Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Making Baby Food

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Default Making Baby Food

So, who does it?

I know we have had a lot of babies born here in the past year, so how many of you are making your own baby food? We just started, pretty excited about the nutrition and economy of it all!

Made a weeks worth of food for baby last night in 15 minutes!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2998 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 28

How do you do it? Just steam the food and toss in a food processor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

We did it. None of my kids are babies any more now though.

We had a little hand grinder, put the cooked and cooled food in, and grind away!

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 11-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

They dont recommed steaming persay as the nutrients end up in the water. They do however recommend cooking the foods in a container with a couple TBSP of water, then processing them. We then freeze them in special "ice cube" containers that divide it up into 1oz servings.

Once frozen, you pop them out, seal in a bag, mark with type and date. You then thaw them and serve later, one at a time

After reading about processed baby foods and what they do to it to make it last for YEARS, we decided it wasnt really for us, and the cost is rediculous.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Same as what we do. We peel a squash, sweet potato, etc. and cut it in half. Lay it on a plate with a little water around it and microwave for 5 to 10 minutes. We have a $10 food processor from Menards that turns it into mush in no time. Its then frozen into the ice cube trays. We've got a freezer full of trays of various squash, yams, carrots, peas, and more.

We haven't tried any meats, but I suppose the process is similar. They just have to be mixed with something mushy.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think it's really only useful for that short "in between" phase where they're eating solids, but not eating regular table food yet. If you buy a lot of baby food when it's on sale, it's not THAT much more expensive than making your own. Especially here in Chicago where produce is usually rape anyway... not much difference between buying a $6 squash and spending a half hour prepping it, or buying 10 jars of food and calling it a day.

We would do some here and there, but we mostly fed commercial food at the puree stage.

Now that he's on to table food (16 mos), it's a lot more fun... I make him "sandwiches" where I put two think sliced of meat and a slice of cheese between two pieces of LIGHTLY buttered bread (just to get it to stick basically), and then smash it flat with a big knife or the bottom of a pot. Trim the crusts off, cut it into squares, and you have a fingerfood sandwiches.

Stuff like that... other than that, he eats what we eat.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #7
Dalarast
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We steam vegetables in our steamer like normal and we through it into a food processor we bought for this. After a few weeks we got lazy and used our tv commercial grade electric chopper to chop of the girls food. It saved a crap load of money and was worth it. Thankfully my girls are now at that age that they tell me they don't like food and can explain why and I'm left dumbfounded with their reasoning. Damn I'm getting old...

Old 11-12-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I saw the thread title and thought it was a euphemism for drinking too much!

Our babies weren't on baby food for long. Sometimes SWMBO would grind up whatever we were having and add that to commercial baby food but usually it was just a serving of whatever was on the table. Mashed to a thick goo of course.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 AM   #9
Palefire
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVH_Dan View Post
Same as what we do. We peel a squash, sweet potato, etc. and cut it in half. Lay it on a plate with a little water around it and microwave for 5 to 10 minutes. We have a $10 food processor from Menards that turns it into mush in no time. Its then frozen into the ice cube trays. We've got a freezer full of trays of various squash, yams, carrots, peas, and more.
Did this but moved on to more substantial stuff as quickly as we could. He was also really into feeding himself so we gave him all kinds of finger food (eggs, fruits, veggies, pita, etc.). Now the dude (10 mos) pretty much eats whatever we eat, unless it's too spicy.

Usually on Sunday we'll make a pot of brown rice with a ton of cut-up veggies and maybe some beans in it, and he eats it at least once a day for the next 3-4 days. Really easy, really healthy, and he digs it.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
goose_on_fire
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with MrInternet, the "baby food" phase is so short that we just bought the baby food for a while. It seems like with the first kid we were more touchy about moving to "real food" but the younger boy basically went from the tit to whatever the rest of us are having for dinner. We might mash it or cut it into pieces but it's nothing I'd call "baby food."

The big thing for us was to look at the ingredient list on the baby food jar-- some jars that contain "squash" will say "squash, salt" and some will say "squash, sodiubichloromethalidamalathiaminoplasma, Tibetan yak sperm." So we just kept an eye on the ingredient list for the (very brief) baby food phase.

Quick Reply