Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A memorial beer for GreenwoodRover?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default A memorial beer for GreenwoodRover?

Any condolelnces obviously go in this thread

I would just like to start an ideas thread for anyone interested in some kind of HBT memorial for Kevin. I think we can all agree that we are deeply saddened by this tragic loss, and our hearts go out to his wife and family.

Personally, I would love to have the opportunity to brew a recipe made in his honour, named after him, and savour it with others at the same time when it is ready. An HBT toast, if you will.

Any other ideas for a fitting tribute?

olllllo Edit: Interested folks. Fill out this form: http://bit.ly/ImwbI

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Last edited by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible; 08-10-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Someone said in the other thread about a beer he had been working on. That would be a good idea.

I'm in, btw.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

How about a memorial melomel... should be ready next year.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Looks like the last beer he was talking about in terms of having brewer was this.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1464238-post46.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #5
stevea1210
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post

Edit: Maybe this is too soon, I just don't know.
I think the group needs to decide how Laura would be involved. If any part of the decisions on which beer to brew (his favorite style / recipe / things he doesn't like) are going to involve her, I believe it absolutely needs to wait more than 24 hours after the tragedy. How long, I haven't a clue. Everyone handles losses differently.

If this is something that the group wishes to do in honor of him completely on its own, I think the time frame is more flexible.

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel. - Homer Jay Simpson

Old 08-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just say when. I'm in.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #7
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Let me know how I can help. I'm in.

What's tappening? :D

Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea1210 View Post
I think the group needs to decide how Laura would be involved. If any part of the decisions on which beer to brew (his favorite style / recipe / things he doesn't like) are going to involve her, I believe it absolutely needs to wait more than 24 hours after the tragedy. How long, I haven't a clue. Everyone handles losses differently.

If this is something that the group wishes to do in honor of him completely on its own, I think the time frame is more flexible.
You have to realize that Laura may never go back on here, And you may never have a way to reach her....Nor may she want to, although she did give her email address, so it's hard to know.

I have been a part of these things in the past where someone uses the person's account on a forum and announces the regular poster's demise (sometimes it has been a fake) but in all the times I have ever been involved in, after the initial post you rarely if ever hear from the person who posted the info again. They usually have much more pressing issue to deal with over the next few days/months, including grieving and usually internet friends were usually the last thing on the person's mind.

Unless that spouse person were active in the hobby or forum along with the bereaved, which I didn't get the impression she was, usually any tributes/threads people do, don't really get to the awareness of the person who posted....this wasn't her community, it was his, if she has a community, more than likely she will grieve with them.

The only caveat to this is that if any fellow hbters on here were actually close in real life to them that is....then of course they could communicate to her our intent, and she what her thoughts are....but if not, and I don't know if anyone here knew him or knows her in real life...whatever we do, we do for us.

I don't want to burst anyones bubbles, but as a minister who deals with grief and someone who has been an active internet/forum presence as a know clergyman, I have been involved with countless internet grieving and online community tributes, on forums, on myspace etc....and rarely does the gesture actually leave the online community and intersect with the family.

Part of that tends to be geographical distances, and part of that just happens to be a part of humanity/ both the comfortable annonymity of the web...and the grieving process....things coming from outside the grievers' "community" can either be a great solace or actually just lead to another layer of grief...

So I'm just saying, don't let Laura's involvement or lack of it hinder our desire to do what we feel is a fitting tribute ourselves.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

I just talked to my wife about this...

We are an online community, many of us do not know Kevin personally...

#1. What does time have to do with this? Why wait?
#2. Why would we involve his wife? She is grieving and we are an online web forum... I dont think that our distant relationship and wanting to make a memorial brew really has anything to do with her. Do any of us KNOW her?
#3. My wife would prefer if I die, that you leave her out of any plans that you have as an online community. She has no relationships here and she would be dealing with REAL issues in the REAL world...

We are confused about inviolving his wife, and even moreso as to why a web community has to wait to do something in memory of a fallen online comrade.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Well, to be honest, I was thinking of a memorial brew between HBT and Kevin. To have Laura aboard would be a massive bonus of course. I was thinking along the lines though of what friends can do for another friend. However insignificant that gesture may seem.

Edit: what the Pol said.

Steven Hawking ~ As we say in science, the England football team couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo

Quick Reply