Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Michigan/Canada border

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Jacob_Marley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
It used to be yeoldetaproom.com, but it is no longer up. Which is a shame because they used to list their beers and had some pictures of the inside.
yeoldetaproom.com ...Courtesy of The Wayback Machine ...
http://web.archive.org/web/201011292...com/index.html
("that's right Sherman, the Wayback Machine")

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The previous posters all have good advice, those are great places. Be careful of the neighborhood the Rathskeller is in, though.
I work in Detroit, and I would still never visit Rathskeller without about 10 buddies. Oz, one of the bartenders at Nemo's (a Detroit landmark on Michigan Ave.) got a chain to the face when he wouldn't give up his car keys. I don't think I'm being dramatic when I say it's a third world country. You will probably not see cops, even if you call 911.
It's a great authentic German fest hall experience, once you get in. Their Oktoberfest celebration is fantastic.
Slows has a fantastic beer selection, but it can be tricky getting a spot now that they've been on TV and everybody knows about them.
I personally like the pizza at Motor City Brew Works better than the beer. Traffic Jam has better beer normally, especially if they have their Doppelbock in. They feature an oak aged raspberry frambois once in a while that is heaven in a glass. The brewmaster does whatever the hell he wants, on his time-frame - which sometimes sucks.
Detroit Brew Works is hit and miss on beer quality, but they normally have great food.
Dragonmead, meh. The beer is OK, but they haven't been aging it properly - it clearly tastes green. Too much demand I guess, although they are ramping up production shortly.
Kuhnhenn's has great beer, but it can get pricey drinking there. Their bourbon barrel 4th Dimentia old ale is awesome, but you need a cab after 1

Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
TheKeg81
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wow, great responses by all. I'm due into DTW at 1pm today, so I will check out at least one of the places before crossing the border. How's the traffic in/around Detroit during evening rush hour?

@Airplanedoc: Thanks for the heads up on getting back into the states. My flight is super early (in the air @605am) on Friday and I'd hate to miss it due to poor planning on my part.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

The crossing through Port Huron only took about 1/2 hour last evening (back to the US) but it was a Sunday and not as crowded as many other times. All of the booths were open (about 12 of them).

Going INTO Canada at 5 PM yesterday, though, had the cars lined up for miles and miles.

I didn't go near the Detroit crossing, though, and it is probably totally different. There are several links to websites to check the wait time at all the crossings (both Canada and US) by googling "border crossing wait times" and the name of the particular crossing you're using. The fees for the bridges are around $3.25 each way.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Going INTO Canada at 5 PM yesterday, though, had the cars lined up for miles and miles.
Thats unusual, Last time I was across the into US side was backed up to petrolia exit. Fortunatly I'm from PH so I headed down to Marine City ferry and was across and thru customs in less than 5 min, granted it was a 20 min drive but I figure I still came out ahead.

I'm pretty sure there is a is a bridge info recording with the crossing times, on some AM station just listen to that or ask the locals. The Ambassador bridge is the busiest NA border crossing

Reason: spelling

Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
TheKeg81

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Decided that I'm going to try Cadieux Cafe for a late lunch.

EDIT: Joke's on me. Misread the time. Won't open for another 1.5 hrs.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
TheKeg81

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ye Old Taproom wouldn't come up in the GPS, but Dragonmead did. Guess I'll check it out.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you haven't eaten yet. Program you GPS for Lazy Bones BBQ on Groesbeck, just a little bit away from D'mead and pick up a sandwhich or a plate of q and take it to D'mead. Or ask them at the brewery for their book of take out menues and call and have it delivered. D'mead has burgers but allow outside food. Lazybone's sandwhiches are the bomb.

Lazy Bones
27475 Groesbeck Hwy
Roseville, MI 48066

(586) 775-7427

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
TheKeg81

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That sounds awesome. I might have them do that. DM is an interesting little place so far. Have not eaten yet and bbq sounds fantastic. The sauce is not heavily vinegar based is it?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
If you haven't eaten yet. Program you GPS for Lazy Bones BBQ on Groesbeck, just a little bit away from D'mead and pick up a sandwhich or a plate of q and take it to D'mead. Or ask them at the brewery for their book of take out menues and call and have it delivered. D'mead has burgers but allow outside food. Lazybone's sandwhiches are the bomb.

Lazy Bones
27475 Groesbeck Hwy
Roseville, MI 48066

(586) 775-7427
Got to second Revvy on this call. The wife and I took his advice on this one and Revvy met us there. Outstanding Q and the beers at D'mead are awesome. Though one trip won't be enough to get through them all.

Having said that, Cadieux Cafe is a winner. Grab some cold Westmalle and the polish sausage. The muscles there aren't bad either. They come in a fricking bucket. You will also get to see your first ever "Featherball" court there as well...never heard of it before I saw it there. A bit similar to Bocce I think.

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply