Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > My LHBS, wow are they opinionated and snobby

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1220 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 643

I find this to be the case in most specialty type stores...fly fishing shops, specialty gardens, ...etc

People suck, period.

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
Zul'jin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

I use two LHBS. One is really a hardware and garden store that also sells home brew supplies and the other is home brew only.

The hardware store is owned by a guy who used to brew, so I'm told. They don't bother me at all in there. I go in, wander around, pick stuff up, put it down; generally mill about like it's my house or something. When I asked how much for a dusty glass carboy they had on the floor, the guy did me solid and offered a Better Bottle, new in box, for less money. Or the same money. Or something. It was the same price as I saw online somewhere, but here I didn't have to pay shipping. These folks don't ask you. You ask them and they are there when you ask. I like that.

The home brew only store, that guy seems cool and all. But like your guy, he is all about short primary time. He'll even look up recipes for me and explain stuff to me; like I'm a re-re, but he doesn't know if I've done this before or not. I just started going there. I will say I went back because he gave me some grain for free. A small cost to gain repeat business. I saw it for that and obliged his gesture. Last time, I told him I usually do recipe kits and add to them. He wrinkled his nose at that. Said the grain in them is old and dried out. Admittedly, the grain I buy from him seems a lot better. More pulpy and with more aroma.

Drunking: All kinds of stuff.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

In any hobby, profession, religion, whatever, there will be people who only know one way of doing things and because it works, they assume it is the only way that works. Hobby stores have very high failure rates for exactly that reason. The owner KNOWS what works and will not tolerate other manufacturers, suppliers, methods or opinions.

The SLHBS I go to only has one big beef: using the main mill for specialty grains. Absolutely VERBOTEN. A real pain some times, but they want to keep it pure for the pilsners.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-21-2009, 02:02 AM   #14
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
but they want to keep it pure for the pilsners.
They ever thought of cleaning it or maybe getting a second one?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2713 Times on 2685 Posts
Likes Given: 113

If David's talking about Corvallis Homebrewing Supply - they have 2 mills, one's big and old - no specialty grains are to go through it. They have a secondary mill with lower capacity that you can run the darker specialty grains through.

All and all though, decent prices and information - and good extract recipies by the owner.

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Quick Reply