Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Monster Energy Drinks attack VT Microbrewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #221
agusus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

FYI, here's the email Hansen Beverage just sent out (I guess I'm on their mailing list of people interested in the trademark dispute because I emailed them about it). Nice to see the uprising of social networks and Internet communities for Rock Art made some difference.

Quote:
Hansen Beverage Company and Rock Art Brewery
Reach Trademark Agreement

October 26, 2009
Hansen Beverage Company and Rock Art Brewery today issued the following statement in connection with a recent trademark issue:

Hansen Beverage Company and Rock Art Brewery have reached an amicable agreement under which both companies' respective products will be protected - Hansen's Monster Energy® line of energy drinks and Rock Art's Vermonster beer products.

> Rodney Sacks, Hansen's chief executive officer, said: "We are pleased that we were able to resolve this matter expeditiously and put the concerns that had arisen behind us so that both parties can concentrate on their day-to-day businesses, selling their respective high-quality products. Our intent in this matter was simply to protect Hansen's trademarks and prevent any likelihood of confusion arising in the future through potential product extensions and was not to prevent Rock Art Brewery from selling their Vermonster beer."

> Matt Nadeau, owner of Rock Art Brewery, said: "Once Rodney and I were able to talk to each other we quickly appreciated each other's points of view and he acted reasonably, which allowed us to rapidly come to an agreement we are both happy with and allows both of us to move forward positively."
I saw some people on this thread talking about corporate greed. I don't think that's what this was really. The real problem is trademark law, which obligates a company to dispute any potential trademark infraction, even if there's only a remote overlap. So if you want someone to blame, blame the lawyers, not corporate greed. : ) (And in this case I'd say Hansen has over-zealous lawyers, since the connection between Monster and Vermonster is so remote. Now if a brewery decided to name themself "Monster", that would be a legitimate trademark concern).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2009, 05:43 PM   #222
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 88

On the Rock Art website:

Quote:
America You have saved
THE VERMONSTER !!

Your voice has caused corporate america to rethink its position
We can continue to brew our beer as we have since 2006!!

Yea!!! huge victory for the people!!

POWER to the PEOPLE
POWER belongs to the people

MOVING FORWARD AMERICA:

This battle is over, please stop contacting Hansen Beverage !
Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #223
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Matt just responded to my post on his FB wall that they bottled a new batch of Vermonster on Tuesday... I'm heading down to VT for the weekend, so I'll be doing my best to get a bottle or two. I can't wait to make it over to the brewery!

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #224
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Cool, cool, cool.......common sense does still exist.

As for me and my household, we shall serve the Lord. Joshua

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Quick Reply