Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > My dog is getting me in trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default My dog is getting me in trouble

Not really, but it kind of revolves around her. I'm looking for some reasonable suggestions.

Last night at about dusk I was across the street talking to my neighbor when I noticed a woman walking her two dogs. Not really sure what breed, but something along the lines of Jack Russell Terriers. As she passed my fence, my dog started barking at her. So she stopped. My dog kept barking, so she actually stepped closer to my fence. The whole time, I'm watching this from across the street thinking, "What the hell is she doing?" Then I saw her dog jump up, which drove my dog crazy. Next thing you know, I hear a lot of agressive barking from all three dogs and a little bit of yelping as the woman is freaking out on the sidewalk. At that point, I started yelling at the woman to get away from my fence and my dog. And obviously, we ended up in an argument on the street. After about a minute or so, she moved on and I saw her on the phone apparently calling the police.

So I got a visit from an officer last night. He asked a few questions about what had happened, and she claims that her dog got bit by my dog. As far as I know, its a load of crap because the officer said there was no visible damage to her dog, but I wasn't in a position to say for certain if there was even any contact between them. We talked about different solutions to the idea of liability such as building the fence taller (which would require a code variance), moving the fence back by a couple of feet (which would be very expensive), or getting an underground electric fence (which I just don't like the idea of). And after our discussion, I feel like I'm completely on the losing side of anything that comes my way. Obviously, she has more rights than my dog does.

I don't feel like I'm being unreasonable about this. I mean, who steps closer to a 65 pound dog that's barking at her? I generally stay away from animals that appear to be p!ssed at me. I'd like to think that any intelligent person would, but maybe I expect too much out of humanity.

So what would you do? A thought that I had was to catch her as she is walking her dogs, introduce myself and ask her to just keep moving as she passes my fence. Politely. Then if there are any more problems, maybe suggest a harrassment issue or even a restraining order. Just to protect my family and my dog.

And just as a background, my neighbor told me that this woman had once kicked at her dog because it was following her (on its own property) as she was passing by. I sincerely think she's just a bitter, old, self righteous cranky woman.

Suggestions, please?

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 510 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post

Suggestions, please?

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
homebeerbrewer

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
I sincerely think she's just a bitter, old, self righteous cranky woman.
Yep, that sounds about right.

My two dogs, a 65# shepherd/terrier, and a 110# rotty mix have had the cops called on them before. The big guy isn't too fond of kids, and will try to avoid them. We were at the dog park one time, and a woman with four little brats (well, three, one was in the stroller) was walking in the other direction. The big guy went off to the side to avoid the kids, but one ran right up to him making growling noises. He barked at the kid, I told him to stop and keep moving. He did what he was told, but the mother started screaming at me that I should have my "vicious" dog on a leash. I told her that she should do the same with her kids.

As I was leaving the dog park, I noticed the animal control officer in the parking lot. Thinking that she was there for me, I let the dogs get into the truck before going to talk to her. I asked if she was there for my dogs, and she said "No, I'm looking out for a vicious dog."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaRules View Post
... I just threw up on my wife.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Next time the woman is walking by, tell her to get away from your fence or you'll call the cops for trespassing. Tell her to stay the hell off your property and to keep her aggressive dog off your grass.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 08-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I think a sprinkler that is positioned to wet the old bat might do the trick.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamuus View Post
win!

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
win!
Perhaps a fire hose would be even more effective!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
Perhaps a fire hose would be even more effective!
Win Win!!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
jmendez29

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Next time the woman is walking by, tell her to get away from your fence or you'll call the cops for trespassing. Tell her to stay the hell off your property and to keep her aggressive dog off your grass.
Unfortunately, I can't. My fence goes right up to the sidewalk, which is public domain and she has every right to be there. The officer even explained that if my dog happened to be putting her paws on the fence (which she can and does frequently) and the woman reached over to smack my dog and my dog bit her in retaliation, then the fact that both of them crossed the property line cancel each other out. Then the best she would get is a citation for animal abuse, while my dog would probably get put down. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it goes.

I considered setting up a video camera system on a recording loop, just for liability reasons. Don't know how expensive or how difficult that would be. Probably overkill. I kind of feel like I'm getting the short end because I don't see the need to go to what I think is unreasonable measures for conflict resolution.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
jmendez29

Recipes 

Quote:
I actually thought about that. I learned through a different incident that you cannot lay a garden hose across a sidewalk to water the lawn between the sidewalk and the street, lest a bicyclist were to attempt to traverse said hose and fall upon the sidewalk. Even though the bike is on the sidewalk illegally. But that's a different story...

But if I were to get a sprinkler on a stand that stood higher than my fence, the hose could be in my yard while watering the grass next to the street. My dog stays away from the sprinkler when its on so she would also stay away from the fence. But because the woman already has the report of the incident filed on me, she may be able to spin that as retaliatory efforts. I'm not so sure that would work in my favor.

Quick Reply