Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > My computer is jacked

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
BeerWars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default My computer is jacked

Thanks for iPhones. Without it I would be completely helpless right now.

My computer randomly bonked today. I can get it in safe mode. Ran norton 360. Couldn't fix it.

I tried googling but it is really hard to find what i need on this phone. Is there another tool that I can run that will potentially find the issue?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The Ultimate Boot CD might help.

What's jacked mean? What happens when you try it in normal mode?

Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Back up important files while in safe mode. Repartition, reformat, and reinstall Windows from a completely fresh installation (preferably from an actual Windows disk and not a restore disk or manufacturer's proprietary install disk). I do this about once a year with any Microsoft computer.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
EdWort

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Back up important files while in safe mode. Repartition, reformat, and reinstall Windows from a completely fresh installation (preferably from an actual Windows disk and not a restore disk or manufacturer's proprietary install disk). I do this about once a year with any Microsoft computer.
Yep. I use SugarSync to backup important files and keep folders sync'd between various PCs. It's pretty cool as all my files are in the cloud as well and accessible from anywhere and it even has an iPhone app.

They give you 5 gig for free and if you sign up with the link below, you will get 500 MB more (and so will I, so thanks in advance )

https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=faobtxxayi5x

It's saved my bacon several times.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
The Ultimate Boot CD might help.

What's jacked mean? What happens when you try it in normal mode?
Every single application takes about five minutes to load and will say "not responding" and the computer will freeze for thirty to sixty seconds at a time. It is not a functioning computer.

As far as i know, we do not have any system discs. Would it be worth my effort to try a different restore point?

Bottled:
Apfelwein, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale , Deception Cream Stout, Pine (Pineapple Wine)

Empties:
Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Old 03-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Try the earliest restore point if you can.

You may have a virus at which I recommend FDISK MBR, Format, then complete OS reinstall.

Windows needs to be toasted and reinstalled every 6-9 months anyway to keep things running fresh IMHO. I use imaging software to take a snapshot of a fresh install, updated, with Office updated and my every day use apps. I also keep all my data on a different partition or USB drive (plus backed up to SugarSync and other PCs). This way, I can restore a fresh install in about 10 minutes instead of half a day waiting for a gig of updates to download from MS.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 03-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

the only word I that comes to mind is UBUNTU
http://www.ubuntu.com/

the brewer makes the beer, not the equipment
let the beer tell you when it is finished

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Try the earliest restore point if you can.

You may have a virus at which I recommend FDISK MBR, Format, then complete OS reinstall.

Windows needs to be toasted and reinstalled every 6-9 months anyway to keep things running fresh IMHO. I use imaging software to take a snapshot of a fresh install, updated, with Office updated and my every day use apps. I also keep all my data on a different partition or USB drive (plus backed up to SugarSync and other PCs). This way, I can restore a fresh install in about 10 minutes instead of half a day waiting for a gig of updates to download from MS.
What is fdisk? Is that something that may determine the issue?

Also my friends and family would like to thank you for the recipes! We have literally drank gallons upon gallons of your delicious beer and wine.

Bottled:
Apfelwein, Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale , Deception Cream Stout, Pine (Pineapple Wine)

Empties:

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 629 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by certaut View Post
the only word I that comes to mind is UBUNTU
http://www.ubuntu.com/
While you and I may love Linux, it's not for everyone. The average Windows user can easily migrate to a user friendly Linux distro and surf the net, but I've found that the average Windows user also gets easily frustrated by the lack of compatibility for the types of files and applications they are used to using. I know all about Open Office, Gimp, Inkscape, Samba, etc, etc, but it takes a lot of tinkering to make a Linux computer work like a Windows user expects. IMHO, this option is more troublesome than a fresh Windows install (unless the OP is quite adventurous and more than a little techno-savvy).

Old 03-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
While you and I may love Linux, it's not for everyone. The average Windows user can easily migrate to a user friendly Linux distro and surf the net, but I've found that the average Windows user also gets easily frustrated by the lack of compatibility for the types of files and applications they are used to using. I know all about Open Office, Gimp, Inkscape, Samba, etc, etc, but it takes a lot of tinkering to make a Linux computer work like a Windows user expects. IMHO, this option is more troublesome than a fresh Windows install (unless the OP is quite adventurous and more than a little techno-savvy).
I tried yellow dog on my ps3. I couldn't figure out the most basic commands. And still have no idea what the root is. Lol

I gave up because I couldn't get it to just work (and that was my spare). I can't imagine that frustration on our primary machine. Although this current issue is more than troublesome.

Bottled:

Empties:

Quick Reply