Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Maximum Return on Investment- The Supermarket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #31
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
8. Asian Markets. Seriously. They smell weird, you can't read at least half of the signage, but their prices are generally lower. They are usually friendly with custom orders too. Example: XL Shrimp is $9+/# at the local grocer. At the Asian place, XL Head-on shrimp is $5.99 -- even after head weight, you're saving at least $2/#. Sliced ribeye is $5.99 per pound. Ask the butcher for a few pounds unsliced and you got ribeye for under $6/# while the big box grocer will want $8.99+. Like Yooper mentioned, if you are a foodie and adventurous, you'll love these places: squid, sting ray, cheap white fish you can't pronounce, shellfish you've never seen, but it's all fresh and relatively cheap.
Asian markets, FTW!!! Great selection of crazy things you'd never find elsewhere. Anybody up for a Durian Popsicle?

For the shrimp heads, fry 'em right up and eat 'em whole! Tastes like fried shrimp dipped in butter... and speaking of saving money, the look on your friend's face when you eat 'em is priceless!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #32
peaktopview
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

like others, i recommend a food saver (got the large mouth canning jar attachment also). it has paid for itself with me being able to buy bulk (this includes hops) and freezing the extra. i even helps keep stuff longer in the fridge. the canning jars are reusable, so if i am able to use them it keeps me from wasting money on the bags. throwing out food that has gone bad is just throwing away money. might as well toss dollar bills in the trash. the food saver extends the amount of time you have to use something.

one thing i would also like to recommend is make a weekly menu, you can plan on making extra of something and using the leftovers somewhere else. for example, spaghetti and meatballs one night (making extra meatballs) and having meatball sandwiches for lunch a day or two later. it really doesn't take that much more time to make 20 meatballs instead of 10 and you have lunch made already. pretty much the same idea as cooking a whole chicken. with chicken you can plan on roasted chicken one night and tacos or enchiladas with the leftover pulled meat. with a menu laid out, you have a list of ingredients that, as long as you stick to the list, will keep you from impulse buying. also look to where you can substitute an ingredient or switch menu nights in case of sales.

its weird for me, having been through culinary school and over the years cooking in some amazing restaurants, with some amazing ingredients, one of my favorite things to cook at home is a big dutch oven of gumbo (all from scratch, including the andouille) . i can sit and eat it for days straight and not get tired of it. i tend to bulk up the rice in it as a filler which stretches it out an extra day or two. rice is cheap.

with food prices going up across the board, stay away from the processed foods and put up a good effort to learning some simple scratch cooking. the internet is your friend.

good luck

b

Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1683 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2868

Here's another one, root veggies with the leaves attached. For example radishes with leaves cost $0.99 a bunch locally. Radish greens have a nice peppery kick to them, so they are nice in most salads. Its almost like getting free salad greens.

Same can be said for beets. The greens can be cooked and eaten the same way you would kale or collards.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #34
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Same can be said for beets. The greens can be cooked and eaten the same way you would kale or collards.
my wife's family uses them to make beet rolls, just like cabbage rolls but with the beet leaves instead

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #35
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

@GoofyNewfie- that sounds pretty awesome.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #36
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1643 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

BREAD CRUMBS +1 from old bread are SO much better.

Have the butcher or meat area cut a whole pork loin into THIN steaks. Amazingly, 1 thin pork chop with a few well chosen side items is a meal.

Awesome point about buying greens with the veg. Actually carrot and celery greens are fantastic in most soups.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #37
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2267 Times on 1617 Posts
Likes Given: 1244

This list is amazing! I'm amazed that Creamy actually posted something worthwhile!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #38
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1643 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
This list is amazing! I'm amazed that Creamy actually posted something worthwhile!
Oh come now!

The cat whizz thread was full of good, time honored life lessons, opportunities for inspiration and personal growth, and might possibly have increased my IQ ever so slightly.

Why, I am a better man because of such threads.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #39
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 26

never buy instant rice. Here a 1kg(2.2lb) box sell for around 8 or 9 dollars.
a 18 pound bag of jasmine rice sell for about 15 dollars and does not take that much longer to cook

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #40
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm going to take some flak for this one I'm sure, but I always have a box of storebrand instant mashed potatoes. Not only can I get some mashed potatoes inside 10 minutes that dont taste half bad, I also have a thickening agent for everything from croquettes and crabcakes to beef gravy.

Quick Reply