Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Michigan beer scene

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
wulfsburg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default The Michigan beer scene

So i am up in the birth place of my girlfriend. Big Rapids Michigan. I have been up here once a year for the past 3 years. Last year i had the opportunity to visit some breweries in Grand Rapids. Did Founders, Old Boys, and Vivant last year. This year we went to Mount Pleasant, Hopcat and Vivant. I picked up a Michigan Brewers guide and it outlines tons and tons of breweries all over the state to the likes i have never seen in Arizona. I am really jealous of the scene up here.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yep, we're the great beer state. It's no surprise the greatest number of people on HBT are from Michigan, we also have one of the largest amounts of homebrew shops of any state.

We're also one of the first states to legalize small batch commercial distilling.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2023 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1108

Greetings to the area! You may be pleased to note that although there is one (kind of) brewpub in Big Rapids, there is another being built as I speak. Should be serving in March if everything goes according to plan (but they seldom do, so expect it early summer I think)

I know the brewer and I think you will be pleased with the beer.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We are going to the "Blue Cow" tomorrow. I am looking forward to the other one opening up. I can say that visiting Big Rapids is a little painful for me with limited access to technology and having to put up with the in laws is tough to endure, but the brewery stops make it all worth it.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfsburg View Post
We are going to the "Blue Cow" tomorrow. I am looking forward to the other one opening up. I can say that visiting Big Rapids is a little painful for me with limited access to technology and having to put up with the in laws is tough to endure, but the brewery stops make it all worth it.
I have not been impressed with most of the offerings from The Blue Cow. There is something odd about nearly every beer I've had there. I'd rather just go to BW3 and have some Founders, Bells, or New Holland on tap, TBH.

The last beer I had at Blue Cow was a smoked something or other and it was almost like drinking burnt sticks.

Then again, they do have a decent selection of craft beers from Michigan in bottles. Nice, if a bit pricey.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfsburg View Post
So i am up in the birth place of my girlfriend. Big Rapids Michigan. I have been up here once a year for the past 3 years. Last year i had the opportunity to visit some breweries in Grand Rapids. Did Founders, Old Boys, and Vivant last year. This year we went to Mount Pleasant, Hopcat and Vivant. I picked up a Michigan Brewers guide and it outlines tons and tons of breweries all over the state to the likes i have never seen in Arizona. I am really jealous of the scene up here.
Grand Rapids is ALWAYS worth the trip, especially since Big Rapids isn't that far. If you get locked up there (lol) call Ace Bail Bonds

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, the Blue Cow wasn't anything impressive. I rarely make a stellar beer, but their IPA wasn't as good as what I can make. If I didn't know any better, they were brewing Extract (like I do).

Next year when I come up I can't wait to try the brewery that is currently under construction in Big Rapids.

I went to Horrocks in Lansing on our way home. I envied their beer selection. A whole massive section dedicated to all local brews. There was some guy in there talking about what he had in the fermenter, and wanted to sit and talk to him for his suggestions on what to try from the local scene.

I really want to try some New Holland stuff. Maybe in 2012 I can come up for a week in the summer, do some Lake Michigan Fishing (like I did last year) and hit up New Holland Brewery before/afterwards.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Horrocks is great. NH Brewery has some very, very good beer

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Blue Cow brews extract last I heard. I think they also don't treat the water and I think it needs treating.

The Champagne Chicken is really good and they have a few other very nice meals as well. I owe the wife a meal there for her birthday. They were closed this year because her birthday was on a Monday, and they aren't open on Mondays.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

If you come up again to visit NH, try to make it on a Saturday when they give tours. I like their Dragons Milk Stout and their Golden Cap Saison. Pretty much everything they make is very good though.

Quick Reply