comfort or this *********'s?

If you're not confrontational, fine. Call a friend/family member/whoever to come over and club this guy like a baby seal.

I'd call the cops pending another incident. Other than that, I'd not ever let him into the house again.

I say call the cops and report it, they might not investigate but make sure they note that you are afraid of what he might do. Then you need to inform him that he is not welcome near your home anymore. If he does come by then you have every cause to be in fear for your life, and can protect yourself and your family however you feel is appropriate, I'd probably stick a shotgun in his face the first time he came by.

I think that I would call the cops. He now knows what drugs are available in the house, and where they're located. Of course I wouldn't let him in the house again, but what if he "lets himself in" when you're not home?

My FIL best buds son has a "PROBLEM" with pain killers. Used to work for us at our pub. Would appear at another bartenders home when she was gone and the teenage kids were there and help himself to what he wanted. Even stole meds from my in-laws house too. His folks shelter him from any "interference" into the problem. After freaking out on my wife he was shown the door but is still welcome to come around and his brothers have informed me that if have to take matters into my own hands to protect my family and such that they will jack ME up! Bring it on biatch!!

I would report the theft because as you can see it can/will get out of hand down the road and YOU may be held responsible down the road for what he or others do with or on your drugs.

I think that I would call the cops. He now knows what drugs are available in the house, and where they're located. Of course I wouldn't let him in the house again, but what if he "lets himself in" when you're not home?

See this is something I hadn't thought of. I am torn on this decision because I'm mostly looking to protect my family. Is that better served by letting it go or calling the cops.

We did get (most of) the pills back. He nor any of his family is allowed on our property again, ever! And remember, this is someone we thought could be somewhat trusted, not just a complete stranger.

You need to get your version of the events on the record. Tomorrow this guy gets picked up with some pills and he flips and says your wife sold them to you.

I said no because you've already confronted him and got a confession. He's barred from the home but you should keep those pills locked up. Warn him that if it happens a second time you will call the police. If he was a friend as you say, you can at least deal with this one yourself.

Hope your wife gets better soon.

You need to get your version of the events on the record. Tomorrow this guy gets picked up with some pills and he flips and says your wife sold them to you.

Exactly

When you're that far gone to steal from "friends" how much easier is it to lie to protect yourself?

Once again olllllo, your wisdom is undeniable. I guess its time to call SWMBO...

I'd at least file a Police report and opt not to press charges. Just to have something on record encase he does something in the future like break into your home while your gone.

Make a police report - he has the pill bottle with your wife's info on it. It would go a long way toward protecting your family and getting a new prescription when what is left runs out.

+1 - on not filing charges if you want to keep resentment down with your neighbor. They will likely release him within days or even hours.

Bingo. I made sure I read through the posts to see if someone said this. Bottom line if he gets pulled over for speeding, and see's that bottle, guess who's in trouble. If you have it on record that he stole the pills, then you're golden.

My mother had the neighbor kid break into her house and steal medication as well. He ended up shooting himself in the head and that took care of that on-going issue. Point-being - I think you definitely need to call the cops because people like that tend to escalate. It won't stop at stealing some pills.

obvious he is an addict jail might be the wake up call for him. I used to be a chef so like 1/2 my friends are in AA or NA. You need to hit bottom before u can get help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back