Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > my buddy's demon child

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
superjunior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default my buddy's demon child

A few nights ago I was over at a Friends weighing up and packaging fresh hops. our other buddy and his wife and kid showed up to help. we just get started, trying not to handle the hops too much, carefully weighing, vac sealing than labeling. we had the hops in 4 separate boxes by strain. So about 5 minutes in, my buddies kid (maybe 3-4 years old) starts climbing up my shoulder and lunging into the hop boxes. He was grabbing them with both hands, squishing them and mixing the strains up while the whole time screaming I wanna help, I wanna help, I wanna help!!!!! At first I just looked at my buddy and his wife in dis-belief as they were doing nothing about it. After a minute or so of this I gave my buddy a look that said "get this effin little monster off me and out of the hops before I throw him through a window!" Finally my Friend said "no no (boys name) don't do that or uncle (my name) will be mad at you. This did absolutely no good as the boy just kept climbing up me, on to the table and into the hops while screaming louder I wanna help, I wanna help, I wanna help!!! This whole time the wife did nothing and my patience was long gone so I raised my voice just a little and said (boys name) knock it off! At this point its visibly clear that I'm very annoyed so the wife finally said cmon (boys name) lets play with a coloring book and I kinda got this feeling like "how dare you talk to my son like that" attitude. un-believable. Well thanks for listening to my rant fellas, had to get that off my chest.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yeah in my observation a majority of times freaky demon children are a direct result of their parents not disciplining them. I don't mean beating their ass or anything, though sometimes they probably need it, but teaching them respect and some freaking self control, heh.

The situation you describe pisses me off to no end. Parents that don't seem to care how their kids are going to turn out when they grow up.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

There was a guy at a place I worked at a while back who had a kid like that. One day they were walking up the sidewalk and one of the guys there says under his breath "Well, here comes Steve and the little future date rapist."

Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
superjunior
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Yeah in my observation a majority of times freaky demon children are a direct result of their parents not disciplining them. I don't mean beating their ass or anything, though sometimes they probably need it, but teaching them respect and some freaking self control, heh.

The situation you describe pisses me off to no end. Parents that don't seem to care how their kids are going to turn out when they grow up.
yep. I would have to say upbringing, they have no control over him

Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
superjunior
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
There was a guy at a place I worked at a while back who had a kid like that. One day they were walking up the sidewalk and one of the guys there says under his breath "Well, here comes Steve and the little future date rapist."
unfortunately for my Friend, if they don't get that kid under control he'll be in jail before high school

Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Ya know. There's a kid in the town I live in that sounds just like that. His name is Colton Harris-Moore.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Hmmm I have a three year old who wants to help all the time when I'm cooking, he knows brewing is dangerous so is kept away. But the trick I find can be to give them some small job and make them feel involved.
But getting pissed and chastising someone elses kid in front of them is a bit rude, before you'd tried anything else apart from getting narked, you could have told the kid in a nice way what you wanted and not to be climbing all up on your stuff, but hey maybe you have five kids of your own and know this already.

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 913 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
Hmmm I have a three year old who wants to help all the time when I'm cooking, he knows brewing is dangerous so is kept away. But the trick I find can be to give them some small job and make them feel involved.
But getting pissed and chastising someone elses kid in front of them is a bit rude, before you'd tried anything else apart from getting narked, you could have told the kid in a nice way what you wanted and not to be climbing all up on your stuff, but hey maybe you have five kids of your own and know this already.
There's wisdom and experience here. I have no issue with being the responsible grownup around anyone's children. I don't wait for her/his parents, I just do what adults are supposed to do. So asking the child to help you hold the bag open (for example) is one approach. Or telling the child that they have to get down, or go over there, or stop whatever they are doing, is another approach. Its part of the job description of being an adult.

And in my experience, as the father of two boys, and from watching the other parents of boys, all boys are demon-children. All of them. I used to envy the parents of the little girls, who would sit quietly, entertain themselves, do what they're told, etc.

Until all the children turned 15. Then I was sooo glad to be the parent of boys

I recall the day that our doorbell rang, and there were two young women who I affectionately nicknamed the "goth twins". They asked if one of my sons was home. I invited them in, we chatted for a little while boy got dressed (he had been showering). It became clear to me how lucky I was at that point not to have girls. So, little boys = demons. Adolescent women = endless headaches. Pick your poison.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
superjunior
Recipes 

[QUOTE=EoinMag;2284796

But getting pissed and chastising someone elses kid in front of them is a bit rude, before you'd tried anything else apart from getting narked, you could have told the kid in a nice way what you wanted and not to be climbing all up on your stuff, but hey maybe you have five kids of your own and know this already.[/QUOTE]

I see what your saying, but I didn't chastise the lad, I SLIGHTLY raised my voice and told him to knock it off. more than his parents did who were sitting only two feet away. Its not my job to babysit this kid and its not the first time I've seen him in action. Last time they brought him over my house the little sh#t was throwing rocks at my house, windows, my dog...and his parents did nothing. I have a 5 year old nephew who has never acted like this, in fact he was at my house that day of the rock throwing incident and took no part of the other boys antics...

Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
superjunior
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers View Post
There's wisdom and experience here. I have no issue with being the responsible grownup around anyone's children. I don't wait for her/his parents, I just do what adults are supposed to do. So asking the child to help you hold the bag open (for example) is one approach. Or telling the child that they have to get down, or go over there, or stop whatever they are doing, is another approach. Its part of the job description of being an adult.
I thought about that but felt a little uncomfortable telling the boy what to do and or scolding him right in front of his parents who were sitting right there. Isn't that a parents job?

Quick Reply