Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Milwaukee Trip
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Milwaukee Trip

In 7 days I will be travelling to my wife's family reunion in Rome.
That's Rome, WI...


In exchange for this arduous journey, I have been granted a 36 hour pass to my former stomping grounds (Milwaukee). In the spring I went back for a day, but beyond that, I really haven't been back for ... 5 years maybe. Here is a tentative rundown of my plan.
Beer Related

  • Lakefront Brewery - I haven't toured since they move from Chambers? location... This is a must tour for me.
  • Discount Liqour - I will have an empty roller for checked baggage.
  • Sprecher Brewery - If time permits. I am a big fan of their Black Bavarian.
Food Related
  • Speed Queen BBQ
  • Culver's
  • Usinger's
Mixed Media
  • Bastille Days - 5k starts at 8PM then the drinking resumes.
  • Art Altenburg's Concertina Bar
I plan on posting photos and reviews ala The Dude http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=969

Couple of questions for locals:
What should I cut out / add?
Once I am in Rome am I totally screwed? I know there's esentially a bar on every corner in Rome and Nekoosa, but will I have to drive to Wisconsin Rapids for good beer?
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
uwmgdman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
uwmgdman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oregon, WI
Posts: 673
Default

I don't know any details about the brewery itself (tours, tastings, etc.) but you will be very close to Central Waters Brewing Company in Junction City (just north of WI Rapids). I've seen their beer in the store and picked a few up. I've been impressed. I enjoy their Pale Ale and Burbon Barrel Stout (limited release). So that might be something worth checking out since you'll be so close.

__________________
#######################
Coming Up: Pompous Mudblood, Maple Porter
Production: Aussie/NewZealand IPA

Drinking: 2013 Maker's Mark Bourbon Barrel Stout, Palate Assaulted Again Black IPA and Kaiser Alt Zwei
uwmgdman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwmgdman
I don't know any details about the brewery itself (tours, tastings, etc.) but you will be very close to Central Waters Brewing Company in Junction City (just north of WI Rapids). I've seen their beer in the store and picked a few up. I've been impressed. I enjoy their Pale Ale and Burbon Barrel Stout (limited release). So that might be something worth checking out since you'll be so close.
Thanks!
Excellent. 25.7 miles. Looks as though the Burbon Barrel Stout was a big favorite. (Sold out in 2 weeks!)

BTW: The Madison side-trip was nixed early on in the negotiation process. Perhaps on the next trip.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pumbaa's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,230
Liked 70 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Beer Related
  • Lakefront Brewery - I haven't toured since they move from Chambers? location... This is a must tour for me.
  • Discount Liqour - I will have an empty roller for checked baggage.
  • Sprecher Brewery - If time permits. I am a big fan of their Black Bavarian.
Food Related
  • Speed Queen BBQ
  • Culver's
  • Usinger's
Mixed Media
  • Bastille Days - 5k starts at 8PM then the drinking resumes.
  • Art Altenburg's Concertina Bar
If ya go to Speed Queen go at opening or soon after, the North side has been hopping this year, lots of shootings, get in, get your stuff and get out. Brewcity BBQ could be a half decent subsitute . . .well ok. . . it's not . . . just get in and out for Speed Queen. While you're in the Speed Queen area ya always have Jakes for corned beef on like 15th and North . . . now thats worth the possibility of getting shot


There are like 5 Micro brewerys down town I think now . . . Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee Ale House, Water Street Brwery, Rock Bottom Brewery, Stout Brothers . . . those are just off the top of my head, check the phone book when ya get in town

I may be working down at Bastille Days as a Paramedic bike responder, PM me and I'll give ya my cell phone and maybe we can hook up if I'm not working
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke
"There are just two rules of governance in a free society: Mind your own business. Keep your hands to yourself."
Pumbaa is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
If ya go to Speed Queen go at opening or soon after, the North side has been hopping this year, lots of shootings, get in, get your stuff and get out. Brewcity BBQ could be a half decent subsitute . . .well ok. . . it's not . . . just get in and out for Speed Queen. While you're in the Speed Queen area ya always have Jakes for corned beef on like 15th and North . . . now thats worth the possibility of getting shot
That's the Speed Queen I remember. I'll always look fondly upon the

revolving-bullet-proof-glass-drive-thru-window-with-the-prison-last-meal-food-slot.

This will be a drive thru affair....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
There are like 5 Micro brewerys down town I think now . . . Lakefront Brewery, Milwaukee Ale House, Water Street Brwery, Rock Bottom Brewery, Stout Brothers . . . those are just off the top of my head, check the phone book when ya get in town
Never been to Jakes or Stout Brothers. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
I may be working down at Bastille Days as a Paramedic bike responder, PM me and I'll give ya my cell phone and maybe we can hook up if I'm not working
Then you may be seeing me either way. I'll be the one clutching my heart gasping for air.
__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pumbaa's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,230
Liked 70 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
Then you may be seeing me either way. I'll be the one clutching my heart gasping for air.
ROFL

OK then just keep saying Pumbaa and if I am working and I get to ya I'll hook ya up with the morphine . . . but I can only give ya 10mg in a IV push unless I get a doctor to order more.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke
"There are just two rules of governance in a free society: Mind your own business. Keep your hands to yourself."
Pumbaa is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,843
Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

You are making me homesick!!! We'll actually be in that neck of the woods on the 15th of this month. I don't think we will get as far south as Milwaukee but I'm sure we'll be able to find a Culvers!!! No Discount Liquor though, that SUCKS!!!!

Have fun!!!

EDIT: If you are in Milwaukee, SCREW Culver's and go to Kopp's for the custard and the cheeseburgers...TO DIE FOR. Uh, literally, prolly.

__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com
Dude is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DesertBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 5,479
Liked 78 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default

Mmm, Bacon Butterburger Deluxe.



A heart attack waiting to happen.
I now officially prefer In-n-Out burger though

Why don't I know of Speed Queen BBQ? Where are they located; 35th and North based on Pumbaa's comments? If your into ribs, Jerry's old town in Germantown was always my favorite (heard its new owners now though). I'm getting hungry...

__________________
DesertBrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pumbaa's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 7,230
Liked 70 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
EDIT: If you are in Milwaukee, SCREW Culver's and go to Kopp's for the custard and the cheeseburgers...TO DIE FOR. Uh, literally, prolly.
Agree. Kopps makes Culvers look like day old Mc Donalds
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke
"There are just two rules of governance in a free society: Mind your own business. Keep your hands to yourself."
Pumbaa is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2006, 11:38 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
olllllo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 13,514
Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

For sirloin burgers and custard Kopps is outstanding. For a full menu, I like Culver's. Guess I'll have to eat twice. My Kopps record is 2 half pounder CB's.
but that was in my college days.

I haven't been to Jerry's in 15 years, but the ribs and french onion soup was awesome. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Speed Queen... http://www.foodspot.com/speedqueen/index.html

Convenient drive thu access...


BTW: Karl Kopp (Kopps) owns AZ88 here in PHX, which is a copy of Elsa's Deli in Cathedral Square, right down to the freaky art and the unlabeled knobless bathroom doors.

__________________
Rabbit And Coyote Schwag
Rob - Phoenix Ambassador to Milwaukee
Where did your avatar go?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Last edited by olllllo; 07-05-2006 at 11:41 PM.
olllllo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greetings from Milwaukee Sagan Introductions 7 07-14-2009 05:35 PM
New guy from Milwaukee PBRmeASAP Introductions 5 01-07-2009 09:07 PM
New from Milwaukee The Langenator Introductions 3 01-25-2008 05:54 PM
Hello from Milwaukee Davr0s Introductions 6 12-22-2006 09:06 PM
Hello from Milwaukee! rhalko1969 Introductions 27 04-09-2006 04:29 PM