Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Marriage Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #1
Nic0
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Marriage Advice

No delicate way to put this....who has gone through a separation/divorce before in a Marriage? Suggestions? Advice? Words of Wisdom? Anything inbetween?

Thanks,

Nic

Bottled: a strange yet somehow award winning pale ale
Primary Fermenter: Experimental porter
Kegged: Nothing, as I have no kegging equipment
Favorite Commercial Beers: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Young's D.C. Stout, Choc Last Laugh
Upscale equipment project slowly progressing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1931 Times on 1905 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ouch! Sorry man. There was a thread on here last year that turned into a really good thread about divorce and separation, but I can't remember where it is. Either way, you'll soon see, that most of us on here have been divorced or separated at some point. It's tough and hard as hell. Keep you head up and try to stay positive. The one thing I did was make sure that I did NOT drink a lot. Knowing that I have a tendency to imbibe a bit too much I knew that drowning my sorrows was a bad idea. Surround yourself with friends too. Try to do things to take your mind off of it, ie, brew more. Tme is really the only thing that will make it better.

Have you been married long? Is a divorce definite or just a separation? Kids? I hope that it works out for you! Good luck.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
Nic0

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Merritt View Post
Ouch! Sorry man. There was a thread on here last year that turned into a really good thread about divorce and separation, but I can't remember where it is. Either way, you'll soon see, that most of us on here have been divorced or separated at some point. It's tough and hard as hell. Keep you head up and try to stay positive. The one thing I did was make sure that I did NOT drink a lot. Knowing that I have a tendency to imbibe a bit too much I knew that drowning my sorrows was a bad idea. Surround yourself with friends too. Try to do things to take your mind off of it, ie, brew more. Tme is really the only thing that will make it better.

Have you been married long? Is a divorce definite or just a separation? Kids? I hope that it works out for you! Good luck.
Wow. "most" is a pretty large number!

ANyway, I'll try not to get too detailed but we married in Nov 2009, so a little over a year. I never expected things to be easy and not require work. We had our tiffs and arguments, but rarely anything major. A few months back (before the 1 year mark) she just kinda told me she wasn't happy, but she didn't really know why, and I still don't think she does. She's jsut been going out all the time since then (it ramped up, not sudden). She's told me I'm a great husband and all her friends think she's crazy for not being happy, but hey you can't force happiness. We are not currently divorced, but we are separating in a couple of weeks. She has never had a chance to really fully support herself, and always had parents to bail her out financially if needed, so I think one thing that's bothering her is that she doesn't even know if she can do it. Maybe that's the ONLY major thing. We will see. But she's got an apartment lease signed and getting all set up to move out at the end of the month. That's kinda where we stand.

No kids, and none in the making as far as I know. And I guess I'm old and don't typically try to drink my problems away. I've tried to stay positive and I Think I'm handling it well... got plenty of good friends. Not all of them know yet, still trying to find the best way to break it to them and my family (her mom knows, don't think her dad knows).

Anyway, well thanks for the help..... I'll hope for the best.

Nic

Favorite Commercial Beers: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Young's D.C. Stout, Choc Last Laugh

Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

Sounds like a somewhat amicable separation. Very different from the couple that I know that went through this. I'm kind of feeling sorry for her, not knowing why she is not happy. Many facets of life can depress you. Hell, just getting older is a bit depressing! Maybe all she needs is to be on her own for a bit and see what life alone is like.

And it sucks being "a great person and all", but still not being able to make it work. Hang in there, keep on being yourself and you will be happy. People do get back together, so who knows if this is temporary, or the start of something completely different for you.

I'm lucky to be in a marriage where I think we both look forward to growing old together. Ok, maybe not growing old together, but being together. Can't help the growing old part!

As far as advice, I'd say, don't make it harder for both of you by being a jerk. It only takes one to start a jerk fest.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1931 Times on 1905 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Maybe I should restate the "most" of us comment. What I meant was that most of the people that commented on that prefvious thread had been through something similar.

To comment on homer's comment, my wife and I separated a month before our 10th anniversary. She wasn't happy and moved out. 8 months later we worked things out and she moved home. We have our 12th anniversary in a couple of weeks. So it is possible. Just stay positive and don't try to start arguements over trivial things.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sorry to hear it, hope it works out for both of you. Stay positive, get a lawyer. Don't share a lawyer with your wife to save money, it will cost you in the end. Get control of the credit cards, checking and savings accounts. Make sure her name or authority to use those accounts is removed. If you owned a home together get her to sign a quit claim. Get a lawyer and file the divorce papers before she does. Did I mention "Get a Lawyer"!

Sorry to be so cold, but my ex and I didn't walk away from the marriage smiling!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Break all ties as soon as the decision is final and stick to it, that's advice I give everyone. Not completely breaking ties hurt me in the end. And it gets better. I am now happily married again, with a kid and wouldn't trade my new family for anything. Live and learn...

Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
Nic0

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Sounds like a somewhat amicable separation. Very different from the couple that I know that went through this. I'm kind of feeling sorry for her, not knowing why she is not happy. Many facets of life can depress you. Hell, just getting older is a bit depressing! Maybe all she needs is to be on her own for a bit and see what life alone is like.

And it sucks being "a great person and all", but still not being able to make it work. Hang in there, keep on being yourself and you will be happy. People do get back together, so who knows if this is temporary, or the start of something completely different for you.

I'm lucky to be in a marriage where I think we both look forward to growing old together. Ok, maybe not growing old together, but being together. Can't help the growing old part!

As far as advice, I'd say, don't make it harder for both of you by being a jerk. It only takes one to start a jerk fest.
I feel sorry for her too. And she's agreed to go to counseling with me (or separately, if needed).

And rarely will I be a jerk to anyone (maybe if they cut me off in traffic). If for some reason things didn't work out, I'd rather end up with a friend than an enemy, or neutral party at worst.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #9
skyebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Im on marriage number 3 (one divorce involving a child, one not) so not a marriage counselor, but familiar with separations. If you want things to work, give space and let her get it together. Just let her come to you when she is ready. If you arent up to waiting or have lost faith, cut it off completely to save yourself some heartache. Like mentioned earlier, only time will fix it and nothing can speed that up. Good luck, and use this thread to vent as needed. Seems like there are plenty of people here willing to help

Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #10
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic0 View Post
And I guess I'm old
Old? You are 25!