Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Maximum Return on Investment- The Supermarket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #71
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I got one of those misto olive oil sprayers. I use a ton less olive oil now than I did before

Kikoman soy sauce is $12/gal at the asian market. A lot cheaper than buying a small bottle at the store

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #72
Bedlam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Grow your own garlic. I was appalled to learn that most of the store garlic is actually from China. It is just so easy. Throw some cloves in the ground, cover with mulch or shredded newspaper or straw and harvest in summer. I leave the whole plant intact, hanging in a dry area for a bit before breaking them down. I leave some alone to put in the ground for the next harvest.

I also do some canning and pickling. I'm not gonna say it is a big money-saver, but if the cost:quality ratio counts, then there you are. For those who don't want to go to all that trouble, making freezer jams is easy and tasty, especially if you pick up some fruit in season that is a tad bit overripe and get a sweet deal.

-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #73
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 35

"Kikoman soy sauce is $12/gal at the asian market. A lot cheaper than buying a small bottle at the store"

And since it is made in Walworth, Wisconsin...a short, lovely drive from the Chicago area...I wonder if they, perchance, sell "seconds"???

glenn514

Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #74
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Great post.

Something people hardly ever take into account is nutritional density - you will get the most bang for your buck if you either :

Grow it

Or

Buy your fruit and veggies from a farmer at the farm or a farmers market

When you buy that apple or pepper it may cost a little more per apple but the nutritional content is about 10x the amount of an under ripe picked apple trucked from Chili 3 weeks ago.

You won't need to eat as much food to sustain your life force.

I'm not a meat eater but the same probably holds true for beef, chicken, eggs, milk.

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #75
Bedlam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
A better one: make your own bread, a lot of you guys are making pizzas rigth? the dough is not very different and you don´t have to make bread everyday fresh baked bread (specially the big loaf of italian bread with a nice crispy and thick crust) can hold for a week (or even a lot more).... and if you really want to make from scratch make your own flour, we brew beer and most of us have a mill well I have a corona mill that i´m not using I´m sure I can make flour. Bakeries and breweries were historically together we are already brewing so...
Somewhere I have an article from Mother Earth News about the most efficient manner of baking bread. It was a method developed by a couple where one of them was a baker and the other a chemist. Basically, you make the dough for about 5-6 loaves at once and put into storage, then grab a piece, let it rise, and throw it on a heated bread stone to bake a boule. Easy. I still do it from time to time, but we just don't eat enough bread and I found myself either throwing out the unused dough or feeding the birds.

If I get time today, I'll try to find that article...

-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #76
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have heard of people "going in on" a whole or half cow, buy all the meat at once and have it butchered and split up...tons of meat/cuts for cheap.

Fresh herbs that would otherwise rot in the veggie drawer get chopped, put in an ice cube tray, topped off with olive oil, and frozen. Whenever I need some, I just grab a cube and toss it in the pan.

"blue apples" (can be found at the grocers) kept in with the veggies keep them fresh way longer, those green thin film bags work well two, keeps parsley for 2 weeks.

Use stores with gas points, we get extra point coupons all the time too. Have gotten it down to the point where I spend $150 on groceries I need anyway and when the SWMBO and I redeem the doubled points together and fill both tanks at once, we save $75, half price gas/food.

Purveyors of megapacking such as costco/sams club are great for things like TP, paper towels, toiletries...well worth any membership cost.

Definitely buy dry items when they are on sale as opposed to when you need them and stockpile. Much cheaper overall. We got really good at throwing together amazing meals from what we have on hand.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #77
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Here are our tips:

1. Coupons. Start getting the Sunday papers and look for the little freebie local papers in restaurants and retail businesses around town. Sometimes they're chock full of redplum and smart source coupon inserts. Save your coupons even after they expire because either A) retail stores sometimes don't remove them from their databases on time or B) when the coupons are re-issued by the manufacturer, they use the exact same barcode. There are also tons of online coupon websites and printables online. The best resource for finding these coupons and other valid coupons out there is the coupon database over at hotcouponworld.com

2. Websites. Definitely check out grocery scenario websites like southernsavers.com, commonsensewithmoney.com and others and develop a plan of attack.

3. Have fun and buy in bulk. Get a deep freezer for meats.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #78
naga77777
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Necro-bump.

Just curious for those who mentioned the foodsaver-- anything special about freezing produce? I got really scared when I saw not to food-save garlic or mushrooms because of anaerobic nature of the botulism spores that's on those veggies. Now I'm scared to vacuum-seal any kind of produce. Advise?

Also very interested in these stocks y'all are making from carcasses. I've never actually bought a whole chicken, because I lack any experience whatsoever with separating it into parts. (Sad, I know). So I did feel proud of myself for buying bone-in chicken breasts on sale, and removing the bones and skin myself . Could I have made something out of those bones?

I also bought a Boston butt roast, and cut it into 3 manageable sized portions, and food-saved it. No clue what I can do with that, I just bought it cuz it was >50% discount per lb.

Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )

Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #79
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1600 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2632

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga77777 View Post
Could I have made something out of those bones?
Absolutely. I save all my bones in the freezer until I have a good amount and then toss them all in the stock pot with some onion, celery and carrot (a good place to get rid of "tired" veggies by the way) and simmer and simmer until I get the chicken flavor I am looking for. I have heard of people roasting the bones first, but so far I have been too lazy.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

naga77777 Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #80
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1600 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2632

Does your boston butt have a bone or is it boneless? Skin on?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Quick Reply