Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A memorial beer for GreenwoodRover?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 02:34 PM   #21
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3186 Times on 3089 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Kevin was in the Kolsch swap and included his recipe for an ESB that he sent in the swap. I need to dig that up when I get home tonight. I never pitch any recipes but my filing system is lacking... any other kolsch swappers have a copy?

That will need to be my next batch....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #22
Boerderij_Kabouter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I would donate to a fund to send flowers. The Pol is the only person I have ever heard of who could have a day darkened by flowers. A kindly gesture is kindly from a perfect stranger the same as from your best friend. You don't have to be close to some one to be sympathetic and want to help.

I think a GreenwoodRover memorial beer is a great idea, and that doesn't need to involve Kevin's wife. Let's just brew something and give him a few hip hip hurrays and give Kevin a proper online wake.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #23
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bunnay View Post
In my experience, it was very comforting to know that someone I loved touched the lives of so many be it the barrista who remembered his favorite coffee or the forums and groups he belonged to both online and in person. While you may argue those people didn't really "know" him, they certainly knew an aspect of him that was shared.

That being said, I think the memorial beer should be an HBT project that might be shared with his wife and family if there is communication. An award in his honor is a lovely gesture.
Very well said.

My initial thought was that a memorial beer would be purely between HBT and Kevin. If, however, there ended up being some involvement with his wife (By her own choice) Then the memorial beer should be something fairly low gravity that can be shared easily with non beer drinking folk. I say this because although this is an HBT thing, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that some of Kevin's family might actually WANT a few bottles of memorial brew with a nicely designed label etc.

As I say, communication with his family in this matter is not the intent, but anything is possible and we should try and cater for all posssibilities.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #24
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 643 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
FWIW, I would personally really dislike it if I began recieving flowers and correspondence from web forums that my wife uses as a stay at home mom, if she passed. #1. they never really knew her, #2. I dont know them, #3. my grief is more than they could ever imagine, especially since they do not know her in person... #4. I am dealing in real life issues with the loss of a spouse, Id prefer that the internet folks leave me the hell alone and not involve me in thier rememberance of someone that they in fact did not "know".
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post

Hate to say this... but we arent a blip on her radar . . .
I find it difficult to understand this closed minded mentality. I’d like to think that if my wife died I’d be able to make the memorial about things that were part of her life and to include those people and activities. A tragedy like this is not about us. It’s not about Kevin’s family or even his wife. It about Kevin and celebrating all the things that were part of him. This is a difficult time for Laura, but I hope that she can find the strength to reach out to all the areas of Kevin’s life. Her posting the message here leads me to believe that she will and that she would appreciate our support.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:57 PM   #25
the bunnay

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
I find it difficult to understand this closed minded mentality. I’d like to think that if my wife died I’d be able to make the memorial about things that were part of her life and to include those people and activities. A tragedy like this is not about us. It’s not about Kevin’s family or even his wife. It about Kevin and celebrating all the things that were part of him. This is a difficult time for Laura, but I hope that she can find the strength to reach out to all the areas of Kevin’s life. Her posting the message here leads me to believe that she will and that she would appreciate our support.
We all grieve differently, but judging by Laura's follow up post in the original thread and that she shared it with other family members, I think she appreciates that Kevin had a presence here and takes at least a measure of comfort from those far away who are saddened to hear of his passing and not offense.

the girlier half of team bunnchiro; behold the brewlog.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #26
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3518 Times on 3406 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't understand The Pol's resistance, either, even more so in light of this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/sad-...ml#post1478807.

It seems Laura knew of and appreciated Kevin's involvement here. We may not have known him personally, but we 'knew' him on some level. I really think she would appreciate some acknowledgement from us that Kevin was an important and valued member of this cyberspace world.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #27
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 541 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bunnay View Post
We all grieve differently, but judging by Laura's follow up post in the original thread and that she shared it with other family members, I think she appreciates that Kevin had a presence here and takes at least a measure of comfort from those far away who are saddened to hear of his passing and not offense.
Agreed. I think her post puts a new light on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenwoodRover View Post
Hello everyone,

I thank you all for your thoughts and kind words. Kev would be so honored to hear them. I shared them with his friends and brother last night. I will keep checking this site and will keep you posted on plans as they are made. You may reach me at [Mod edited Let's keep it to the original thread for now. I'd hate for someone to use any of this information in a google search for no good.].

I appreciate your support.

Laura Dennis

This makes me even more sure that we should make a memorial beer that is easily enjoyed by others outside the beer drinking community. Good beer does not have to be bland beer.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 PM   #28
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I didn't know the guy at all, but after I heard the news I went back in his post history and discovered I remembered reading some of his posts... I'm getting a lump in my throat just reading all the emotional responses.

So yeah, I'm in for flowers or a memorial brew. If someone coordinates something, PM me or I'll just keep an eye on this thread.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #29
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3000 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Im in for either or both. I don't know how much I will actually follow this thread so if somehow wouldn't mind sending me a PM please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM   #30
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4884 Times on 4471 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I wonder.

Is it possible to donate anonymously to Keveins HBT account and then, at some point have TxBrew send a check to his survivors?

I am just thinking about funeral costs, income loss, etc....

Quick Reply