Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Lyme Disease

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Nate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Lyme Disease

Anyone had/have it? I thought I had some weird summer flu thing but went to the doctor and apparently it's Lyme Disease from a tick bite a few weeks back. Bummer news for sure.

All of you living in tick areas, check yourselves after being outside. I definitely got lazy about this and have been bitten numerous times over the years. You just don't think it will happen to you... wrong approach to take.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Anyone had/have it? I thought I had some weird summer flu thing but went to the doctor and apparently it's Lyme Disease from a tick bite a few weeks back. Bummer news for sure.

All of you living in tick areas, check yourselves after being outside. I definitely got lazy about this and have been bitten numerous times over the years. You just don't think it will happen to you... wrong approach to take.
Not a bummer at all. A bummer would be not realizing that it is ravaging your body until permanent damage to your joints and nervous system has been done.

Good pick up by your doc.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
Nate

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I actually picked it up... not the Doc. Above I should have stated that intially I thought it was some summer flu thing. After 5 days of semi-flu like symptoms (fever, chills, body aches, fatique), I started checking and realized it looked more like phase 1 Lyme Disease. I went in and specifically requested a LD blood test.

Still a potential bummer in that many cases have not responded well to the antibiotic course and turned chronic (or initially appeared to have responded and then recurred). I'm hopeful but you never know...

Bottom line regardless is if you're in an area with ticks, don't get complacent about checking yourself.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:01 AM   #4
xamers
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I actually picked it up... not the Doc. Above I should have stated that intially I thought it was some summer flu thing. After 5 days of semi-flu like symptoms (fever, chills, body aches, fatique), I started checking and realized it looked more like phase 1 Lyme Disease. I went in and specifically requested a LD blood test.

Still a potential bummer in that many cases have not responded well to the antibiotic course and turned chronic (or initially appeared to have responded and then recurred). I'm hopeful but you never know...

Bottom line regardless is if you're in an area with ticks, don't get complacent about checking yourself.
That would be pretty rare actually due to modern antibiotics combined with a stringent manufacturing process.

Either way, good for you in catching it.

Good luck with the treatment.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #5
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Great thread! Glad you caught it.

There are several tick-borne diseases but lyme disease is prevalent. Deer ticks (generally small) are the primary, if not only, carrier of lyme disease. Dog ticks (larger) carry other diseases (e.g. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever). Check yourselves for ticks after being in the grass/woods. Yes, check all of those nooks and crannies! Despite popular belief, ticks don't fall out of trees. They typically rest on the edge of low-lying foliage (e.g., a blade of grass) with there fore-legs open-armed waiting for a passer-by to latch onto. Humans aren't their normal hosts. Since their normal host animals are close to the ground, that's where they wait. They can crawl up the human body (undetected) in a matter of minutes, so tuck your pants into your socks when possible.

The good news is, if you have a tick feeding on you and you catch it within 24 hrs and pull it off, your chance of disease is nil (it's really more like 48 hrs, but the books won't tell you that). The way to pull it off is to take a pair of tweezers and grab the body of the tick just behind the head. Apply a constant outward pressure. In a few minutes, the tick just can't hold on anymore and lets go. This way ensures you don't leave the head attached to you, increasing your chance of contracting a disease. Don't use rubbing alcohol (until after tick removal) or oil or soap or whatever, just tweezers.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:28 AM   #6
eriktlupus

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

also remember that all of the lower 48 have ticks

and keep an eye on your dogs and cats cause they will carry them into your home where a tick can latch onto you inside your home

primary1 :UTOPIA BABY(still searching for it)
secondary:middling bastard ipa
kegged:simcoe blonde, crystal pale ale, yellow jacket golden ale, lemon shandy blonde
DRINKIN DAWG BREWERY
LET'S GO RED WINGS

join michigan mashers here

extraction calculator
grains in pounds(G) X 36(average points per gallon of grains) / batch size in gallons(g) = maximum efficiency(ME)
OG / ME = brewhouse efficiency

Old 06-22-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Bedlam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 49

My preferred method of tick removal is to blow out a match and hold the heated tip on the soft underbelly of the basturd. Then it'll let go with no pulling involved. Tough to do on a squirming child, however.

-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

Old 06-22-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

my little brother had it and his joints ached all the time, the doctors didn't believe him and it wasn't until he demanded a blood test that they discovered it... my parents thought of filing a suit against the doctor for ignoring my brothers symptoms for over 1.5 months... but they decided to drop it b/c my brother pulled through and to this day is doing well...

best of luck and here's to a fast recovery!

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I know 3 people who have gotten it here in NC, even though most doctors say you can't get it in this state. My friend got misdiagnosed for 6 months before they caught it. Even if your state isn't on the lyme disease map, keep your eyes open for it.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 06-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Funny... I got it right around Memorial Day. One week into the antibiotics I felt a lot better. Two plus weeks on, I am back to normal. Except the pills make me get sunburned very easily.

Quick Reply