Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Might be losing my job soon.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Might be losing my job soon. EDIT: Possible good news!

Long story short, my company's primary client recently decided to switch vendors. At first we had considered the possibility that they wouldn't like the new vendor and switch back, since they've done this a couple times before.

Then, last week, we brought a digital voice recorder online, and for some reason it got loaded with old code, causing 600 jobs to arrive without metadata. Without metadata, it's impossible to tell which client the job is destined for. We have a reliably good method of guessing, probably 99% accurate, but if even a single job goes to the wrong client, it's a violation of HIPAA. In other words, we either force 600 doctors to re-dictate, or we have to provide a disclosure to all clients, and risk getting caught in a lawsuit.

This failure comes after a series of unfortunate hiccups in the past year, none of which were near as catastrophic but all of which delayed several jobs for a few hours and took some of our services briefly offline, and an extended development period on our new product while the client is unsatisfied with the old product has made them grow extremely impatient.

I should also mention, briefly, that I'm not the guy responsible for the systems that are failing

This may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back here, making it highly likely our client will choose to discontinue their relationship with us completely, and even accelerate that process in light of recent events. If that happens, the company will not be able to sustain its operations and we will all be out of work. My boss even recommended that I update my resume.

So, the reason I'm posting....

If you live in Nashville, TN and know of any programmer openings where you work, could you let me know? It would help me out tremendously.

Also, if you don't, feel free to commiserate about your own layoff experience.

Last edited by bernerbrau; 03-05-2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Tone of the subject is changing somewhat :p

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
jrodincincy
Recipes 

Sorry to hear about the potential job loss. I wish you the best in finding new employment if indeed the time comes in which you must search for it.

Godspeed

"To take from one, because it is thought that his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare others, who, or whose fathers have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, 'the guarantee to every one of a free exercise of his industry, and the fruits acquired by it.'"

- Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Well, with any luck I'll be able to find a new place and transition without any missed paychecks. It's just that I've been here almost 2 years, really enjoyed working here, and the most likely outcome at this point is that we're all going to be out of work soon.

I've worked at some really bad places. I don't want to end up in another bad job situation.

The other problem is there don't seem to be a whole lot of Ruby on Rails jobs in the Nashville area. I have a couple connections in the area that I plan on contacting soon, but it seems like it's all Adobe Flex here (and when did I miss that one?? seems like you blink your eyes and your skillset goes obsolete...)

Last edited by bernerbrau; 02-09-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry to heart that, I know how stressful this can be. Goodluck.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
imaguitargod
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find another job fast so it doesn't effect your homebrewing.

Brewer for Hoppin' Frog Brewery.
"I am not an alcoholic, I’m a drunk. An alcoholic means that I have a problem and when I drink all my problems go away."

Old 02-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
Also, if you don't, feel free to commiserate about your own layoff experience.
I worked tech support for a homebuilder here in Georgia add got laid off about 5 months ago. Took about 2 months to find work. The first couple weeks was nice, finally got a break. But you can only clean your garage so much. In any case I did find work, it just took a while. Also from personal experience don't wait til you get desperate to file for unemployment, like me you've been paying into it for years and its time to get some of it back. Good luck and don't get down. Based on your post computerjobs.com would be a good place to start.

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
hammer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

unemployment sucks! i haven't worked in 3 weeks and the well is running dry.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

My job goes away in September. The company I work for is moving/combining our data center with their base in Arkansas. Hopefully the job market will improve a bit before then.

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 02-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Checked out ComputerJobs.com... Unfortunately there's 13 IT jobs in my area. None of which correspond to my skillset.

No new stuff on Dice, except Flex and .net, neither of which I'm qualified to use unless I drop down to entry level.

No leads from one of my two contacts, and his feelers run deep...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
johnnyc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
Checked out ComputerJobs.com... Unfortunately there's 13 IT jobs in my area. None of which correspond to my skillset.

No new stuff on Dice, except Flex and .net, neither of which I'm qualified to use unless I drop down to entry level.

No leads from one of my two contacts, and his feelers run deep...
You might would look into staffing agencies. My wife works as a contractor java programmer and she's used different staffing firms for years.

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Quick Reply