Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Movie Alert: Tree of Life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1946 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

Sounds pretty good.

Especially the few brrs part.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #12
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1576 Times on 1192 Posts
Likes Given: 2828

I'll have to now.....did Penn direct it? Semi biographical or totally fictional?

"Thanks but when should I put employees in? This is my first time trying to add a flavor like this to a beer so I'm kinda clueless...."

-EMPLOYEE FLAVORED BEER........

(my new hero....) pbohanna

Old 12-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3059 Times on 1925 Posts
Likes Given: 2597

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I'll have to now.....did Penn direct it? Semi biographical or totally fictional?
No idea. I don't research them, I just watch em.

Make sure you read the review in Post #1. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And again, I'd watch this alone. The probability of your viewing being enjoyable is inversely proportional to the square of the number of viewers.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay
I go to the movies almost weekly
Didn't you set the world record for Titanic or something like that?

Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #15
WhineinAlbany
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Hah! I agree!

I'm pretty sure if you like it, you'll LOVE it. If you don't like it, you'll HATE it.

It's a series of memories from Sean Penn, as an adult. In the course of a short work day, he flashes back to his childhood. He relives a complex relationship with his dominant but caring father (Brad Pitt), caring (foxy) mother, and siblings. These flashbacks convey Penn's tense relationship with his father, and the sadness and regret over the death of one brother (spoiler alert, possibly, but you'll need some spoilers to get through this movie).

Another odd thread throughout the movie is Penn's constant struggle with the existence of god. Raised christian, he often questions god about the turmoil in his life. A very long set of images describing the creation of the universe, including a dinosaur, leave no question of the religion of the director.

I liked it, a lot, but you'll need to get your chill on, perhaps have a few brrs, and prepare yourself for about 3 hours of really beautiful photography, soundtrack, and a lot of odd seemingly meaningless plot. Best viewed alone.
And I just realized I'm mixing this one up with The Fountain with Hugh Jackson that actually has the tree of life in it. I haven't seen this one.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #16
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3059 Times on 1925 Posts
Likes Given: 2597

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhineinAlbany View Post
And I just realized I'm mixing this one up with The Fountain with Hugh Jackson that actually has the tree of life in it. I haven't seen this one.
Nope, not that one, but it has similar aspirations.

No doubt the greatest question in the mind of man since his cogs were cognitive were "where did we come from". Every thinking man has coped with this, every prophet attempted to answer. This movie itches that scratch. With music (watch Pitt get spiritual with Brahms) to the gothic operatic vocal sequences. Odd scenes of life (babies and children everywhere, watch the camera get lowered to their viewpoint, ala Wells' Citizen Kane) and men dieing (there's an odd scene were mama's walking away with the boy, from the front yard, and a man is writhing in the yard, seemingly from a heart attack). Other scenes depicting the state of humanity ( handicapped man, prisoner getting shoved into patrol car), kids ask god if it can happen to them, where does he live, is he watching them, they want to know what he is, what he sees. "I want to know what you are" sums up the theme.

Pitt hits the organ hard 1 hour into the movie, and it's powerful. He's a church man, disciplined, and engineer. and a pious one. Penn's character shows a lot of suppressed anger and impatience at old dad. I think this movie lays bare the inadequacies of the church in the presence of profound human sadness, such as the loss of a child. In the middle of the movie, Job is quoted by clergy. "But no, misfortune befalls the good as well." "We can't protect our children". "We vanish as a cloud." "Is there some fraud in the scheme of the universe, nothing that is deathless, nothing that does not pass away?"

This movie is a tough look at the juxtaposition of the loss of a child in in the presence of god's grace. I think

Old 12-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #17
downreactor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I haven't seen the movie but I would like to. It was filmed in the town that I live in (Smithville TX).

Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #18
TomHanx
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

it should have came with a warning that it was NOT a movie but an art piece. if you appreciate art on any level you would like it. just dont go thinking it's going to be like a movie.

Just watched his other movie last night "The Thin Red Line", very similar. He probably has the best cinematography of any director out there

Old 12-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This was the worst movie ever. I had no idea what was going on.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #20
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHanx
it should have came with a warning that it was NOT a movie but an art piece. if you appreciate art on any level you would like it. just dont go thinking it's going to be like a movie.

Just watched his other movie last night "The Thin Red Line", very similar. He probably has the best cinematography of any director out there
Even better, IMO, were Badlands and Days of Heaven from the 70s. Terence Malick was big, then didn't direct for two decades.

Quick Reply