Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Mars Curiosity. Anyone Else Excited!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Brew-Happy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mars Curiosity. Anyone Else Excited!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/

About 12 days and NASA will do their best not to splat millions of dollars on the surface of Mars. Anyone else willing to stay up and watching it??

A rover the size of a compact car making a "controlled" decent to the surface of another planet??? Sounds like homebrew to me.

Let the fun begin.

Aggie.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
b-boy
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 401 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I love this stuff. I remember the Gemini and Apollo missions as a kid. It was awesome!

I'm bummed that no one seems to care about this any more.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #3
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-boy View Post
I love this stuff. I remember the Gemini and Apollo missions as a kid. It was awesome!

I'm bummed that no one seems to care about this any more.
Keep an eye out. I'm hoping that NASA TV will be airing the decent and results.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 744 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

I'll be watching if I can. Till then, I'll hoist a pint (or 2) to Dr. Sally Ride, RIP.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/features/ride.html
She is currently exploring the true final frontier.
Regards, GF.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #5
slomo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
I'll be watching if I can. Till then, I'll hoist a pint (or 2) to Dr. Sally Ride, RIP.
http://www.nasa.gov/topics/people/features/ride.html
She is currently exploring the true final frontier.
Regards, GF.
Yeah I was sad to hear about Dr. Ride's passing. With respect to the landing on Mars it seems pretty complicated, and sounds like a lot could go wrong. It will be awesome if NASA succeeds. Is the landing on 7/28?

Primary: guinness clone, IIPA
Secondary:
Bottled: RIS
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo View Post
Yeah I was sad to hear about Dr. Ride's passing. With respect to the landing on Mars it seems pretty complicated, and sounds like a lot could go wrong. It will be awesome if NASA succeeds. Is the landing on 7/28?
My understanding is the rover is supposed to land on the night of Aug 5th depending on your location. I'm trying to post the countdown time now.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov The countdown timer is at the bottom of the page (IF someone that is good at html can post it in this thread, I would be greatful!)

hmmm i can't get the image to post like i wanted. The worst part will be the 7min decent where they have no communication. Pass/Fail kinda test.

Quote:
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I love reading about the space race in the 50's/60's. Really interesting stuff. Then watching the Space Shuttle missions as a kid was really captivating. Unfortunately I don't get that excited about these unmanned missions to Mars. I will still pay attention to some of it though.

Two concepts on how to do a manned mission to Mars. The earth orbit rocket build option had astronomical costs. The second option where Earth Return fuel is made on the surface of Mars had costs that were still very high, but more manageable. I would love to see us get back to manned missions, but the economy has no room for it now. If we ever did, it could spur on a lot of industry and technology innovations because of all the challenges it presents.

Primary #1: Cascadian Dark Ale #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Empty
Kegged
: Irish Red
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, Peach Rhubarb Wne
On Deck: Spruced Winter Warmer

Old 07-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I plan on watching. I love the work NASA does, it could get kids interested in science. Too bad schools don't teach anything about space besides the names of the planets.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
I love reading about the space race in the 50's/60's. Really interesting stuff. Then watching the Space Shuttle missions as a kid was really captivating. Unfortunately I don't get that excited about these unmanned missions to Mars. I will still pay attention to some of it though.

Two concepts on how to do a manned mission to Mars. The earth orbit rocket build option had astronomical costs. The second option where Earth Return fuel is made on the surface of Mars had costs that were still very high, but more manageable. I would love to see us get back to manned missions, but the economy has no room for it now. If we ever did, it could spur on a lot of industry and technology innovations because of all the challenges it presents.
One huge hurdle right now for a manned mission is the people going likely won't come back. There have been several articles recently about this being a "suicide" mission. Terrible description, but they will likely be there to stay.

I have read some interesting stuff on how private industry is building up a ton of space tech. Just recently a private company docked a module to ISS!

Quote:
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82 View Post
I plan on watching. I love the work NASA does, it could get kids interested in science. Too bad schools don't teach anything about space besides the names of the planets.
Ever watch this?: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Thankfully, here in Texas the high school students have to take 4yrs of science and one class can be Earth and Planetary Sciences. I hope to teach that class one day

Quote:
- Arthur Weasley

Quick Reply