Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Mars Curiosity. Anyone Else Excited!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I certainly don't think a manned mission to Mars would have to be of the "suicide" variety. Granted it makes immensely more complex and expensive to provide a rocket with fuel to return home. But there is no reason, besides cost and time that this hurdle could not be overcome. Its basically a Moon Shot with higher fuel/supplies requirements. Our first trip to the Moon was 43 years ago when the memory of a graphing calculator took up an enormous room. You could probably run what all of Nasa's mainframes did on an IPad.

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III
TzeentchPlayer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I certainly don't think a manned mission to Mars would have to be of the "suicide" variety. Granted it makes immensely more complex and expensive to provide a rocket with fuel to return home. But there is no reason, besides cost and time that this hurdle could not be overcome. Its basically a Moon Shot with higher fuel/supplies requirements. Our first trip to the Moon was 43 years ago when the memory of a graphing calculator took up an enormous room. You could probably run what all of Nasa's mainframes did on an IPad.
I agree. Thankfully much of this tech design is in the hands of the private sector where ingenuity is encouraged.

I heard one time that a Furby has more computing power than the entire set of Apollo missions. lol

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 25

People still go into space? Whatever happened to the bottom of the oceans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 07-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I think they're still down there.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
Ever watch this?: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Thankfully, here in Texas the high school students have to take 4yrs of science and one class can be Earth and Planetary Sciences. I hope to teach that class one day
I watch it all the time. I had 4 years of science and 5 classes of it in high school since I was a science dork even back then I took AP Bio and Environment science senior year. With the amount of multimedia in classrooms now I think it would be easier for kids to see NASA's work. About the only thing I remember NASA wise was watching a Space Shuttle launch in 1990( IIRC maybe '91) other then that we were taught nothing about space, and very little about the Earth in general.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1700 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
The issue ends up being that with current fuel sources you can't lift off with the load to get back.

I hope to be alive to see the first manned mars mission. Exciting times we live in.

My Instagram

Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #17
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
The issue ends up being that with current fuel sources you can't lift off with the load to get back.

I hope to be alive to see the first manned mars mission. Exciting times we live in.
So leave the return load in orbit around Mars. Lift then would just be the rocket and people and samples on board. Of course I make rocket science sound sooooo easy. lol

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1700 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Well you would have to get the return load up into space first. It would have to orbit Earth while everything else got up, then find a way to do the same on Mars.

I think the focus at this point should be alternate fuel sources. We're still basing out space program off of WW2 rocketry and it's time we advanced that.

Of course, alternative energy is, and will continue to be a hot button topic, but we all know why that is.

My Instagram

Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
Well you would have to get the return load up into space first. It would have to orbit Earth while everything else got up, then find a way to do the same on Mars.

I think the focus at this point should be alternate fuel sources. We're still basing out space program off of WW2 rocketry and it's time we advanced that.

Of course, alternative energy is, and will continue to be a hot button topic, but we all know why that is.
Agreed. Academically, the technology is available. It's getting people to change that makes it difficult

Quote:
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default My local countdown timer.

Quote:
- Arthur Weasley

Quick Reply