Mark Knopfler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My family used to play Mark Knopfler's Screenplaying Cd on long road trips across the country. To this day, many of those tracks brings me back to that back seat in our family minivan while we made our way through Canada's north, the Cabot Trail, winding roads in Kelona.

I love that CD.

There were on my list too, and we saw them in about 2000 or 2001. But Christine McVie was not there, of course.

Just saw FM in Hartford...with Christine. Awesome.

As for MK, Telegraph Road, pseudo movie music score, all the way, all day long!

Clapton has been on my list forever, but he never tours. Although, I suppose he still goes to his own Crossroads Festival if there is one? (or not).

Also, someone I'd love to see in person is Warren Haynes. LOVE his guitar sound and his soul.

I got to see Warren Haynes play a few times with Govt Mule, Phil Lesh & The Dead. He is well worth catching.
I saw him play with The Dead & Phil Lesh & Friends. Both times the 2nd guitarist was a guy named Jimmy Herring, who now plays with WideSpread Panic.
if you get a chance to check Jimmy Herring out, the dude is sick!!!!

I saw PJ in 1991, Soundgarden in 92.

I will see Mike Watt (Minutemen, fIREHOSE) before I die.

I saw PJ in 94, Mudhoney opened. Great, Great Show!!!

LOL - my kids and I run a part time traveling coffee and espresso business -- we often go to music festivals and many times I can only hear rather than see the artists, but in the past 4 years we have seen (or heard) the Allman's, Gov't Mule, Tedeschi Trucks, Hot Tuna, Ivan Neville, Leftover Salmon, Lettuce, Umphree's McGee, the Traveling McCourys, the Del McCoury Band, the Disco Biscuits, Further, the String Cheese Incident. Railroad Earth, Trampled By Turtles, Jaimoes Jazz Band, Bela Fleck ... too many to name

@Yooper - do you by any chance get an MTV channel called Paladia?? They often run full hours of the Crossroads Festival

Sounds like SoccerDad travels in my type of circles.
I was at the Allman's show when Dicky slammed his guitar down and walked off stage.
I got to see Susan Tedeschi when she was an unknown blue singer. She was still great!

Random thought- the older I get the more I feel EVH is overrated, Sure he is technically great, but he is playing the same rock song for 30+ years, where is the growth?
Guys like Knopfler, broaden their horizons and grow. Knopfler's soundtrack to The princess Bride (one of my favorie movies) is brilliant!
(not to mention I cant listen to EVH without thinking of how much of a Loon he is, between his treatment of Micheal Anthony and the whole "I cured my cancer!)

I am lucky that there is a 2 day jazz festival here yearly that has allowed me to see some of my bucket list -Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, Tito Puente, Dave Breubeck, Mongo.
I got to see EVH with Van Hagar (I actually dislike DLR)!
Peart before and after the grip change!
I got to see both Garcia & Gilmour (neither in their prime)

Wish I could have seen a Levon Helm Ramble!!!!!
Would like to see Clapton

I like Mark Knopfler, seems like a real nice guy too. Would definitely try to catch him if he came to Aus.

My bucket-list has Fleetwood Mac at the top, especially now they are ALL back together.

I had worked for the main editing company for video and audio back around 2000. I had the privilege of meeting him and his producer testing out studio setups on some stuff we were working on. Easiest guy to talk too and wouldn't even recognize him walking down the hall. Best thing was hearing some of his practice tracks.

My bucket-list has Fleetwood Mac at the top, especially now they are ALL back together.

Well actually ... :) ... they won't all be together with Peter Green gone and Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer long out of the picture. My absolute favorite FM music is the 1969 "In Chicago" when the band was pretty much just McVie, Fleetwood, Green and Kirwan .. it is a raw sometimes out of tune session with Walter Horton, Buddy Guy, Honeyboy Edwards and some real blues masters. It was several years before Christine McVie, Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined in ... that was indeed still great stuff, but for me the earliest FM was the best FM

Assuming EVH=Eddie Van Halen...I know a guy who has worked on his guitars...total dick.

So many people have said the same thing, but I'd still LOVE to have him drop some new music! It could just be the guys jamming in the rehearsal room for all I care.

If they did come out with a new CD they could call it, "Nepotism". :cross:

@Yooper - do you by any chance get an MTV channel called Paladia?? They often run full hours of the Crossroads Festival

LOL at 'cable TV', let alone MTV and other channels. I do have a TV at the main house- and sometimes I remember to turn it on.

Surprised you haven't caught Warren - dude's a road warrior. Seems like the Mule is perpetually coming to town. Anyway, they're touring with John Scofield in February/March. Talk about some serious guitar playing. You might check those dates/tour stops on their site. It'll be a good show for sure.

Cheers.

Also, Knopfler is a bada$$.

Warren Haynes tours all the time- on the east coast and out west. NEVER in the upper midwest. We talked about going to Mountain Jam one year, while I am pushing for the Island Exodus but that won't happen, I'm sure. He (with Gov't Mule) is in chicago next month, while we are in South Texas, and that's the first time he had been within 400 miles of our home.

I am really glad a read this thread. Didn't know he was touring. Going to try and get tickets for Niagara Falls!

One of the best guitarists ever.

fYES.

I LOVE Mark Knopfler, almost as much as Eddie Vedder.

He's touring this year, Europe and the US. The closest to me in the fall is Milwaukee. The expensive tickets went on presale today, but the 'medium' priced tickets go on presale tomorrow. I am going to be there, even if not in 'rows A-Q'. :D

He's on my bucket list. Joe Cocker was one, also, but um, well..........never did see Joe Cocker.

Anyway, who else loves Mark Knopfler? Who else is bucket-list worthy?

Quite possibly the most gifted guitarist in a generation...

I've seen him 4 times.... going back to the early 90's on the Dire Straits' "On Every Street" tour. Seen him solo, twice, and once with Emmylou Harris. Even had tix to a show that got cancelled because of his broken shoulder.

And he's coming about an hour away on the new tour.... but will I go? Hmmm. As much as I love his music (and I do), I think he's gotten too full of himself and overly self-indulgent in terms of touring, pricing, and concert venue conditions & restrictions.

Not happy with that part of the 'Knopfler experience'.

So will I go? Don't know; the jury is still out on that decision.

I checked out disc 1 of his greatest hits while working yesterday.

He's a good player, but I'm not sure he'd be on my listening list. Just not a fan of most of the stuff he's playing.

He is a good enough player that I'm still interested in finding more of his stuff. Sometimes musicians go through different stages and sometime you just have to find that era that sounds best to you.

A lot of it did remind me of Colin Hay's solos stuff, especially the vocal arrangement and tone. I miss Men At Work's Reggae influenced sound though. I love some good pop reggae and ska.

Well actually ... :) ... they won't all be together with Peter Green gone and Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer long out of the picture. My absolute favorite FM music is the 1969 "In Chicago" when the band was pretty much just McVie, Fleetwood, Green and Kirwan .. it is a raw sometimes out of tune session with Walter Horton, Buddy Guy, Honeyboy Edwards and some real blues masters. It was several years before Christine McVie, Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined in ... that was indeed still great stuff, but for me the earliest FM was the best FM

Haha, yes I shouldn't forget the original FM. But I am a fan of the Lindsay Buckingham FM(But not of Stevie, lol).

I had worked for the main editing company for video and audio back around 2000. I had the privilege of meeting him and his producer testing out studio setups on some stuff we were working on. Easiest guy to talk too and wouldn't even recognize him walking down the hall. Best thing was hearing some of his practice tracks.

That sounds awesome!

Sorry, bro, but Billy Gibbons is not a guitar player. Not much of one, anyway.

What? Someone who has been around playing as long as he has can't be too bad. They (he) practically had their OWN sound for decades. Not many bands can make that same statement.

True, he's not technically a "virtuoso" player, but he's a fairly gifted blues player and again, that unique sound!

What? Someone who has been around playing as long as he has can't be too bad. They (he) practically had their OWN sound for decades. Not many bands can make that same statement.

True, he's not technically a "virtuoso" player, but he's a fairly gifted blues player and again, that unique sound!

I'd sacrifice body parts for that tone.

Back