Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Mail order sashimi grade fish?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Mail order sashimi grade fish?

I'm a big fan of Good Eats and I just picked up an old Sushi special. Alton mentioned it's safer to buy the fish flash frozen and mail ordered. I'm sure I could Google it, but if anyone frequently buys fish online, I'd like to get your recommendation. The one thing I'm missing is the little bamboo mats for rolling hand rolls. I got my Nori, short grain rice, and rice vinegar ready to go.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I'm a big fan of Good Eats and I just picked up an old Sushi special. Alton mentioned it's safer to buy the fish flash frozen and mail ordered. I'm sure I could Google it, but if anyone frequently buys fish online, I'd like to get your recommendation. The one thing I'm missing is the little bamboo mats for rolling hand rolls. I got my Nori, short grain rice, and rice vinegar ready to go.
As much as I love cooking and LOVE sushi, it's just one of those things that I (being a guy who lives in Illinois) leaves to the restaurants. Sushi chefs know their sh!t when it comes to picking out fish that's safe to eat raw.

Good luck to you.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
...The one thing I'm missing is the little bamboo mats for rolling hand rolls. I got my Nori, short grain rice, and rice vinegar ready to go.
Can't help with the fish ordering, but I'm pretty sure I've seen those bamboo mats at the local asian food market and even at "World Market".

Old 06-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I'd be wary of buying fish that you plan on eating raw sight unseen. You're in Jersey, just go to a reputable local fishmonger and get it there...

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Whole Foods generally has decent fish.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Yeast Infection
Recipes 

When i make sushi, i get my fish from Whole foods, its flown in everyday, and they throw the "leftovers" out at the end of the day. Never have had a problem or second guessed the quality of fish (and i live in colorado). If you have never made sushi before....be prepared for: 1) a large mess, 2) The biggest roll you have ever seen (its hard to judge how much of each ingredient to use) , 3) lots o' fun.
Sorry for being no help on the mail order fish thing, but i have always wanted to order from here: http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/index.htm

Old 06-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

To be truthful, unless you live on the coast near fishing docks, most if not all of the fish you buy is flash frozen on the boats it is caught on, and a lot of the fish you have at sushi restaurants is too. Modern technology has improved freeze/thaw methods to the point that chefs cannot tell the difference between frozen and fresh fish.

I buy my sushi grade fish at Whole Foods, they have a section of it, at least they do in Boulder. They usually have tuna, salmon, yellowtail, and cooked eel, which covers pretty much all the bases for inexpensive to mid-priced sushi that I like to eat. I also usually buy cooked crab meat.

As for equipment, there are like 3 asian markets in my town, two of which are inevitably closed when I go shopping, but I always find one open that has everything I need.

Mu old roomates and I would throw make-your-own sushi parties. Everyone would bring some fish and sake, we would provide environment, equipment, rice and nori....always a fun party and people would just make rolls if they wanted, cut em up, and everyone would leave drunk (on bicycles of course) and full!

Old 06-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I was just going to suggest Whole Foods ("Whole Paycheck"). Best meat and fish that I've found. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had some sashimi-grade fish that's frozen as well; I've bought some really high-quality, flash-frozen seafood there, but I can't recall if there was any sashima-grade tuna.

Actually, if there was, I'm sure my wife would have purchased it.... but, I'd look anyway

Oh, and I guarantee that you can find those bamboo rolling mats there, too.

I haven't made sushi in a long time... hmm... wifey's birthday this weekend...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Exactly, every decent sushi place around here in fact uses fish in frozen one-pound bricks. I know because I can see them thawing in a bowl of water next to the guy doing the rolling. I'll check out whole foods. I'm surprised I don't have one within 15 miles of me. There is a Wegman's though. Maybe they have something like that.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Wegman's is usually pretty high quality, as well - but in my experience, it's still a step below Whole Foods. You pay a premium for shopping at WF, but for special things like this, it's definately worth it.

Incidentally, the Whole Foods around here has one of the best beer selections in the area; worth checking out for this reason, as well.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply