Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Default Meet the Press

I never watch this show, but Bill Cosby is on and surprisingly it's more interesting than playing video games right now. He's speaking on the whole "Black people need to quit 'acting black'" campaign. I completely agree with a lot of his views on this stuff and in many ways it makes me feel guilty for listening to rap. He's joined by Alvin Poussaint, Prof. of Psych at Harvard. They're talking about everything from the language black people use ('N-word', 'Acting White', etc) and the crisis that's facing the black community as a result of the breakdown in values / personal accountability in the majority of the black culture.

Having grown up in a fully mixed area and having gone to schools that were ~50% black, I've personally seen and experienced a lot of these negative stereotypes and known kids my age who got fitted for a coffin before graduating high school.

I'm very glad that someone with the street cred of Cosby is saying this stuff. Even though The Cosby Kids had many of these stereotypes, I think he's doing great work.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 152

I've watched his conversations on this. Couldn't agree more with him.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
and in many ways it makes me feel guilty for listening to rap.
And well it should. As a penance, you have to start listening to music now. Country, pop, rock, jazz, whatever, as long as it has a tune you can hum. Oh, and there should be the occassional chord change too.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Cosby is cool, no doubt. I love his old Jello ads. What disheartens me about him is his hatred of white folks. I saw an interview with him years ago where his feelings on this topic were made very clear.

I respect the man for what he's done in his career, but I can't abide a racist.

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I'm reminded of a comment by an African ambassador, who was asked (at Cornell U. in 1973), "Why don't you talk like a black man?" His response, "I do talk like a black man. An educated black man."

Thomas Sowell has many interesting thoughts on the subject. "Ethnic American" is a good read.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-15-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
mykayel
Recipes 

I watched it and pretty much agreed with what he had to say but he kept refering to "systematic racism" (or some similar term) and kept saying that it needed to be fixed. But he never once gave an example of it or what needed to be changed. Maybe its where I live, maybe its just my viewpoint, but how, where, is there any negative systematic treatment of blacks?

Old 10-15-2007, 04:23 AM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykayel
I watched it and pretty much agreed with what he had to say but he kept refering to "systematic racism" (or some similar term) and kept saying that it needed to be fixed. But he never once gave an example of it or what needed to be changed. Maybe its where I live, maybe its just my viewpoint, but how, where, is there any negative systematic treatment of blacks?
They mentioned how more whites do cocaine than crack, and how similar amounts of cocaine and crack are viewed different legally: crack has much stronger consequences.

Whatever the case, Cos seemed to say "Until we fix it, be aware of it and respect it."

The problem with black america needs to be fixed.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:43 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 611 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 54

This is one tough problem to solve. I tend to agree with most everything stated so far. In fact, I think we perpetuate racism in America by focusing so hard on equal opportunity and anti-racism. We have organizations dedicated to the "advancement" of people based on their race. Despite the best intentions, aren't these establishments racist in and of themselves? However, to oppose them is to be labeled racist as well.

Regardless of the moral debate over the mere existence of equal opportunity programs, many (if not all) of them have failed miserably. There seems to be a growing culture of people who expect different treatment based on their race - people who feel that they are "owed" opportunities, jobs, and money on a "something-for-nothing" basis.

How do we reverse this disturbing trend?

Old 10-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
zbeeblebrox
Recipes 

i agree with Cosby. i think we've all seen people who have had good chances in life but instead became a stereotype. and unfortunately like most trends i think the only way to stop it is for people to realize that it is stupid and move on.
i also agree with Yuri_Rage most of these organizations just perpetuate racism. i for one have faith in most people and therefore believe that in modern time racism is almost a non issue in most peoples lives. not to say that it doesn't exist altogether but that it doesn't exist in very large segments of the population.

LETS GO RED WINGS

Old 10-15-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I can recall sitting with a group of friends close to graduation. One of our group was black and one was female. I'm in a predominately male dominated field. We were discussing job opportunities and both the black fellow and the woman expressed their concerns along with the rest of us about job opportunites. They were somewhat taken aback when I told them that they would be first to get jobs based on gender/race. Of course they wanted to be considered on merit like the rest of us, but in many cases that isn't necessarily something they have a choice about. They were in fact quite indignant about it but I know that my employer's 'equal opportunity' program means that women and visible minorities are snapped up BECAUSE they are women and visible minorities.

So on one side you can say that we need to have proper representation of under represented segments of the population but at the same time you degrade their abilities and talents by making their physical appearance or gender more important than their ability to do the job. I'm not saying that they CAN'T do the job as well as others, simply that it isn't considered as highly as it would for a white male and that is very degrading.

I honestly don't know what the answer is here. We do need to eliminate systemic barriers but we have to be careful that we don't erect others. I've heard that there is now a problem in some police forces because they've hired too many women officers and when brute force is required to handle some situations they don't have enough large and powerful people to do the job. One problem is solved and another is created.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply