Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Moonshiners on Discovery Channel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
Jacob_Marley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPepe View Post
If you recall, the mother sh!t that spawned all this crap was Cops. It was designed to create content in response to the writer's strike of 1988.
I didn't realize that Cops was a response to a writers strike too. People like to see others misfortune ... personally I don't enjoy it one bit.

Cops has that "watching a trainwreck" effect, but I find the show very, very sad. To me it pretty much underlines some horrible costs to society.

I would never want to be a cop. Many of my friends are cops ... at one time my dad was a cop ... I had worked around cops for a good portion of my life ... but I've seen how it changes people. Cops are either dealing with people who have had something done to them, or are doing something to them. Self-preservation means they *must* at some level regard every other person other than another cop as a potential enemy or threat. The number of police officers I know that did not get into law enforcement to work out personal anger and control issues, and that remained true to their altruistic reasons for getting into the field without becoming jaded to their own detriment ... I can count on one hand. It's a rough line of work. And unlike firefighters or EMS, are often not seen as "the good guys in the white hats" in spite of their incredible level of service.

I must say, I liked the old tv show Rescue 911 ... but that's because back in the 1980's I was a firefighter and paramedic in the Detroit area and often abutting (or in) its worst areas, for quite a few years. I still find emergency services interesting.
I could do without the show cops tho.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
Berniep
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex990
Many states it is legal to have a running still as long as it is registered with the govt. and taxes are paid on the volumes distilled. I would say this has been done on all stills on that show and they script in those guys to make em seem like they are the lost boys of shinin
Not likely. There are all kinds of requirements for the distillng site alone that would rule out a creek bottom right away.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

Guys come on, its obviously fake. They didn't even follow proper process. They aren't making shine and I'm sure they took care of the legal aspects with slight of hand and tricks.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #24
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Since Popcorn Sutton’s documentary “The Last One,” there has been a huge interest in moonshine. The documentary is gaining a big following. This is TV just trying to bank off of these people, I am sure they have licenses to produce liquor.

This is part four of the documentary, very interesting guy. He was caught after this documentary and then killed himself before serving his prison sentence.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #25
tv187u
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Messed up, sorry for any miss information.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #26
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv187u View Post
The guy that discovery is following is "Popcorn"'s grandson or son. So I would assume that he is doing this under the same guidelines popcorn had to follow.
I haven’t seen the show , and didn’t even know it existed. I am sure discovery would have covered their a**es so the grandson can distill on TV.
That is weird, they are about to release (if they haven’t already) a version of Popcorn’s whiskey. It’s the wife and some other investor that are making his recipe legally.

edit: I am not sure but I think the documentary is what lead to him becoming a suspect and lead to him going to jail. That and the fact he had over a crap load of whiskey in his possession.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #27
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsStepBrother

I haven’t seen the show , and didn’t even know it existed. I am sure discovery would have covered the a**es so the grandson can distill on TV.
That is weird, they are about to release (if they haven’t already) a version of Popcorn’s whiskey. It’s the wife and some other investor that are making his recipe legally.
Hank Williams Jr is one of them

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #28
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsStepBrother View Post
It's been released and is available for sale LEGALLY in Eastern TN as we speak . . . been thinking of making a special weekend run to get me some

Old 12-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #29
GodsStepBrother
Recipes 

Let us know if you do try it, I have never tried moonshine. One of my co workers is from Kentucky and said he hated it. He loved Whisky and Scotch, but said he could never get used to moonshine.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #30
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsStepBrother
Let us know if you do try it, I have never tried moonshine. One of my co workers is from Kentucky and said he hated it. He loved Whisky and Scotch, but said he could never get used to moonshine.
Maybe he had single pass stuff. My fav is Blueberry, persoanlly. Thouh I have no idea wink wink where to get it.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply