My neighbor just crashed his car into my house

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... drunk is one thing.. that bloke must have been blotto to be so far off the road and across the lawn like that!

He said twelve tickets last night.I also found out today that he did 45 days a
couple of years ago for DUI and was recently talking at the bar down the street that he
has joined the ranks of drivers with no licence.Don`t know how true that is because
vehicle report has a licence number on it.Could that be a drivers permit for working?
If so he is really screwed driving drunk at 9 p.m.

And to add...

If you crash into someone's house and all you have to say is "Oh, I am sorry I will pay your deductible," you are either incredibly stupid or incredibly arrogant. And you deserve to be kicked in the balls (in addition to being kicked in the balls for driving drunk).

Want to show how you are sorry, pay for it all. Jeebus.

This guy needs some help. Jail and losing his job are probably good starts.

He said twelve tickets last night.I also found out today that he did 45 days a
couple of years ago for DUI and was recently talking at the bar down the street that he
has joined the ranks of drivers with no licence.Don`t know how true that is because
vehicle report has a licence number on it.Could that be a drivers permit for working?
If so he is really screwed driving drunk at 9 p.m.

All the more reason to not make it any easier on the guy.

The next house could be the kids bedroom. This guy needs to be off the streets.

Yo, Stikks! I just came home from Crystal Lake [chiropractor and Brew-n-Grow]. If I had known where you lived in C.L., I would have driven by and looked at the damage!

You are doing exactly what you need to do: LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY HANDLE THE ENTIRE THING. But don't sign ANYTHING until all the repairs are completed to YOUR satisfaction.

glenn514:mug:

I dont think there is much mercy for a person who goes to jail for doing something, and then does it again down the road. Either he's a SERIOUS alcoholic, or doesnt respect the law. Either way he needs help.

Sounds like he had one too many last night, wrecked the company van into your house, and then ran like a chicken ****.
Likely means the company's insurance will cover your repairs, and he's probably out of a job and looking at DUI conviction.

You only run because you have something to hide. Drugs, intoxication, a weapon, or a warrant.

Wait, was it this guy??

allstate.jpg

Lawyer up, get his insurance to pay absolutely everything.

EDIT: wait, he's a repeat offender? SUE SUE SUE SUE SUE.

At this point, you don't need to lawyer up.

If you have a half-way decent insurance company, they will:
1. make you whole (repairs etc.)
2. not take any deductible
3. do all the work regarding the guys insurance or lack thereof

If you go out right now and get a lawyer, you will only be paying some $250-500 to tell you points 1-3 above.

The only way you would want a lawyer, is if your insurance company did not do points 1-3.

Agreed. OP just look at it this way... since you arent trying to sue him (likely squeezing blood from a stone anyway) you ARE giving him a break. Its admirable to be kind and forgiving, but not to your detriment.

At this point, you don't need to lawyer up.

If you have a half-way decent insurance company, they will:
1. make you whole (repairs etc.)
2. not take any deductible
3. do all the work regarding the guys insurance or lack thereof

If you go out right now and get a lawyer, you will only be paying some $250-500 to tell you points 1-3 above.

The only way you would want a lawyer, is if your insurance company did not do points 1-3.

Do you know any contractors? It may be worth having one come out to give the house a once over to make sure that the adjusters estimate for repair are complete.

You did mention to the adjuster that upon hearing the noise you fell out of bed and now your back hurts...right. Sadly that is the only way you'll come out ahead, I know the same thing happened to me 30 years ago

Wow, coming late to this game. I'm glad nobody got hurt, especially your homebrew!

Insurance company stooges are the worst! I totaled my first car two weeks after getting it, broke my hand and had no ride a week before my first day at college (got some sympathy attention from the girls though :p). The wreck wasn't my fault and the driver was unlicensed, uninsured, driving a vehicle that wasn't hers and had a loaded weapon that didn't belong to her in the car. She walked away from the accident scratch-free of course. She also tried to leave the scene of the accident, which didn't happen only because I stopped her. It was a mess. I had to get lawyers involved when my hand didn't heal properly and I had a subsequent surgery. All in all, it took 7 years to be done with it.

Hopefully your situation will not involve lawyers and will go smoothly.

I agree with several people here, let the insurance company handle everything and as glen514 said, do not sign a thing until all is right by your reckoning.

Well guys/gals I just finished cleaning up the yard a bit and with all the crap I went
through today I`m beat.The adjuster said by friday I should hear something from ins.
co.Recovery dude came over and put up a tarp (which I was gonna do anyway) but
it worked out ok because adjuster and him showed up 5 minutes apart-coincidence-
For anybody following this thread I`m gonna have a couple of my Nut Browns and hit
the hay.I`ll post a couple of pics in the morning to show you where I`m at right now
with the exterior.No news till friday.Tomorrow I`m gonna brew-SWMBO`s favorite-
Vanilla Cream Ale,relax a bit and wait for the word friday.Thanks for the support.

:mug:

What a brutal day,the drunk has been by 3 times apologizing,I`m tired.

That dude needs to be in jail. What kind of joke is a $300 bond? He's gonna kill someone. If he's done jail time for DUI, how does a judge let him out?

IS it worth it to have an engineer/home inspector look at the structure of the rest of the house? The energy from the impact went somewhere and there may be damage elsewhere where you wouldnt suspect

Olive Drab said:
IS it worth it to have an engineer/home inspector look at the structure of the rest of the house? The energy from the impact went somewhere and there may be damage elsewhere where you wouldnt suspect

Absolutely it's worth it, considering you should be having to pay a dime. I had the same though looking at the damaged sheet rock on the inside. You know that corner joist must be hurting.

I'm glad nobody was hurt. That guy needs serious help; maybe this will be a turning point for him.
Good luck with your insurance stuff. I know a couple of people who have had claims and did the work themselves, the money was paid directly to them. If you can do some or all of the repairs, you may come out a bit ahead. Assuming the laws are the same where you live.

Well here is where I stand this morning.It was pain clearing those bushes out but
today I brew.Tomorrow I wait to see what ins. co. does.

wreck 003.jpg

wreck 3 001.jpg

When you say the drunk, is he sober when he's calling over at least or is he cut now too?

1st time he came over in the morning he was still hammered,but
later in the day he was sobered up and said he`s done drinking- OK -

I'm glad nobody was hurt. That guy needs serious help; maybe this will be a turning point for him.
Good luck with your insurance stuff. I know a couple of people who have had claims and did the work themselves, the money was paid directly to them. If you can do some or all of the repairs, you may come out a bit ahead. Assuming the laws are the same where you live.

I`m hoping to do alot of it myself if at all possible.I don`t know how it
works in Illinois.But me and my buddies have been in the trades for 25+
years.

The night of the accident the city building inspector came over and said
there was no structural damage,but by the looks of the corner post it
has shifted off the slab a bit.I`ll be able to see better when I tear the
wall out.The inspector seemed to be in a hurry because it was 9 pm and
the cops probably got him out of bed.-thanks for the advice-

Cheers

You did mention to the adjuster that upon hearing the noise you fell out of bed and now your back hurts...right. Sadly that is the only way you'll come out ahead, I know the same thing happened to me 30 years ago

Now looking to get ahead really,If I can do some work myself I maight come
out ahead a little.My back has hurt for 30 years from being a union roofer,
but it was a nice thought.

do yourself a favor and look into a public adjuster . you will get way more money from your home owners insurance .

do yourself a favor and look into a public adjuster . you will get way more money from your home owners insurance .

Do they charge a fee?And wouldn`t my ins. co. frown on that.As of now
the adjuster told me I will have no out of pocket money including deductible.

A public adjuster will take a rather large cut, but they can usually get more out of the insurance company than you would if you didn't use one. The public guy will want to replace the flooring/rugs, include painting and the like, and maybe the roof. They will submit a much larger estimate to the insurance company and argue with them for you. In the end it is your call. Public adjusters can be useful if you think you are getting a raw deal, but depending on your own moral code, they can seem to be quite unscrupulous.

The night of the accident the city building inspector came over and said
there was no structural damage,but by the looks of the corner post it
has shifted off the slab a bit.I`ll be able to see better when I tear the
wall out.The inspector seemed to be in a hurry because it was 9 pm and
the cops probably got him out of bed.-thanks for the advice-

Cheers

Presumably, he was just there to see if part of the building was in imminent danger of collapse, whether he needed to condemn it or not. I wouldn't take his quick 9:00 PM assessment as absolute, someone else will have to take a look once drywall and stuff is removed to see if there's anything structural that needs to be repaired.

stikks said:

yes the public adjuster takes a percentage depending on the amount they get from the insurance company. of course you always replace or repair what you want .

I've found the insurance companies are usually fairly agreeable if you know what you are doing, and aren't trying to screw them. If you have been in the construction business for 25 years, you should have a good idea what needs to be done. Make your list and compare it to the insurance company. If they don't match up, bring it up to the adjuster. If your list is reasonable, and you have one of the major insurance companies, they will probalby agree with you.

If your list has the prices twice as high as normal, and has things that don't need to be done to get you back to where you were before the accident (i.e. All new hardwood floor when you had pine and only a section needs to be replaced), then they will play hardball with you.

That being said, they will probably leave things off the original apprisal and try to cut a few corners. While it sucks, they are in the business to make money and do what they can to do it, but if they deal with someone reasonable they will usually increase their first quote.

I've found the insurance companies are usually fairly agreeable if you know what you are doing, and aren't trying to screw them.

that depends on the insurance, I'm sure. I had cheap-o stuff years ago when I bought my first house (a fixer-upper) and had very limited funds. I got broken into, they ripped the back door off the house with a rope and a truck... so I had the expense of repairs and all my belongings gone.

The insurance company wanted to give me $2,000. I called, fought, cried. When I called a lawyer and they called the insurance company, it was more like $15,000

Back