Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Maximum Return on Investment- The Supermarket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #41
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1646 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I'm going to take some flak for this one I'm sure, but I always have a box of storebrand instant mashed potatoes. Not only can I get some mashed potatoes inside 10 minutes that dont taste half bad, I also have a thickening agent for everything from croquettes and crabcakes to beef gravy.
You c** sucking **** face.......of all the nerve??!??!

Oh!....wait.....does it save you money?

(sorry, just wanted to be FIRST at dishing some flak)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #42
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1750 Times on 1213 Posts
Likes Given: 2971

Appreciated cheezy. well-played.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #43
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4629 Times on 4532 Posts
Likes Given: 2196

Love the tips. Most are common sense. Try to make the most out of what you buy and throw away as little as possible. Planning meals or having a set of go-to meals that you can switch to when you see a given item or items on sale is a huge saver in the end.

Crock pot cooking things like soups, stew, chili, etc is also a great saver. You can make a week's worth of split pea soup with a few carrots/onions, 2 $1 bags of split peas, stock and a ham bone.

Buy dry beans instead of canned beans. Once you learn how to prepare them, it's significantly cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mursed View Post
Two words....Food Saver
This with a chest freezer is truly the way to go. Seasonal fruit on sale? Great, freeze it (berries, peaches, etc). Whole beef tenderloin on sale for $6.99/lb? Buy 2, section them into meal-sized portions and freeze them! And so on. It's how we do all of our meats and a lot of our fruits (we grow our own fruit, so we end up freezing a lot as it ripens all at once in quantities greater than you can eat)

And, if you eat a lot of meat, I would say get a side of beef, pork, bison, etc.
We bought a whole side of bison 2.5 years ago and split it with my parents. Still finishing up a few cuts and will probably try to re-stock this winter. Talk about saving money! Do the math on a side of meat compared to market prices!

Get rich or get sandy trying...-AZ_IPA

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 09-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #44
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaktopview View Post
one thing i would also like to recommend is make a weekly menu, you can plan on making extra of something and using the leftovers somewhere else.

also look to where you can substitute an ingredient or switch menu nights in case of sales.

with food prices going up across the board, stay away from the processed foods and put up a good effort to learning some simple scratch cooking. the internet is your friend.
Good advice. I look at the store ads the day I go shopping, and plan a few meals around whatever is on sale, stocking up on core kitchen staples only when they are on sale.

And it can be a bit of a PITA, but I plan alternate shopping trips. I hit the fresh market for veggies, fruits, meats/fish, and then I hit the local big chain for dry food stuffs and kitchen staples. I find that the sales are more frequent and the prices almost always lower for things like flour, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, etc at the big market places (Safeway, Costco, etc). Everyone should try to find a good fresh market as they will have much better tasting, fresher, and more local produce.

Quote:
Here's another one, root veggies with the leaves attached. For example radishes with leaves cost $0.99 a bunch locally. Radish greens have a nice peppery kick to them, so they are nice in most salads. Its almost like getting free salad greens.

Same can be said for beets. The greens can be cooked and eaten the same way you would kale or collards.
Ohhh, good suggestion. I also save my broccoli stalks and slice most of the softer sections of the stalks into our weekly stir fry (which is a great way to incorporate these left-over byproducts of the rest of your weekly cooking/meals)

Randar, send me some of your hot fluids, so that I can put them in my mouth.-TowsonTiger22

I feel like I may need to take a stroll around gen pop and say hi to my subjects.-Ace_Club

Old 09-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #45
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My now-wife roped me into renting an apartment with her by bribing me a series of shelves for me to put jars on. I buy a lot of spices, rice, and other dry goods like beans in bags because it is considerably cheaper. Instead of having to throw them out because they went off or dried out or got full of weevils, I put them all in jars and label them.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #46
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1646 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
My now-wife roped me into renting an apartment with her by bribing me a series of shelves for me to put jars on. I buy a lot of spices, rice, and other dry goods like beans in bags because it is considerably cheaper. Instead of having to throw them out because they went off or dried out or got full of weevils, I put them all in jars and label them.
Your NOW WMBO?

Jars are great.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #47
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6266 Times on 5439 Posts
Likes Given: 809

I have a pet tortoise that gets all of my soon-to-spoil green things. During peak metabolism (summer) that little thing can mow through a ton of green. He really loves brocolli stems.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #48
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I have a pet tortoise that gets all of my soon-to-spoil green things. During peak metabolism (summer) that little thing can mow through a ton of green. He really loves brocolli stems.
Now that just sound like a waste (unless you are planning to eat it later)...

Old 09-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #49
peaktopview
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to take some flak for this one I'm sure, but I always have a box of storebrand instant mashed potatoes. Not only can I get some mashed potatoes inside 10 minutes that dont taste half bad, I also have a thickening agent for everything from croquettes and crabcakes to beef gravy.
instant mash potatoes actually make a great breading for white fish (tilapia, snapper, halibut). just use them instead of bread crumbs. tasty, tasty
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #50
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Now that sounds like a great idea.

Oh, I buy garlic heads in the little mesh bag, and if any of them get a little dry I roast them in the oven in foil with olive oil and a little salf for spreading on beef and/or veggies or mashed potatoes.

Also, dont forget, a good quality pomice or "pure" olive oil is JUST FINE for sauteeing or basically anything that requires heat. If you cant taste it, you shouldnt have to spend a skillion dollars on it.

Quick Reply