Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A memorial beer for GreenwoodRover?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
annasdadhockey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Count me in too.
+1 on what The Pol said(about time and Kevin's wife, not about the melomel..I'm not even sure what melomel is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Last edited by annasdadhockey; 08-10-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4359 Times on 3169 Posts
Likes Given: 848

I don't have Laura's email, and I'm not sure she checks his hotmail account, but I send her a note to his hotmail account telling her how sorry we are for her loss. I told her that we'd be glad to accept his entries into the homebrew competition that he's already entered if she wanted to send them in and that we understood if she could not.

AnOldUR suggested having a prize in the HBT competition designated as a "GreenwoodRover" memorial prize, which I think is a great idea.

When the news came out this morning, I talked to Bob and told him that if something happened to me that I wanted him to let you guys know. I know we're "only" an internet forum, but over the years many of you have become my personal friends as well.

This just goes to show that life is indeed short.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
AnOldUR suggested having a prize in the HBT competition designated as a "GreenwoodRover" memorial prize, which I think is a great idea.
I second that idea...

Quote:

When the news came out this morning, I talked to Bob and told him that if something happened to me that I wanted him to let you guys know. I know we're "only" an internet forum, but over the years many of you have become my personal friends as well.
It's a little different with you on a couple levels. First you are a huge daily presence on here You touch everyone...and many of us have met you in person.

Secondly BOB is real to us....you talk about him quite alot both in person to those who have met you, and also online...you tell stories regularly about him, his thoughts about beer, and your hobby, etc.

Also, I haven't but I figure some folks on here have actually MET Bob as well...I never heard Laura's name before today...and I got the impression from the initial post that she didn't know too much about his presence on here, except that he had one on here...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-10-2009, 02:00 AM   #14
gplutt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the idea of finishing his last recipe, but I'll be more than happy to brew whatever.

Kegged: Stout

Barrelled: Oregon Group Brew Stout
Long term Secondary: Fool's Gold Barleywine
Next: Bohemian Pilsener

Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #15
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I never knew Greenwood, but I'd still send flowers or something. I think our HBT community goes a little further than most.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 AM   #16
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3497 Times on 3388 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
I never knew Greenwood, but I'd still send flowers or something. I think our HBT community goes a little further than most.
Great idea. I'd be willing to donate for such a thing. And participate in whatever suggestions might be implemented.

As strange as it may seem, this is a family around here.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:06 AM   #17
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

FWIW, I would personally really dislike it if I began recieving flowers and correspondence from web forums that my wife uses as a stay at home mom, if she passed. #1. they never really knew her, #2. I dont know them, #3. my grief is more than they could ever imagine, especially since they do not know her in person... #4. I am dealing in real life issues with the loss of a spouse, Id prefer that the internet folks leave me the hell alone and not involve me in thier rememberance of someone that they in fact did not "know".

Hate to say this... but we arent a blip on her radar, and we shouldnt make ourselves out to be more than we are. I am all for supporting each other, but Id say leave his wife the hell alone.

Now if the few HBTers that KNOW me wanted to contact my wife, Id say that is appropriate... but a bunch of people who dont really know the guy, cmon. She is dealing with REAL loss, we are not, unless we have known the guy in a personal level. I would be very careful about overstepping that boundary.

If your daily life will not be the same without Kevin, freakin A... then Id expect you to know him personally and already know his wife and be in touch. If you dont even know his wife... his life partner, then Id say that any contact with her would be a little out of bounds since your contact was only in a web forum.

Last edited by The Pol; 08-10-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:18 AM   #18
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Bottom line, if you have to find out on a web forum that Kevin passed, then IMHO you have no right to get into his family business and contact his wife in any way. If you were that close, youd have gotten a call.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #19
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

I agree wholly with Pol on this. I know where I stand in Kevin's Wife's world. Nowhere. That doesn't mean I can't participate in a memorial brew with others in the online world HE sometimes lived in. I think it would be best to leave her out at this time.

Yooper has already made personal contact and through that we can get a response if there is any, which I highly doubt. This is not like a sibling or parent passing away. It's a Spouse. A life partner and possibly a source of income. Unless there was a life insurance policy, Laura may be experiencing more than grief at the loss of a husband.

I say we move ahead on a memorial brew on our own. I know I'd feel honored if it was me you guys were brewing for. I'm not sure my wife would give a crap. (Well, she'd probably feel honored if she knew, but I doubt she'd even log in to tell you I was gone).

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
the bunnay

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my experience, it was very comforting to know that someone I loved touched the lives of so many be it the barrista who remembered his favorite coffee or the forums and groups he belonged to both online and in person. While you may argue those people didn't really "know" him, they certainly knew an aspect of him that was shared.

That being said, I think the memorial beer should be an HBT project that might be shared with his wife and family if there is communication. An award in his honor is a lovely gesture.

the girlier half of team bunnchiro; behold the brewlog.

Quick Reply