Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > "Luxury sports car..."

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Default "Luxury sports car..."

I've decided that I've earned the right to finally get myself a "luxury sports car". I know there's some car enthusiasts on here who know much more than me about this subject, so help me out!

First off, I have a year to decide. I recently traded in my Wrangler for a Patriot lease, gave that to my wife and took over her Altima lease. I don't want to lease both cars (mileage issues), so when the Altima is up, I'm buying a sports car for myself.

It has to have/be:

1. Over 250 HP
2. A usable back seat
3. $30K or less price tag
4. non-European

...and I prefer a coupe.

It can be used as I'm noticing that a few of the models I'm considering take serious value hits in their first and second year. I wouldn't buy anything more than 2-3 years old.

Right now I'm pretty hung up on the Hyundai Genesis Coupe or the Infitiniti G37X. The G37 would have to be used, but I'd be in the true "luxury" market at that point and they are a good brand to buy used. I wish the Altima Coupe had a turbo model because I really like it. But for the price tag, the Altima lacks the HP I'm looking for. The "dark horse" right now is the Sonata 2T. Same HP as the Genesis, 4dr, and front wheel drive. I'm really leaning towards a coupe though. I've owned two Eclipse's in the past, but now that they've dropped the turbo I'm a little reluctant. It's nice and sporty looking, but that's about it. Anyone know whether the current model is worth modding?

Help me out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
BigKahuna
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Man, If I were in the market for power, I'd look luxury. Can't beat a Caddy!
But.... I can't help look at the Mazda RX8! It doesn't look like it's up your alley, but have you ever driven a rotary engine?

Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

How about a Nissan Maxima. I just bought a 2011 with the sport tech package W/ touch screen nav.. It has 300 HP and is really fast. This is my third one. I'm in sales and drive a lot. I really like this car. They call them a 4 door sports car.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Old 08-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

If they still made it, it would definitely be in the running, but I don't feel comfortable looking at 5+ year old cars at this point. Honestly, used at all is a stretch, and to go used I'd have to be getting a car $35k+ car at a real good value because I'm willing to spend $30k new.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3688 Times on 2271 Posts
Likes Given: 3193

I've got a G35 coupe. I love love this car. It's a 4 seater (legless people only in the back seat). Can't go wrong here. I've also got a 350Z (my son drives it). It's sweet, much stiffer drive, 2-seater. Good luck with your choice. If you go Infinity, I recommend black. I found a black exterior with a tan interior.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
kellzey
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The Suby BRZ is getting good reviews (as is its sister the Scion FR-S)... doesn't quite meat the criteria though.

I have no personal experience with this car.

In the fermenter: Pugkin Ale, Apfelwein
In the keezer: Black Pug Coconut Porter, Black Pug Wheat, Black Pug IPA
Gone: Black Pug Blonde Ale

Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #7
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellzey View Post
The Suby BRZ is getting good reviews (as is its sister the Scion FR-S)... doesn't quite meat the criteria though.

I have no personal experience with this car.
I was very excited looking at both of those cars, but the HP just doesn't cut it, especially for the projected prices. They both MSRP around $27k and have 200hp. And right now, the BRZ doesn't seem to be offering the standard Subaru AWD. To compare, the Genesis coupe MSRP's for around $29k, and has 274HP, not to mention the legendary Hyundai warranty, and it's back seat is rated as being much more "usable" than either of those. Plus, I can get a 2 years old Genesis 3.8 for much less than both of those, still have a ridiculous warranty, and around 330 hp.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
How about a Nissan Maxima. I just bought a 2011 with the sport tech package W/ touch screen nav.. It has 300 HP and is really fast. This is my third one. I'm in sales and drive a lot. I really like this car. They call them a 4 door sports car.
You know the Maxima tears me up. I absolutely LOVE it, but I can't get over this gnawing feeling that its too expensive with not enough "luxury". Without leather I'm looking at $32k. Definitely meets the HP requirement, and I've driven them so I know it translates to the wheels, but I don't like that I have to go over $35k to get all the trappings.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
Zuljin
16%er

Recipes 

Liked 3594 Times on 3277 Posts
Likes Given: 535

You could get into a new or 2011 Dodge Challenger or Chevy Camaro for about that price. Don't know if that counts as luxury.

Used Nissan Z. Coupe, yes. Back seat, well, it has a trunk. Sorta.

But a Caddy, that has everything on your list, if you go a year or two old.

I've driven two Hyundai. The last being a well equipped 2011 Elantra. Not luxury or sport. Nothing that made me want it either. Unimpressive interior components and lacking power on hills. Good on gas though.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You know the Maxima tears me up. I absolutely LOVE it, but I can't get over this gnawing feeling that its too expensive with not enough "luxury". Without leather I'm looking at $32k. Definitely meets the HP requirement, and I've driven them so I know it translates to the wheels, but I don't like that I have to go over $35k to get all the trappings.
I know what you mean. For me, I like one color, Black on black and it has to be loaded. I live in Mass and I couldn't find one in my state or NH. I had to go to RI to find it. It's fully loaded with leather and it's black on black. It is a 2011 that had 40 miles. I got it for 30K. They are a bit pricey, but you can beat'em and get 150K without breaking a sweat.

If you haven't already try Cars.com or autotrader. That's where I found mine..Tons of cars. New and used.

Spezialisiert auf Deutsch Lagerbier...

Quick Reply