Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Need URGENT help - Turkey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
elkdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

+1 on Alton Brown. I'm 27 and can cook pretty much any meat I come across- I got into it all through Alton Brown.

Poultry on the bone is worth it, imo, because it's a whole lot easier to get a juicy, flavorful product. You can also get a whole chicken really cheap and feed yourself for a few days with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso
God, my generation is in for a wild ride. We really need "Adulthood for Dummies" or something.
You said a mouthful there! They really need to bring fundamental life skills back to our schools. Some good places to start would be cooking fundamentals, basic automotive skills (I'm amazed how many people have NO IDEA how to change a tire!) and how to file a simple tax return.

I agree with the Alton Brown suggestion. He really demystifies cooking, and makes it very entertaining as well.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I took cooking classes at school. It gave me a foundation. Plus my Grandma and Mum bother made real food.

I think the last 20 year has seen too many ready meals and Corporations making prfit from food.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

next time you try a turkey just empty the cavity,gizzards,neck etc. put the bird in the pan on some whole carrots(peeled). add one beer of choice(i like either boston lager or a balanced apa) cover with foil or pan lid set oven for 325 and roast for about 1/2hr/pound. with 30-45 min left uncover and baste with juices in pan, leave uncovered and finish till internal temp is 160-170. carve and enjoy

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 01-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #15
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
...and how to file a simple tax return.
Case in point: SWMBO had never filed one before we got engaged.

I've been thinking I should take a class at the local community college. I'll definitely give Alton Brown a shot too. I've never watched his show due to not watching TV often enough, but it sounds good.

Orfy, guess what my mom mostly cooks? Lasagna, meatloaf, casseroles, boneless skinless chicken breast....... sounds like my list

GOD there's that cavity word again! Ew!

Thanks again for helping my dumb a$$ through this.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #16
Melana
Up to no good....
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1318 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Maybe start with a chicken first? Roasting is fairly easy to do and can yield tasty results. My husband was not cracked up about whole bone-in chicken until i started cooking for him... Come to think of it there were a lot of things that he refused to eat before he met me.
Has your SWMBO tried smoked shoulder? My husband hates ham but loves smoked shoulder!
There are a lot of evening classes at our local Vocational High School that cover a few dozen cooking related topics. I took a bread class (it was a little basic for me) and had a wonderful time!

Quick Reply