Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > looking for ways to cut costs? Try this!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
ryms88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default looking for ways to cut costs? Try this!

If your like me, and like to get the most out of my money, try a traditional double edge razor! Instead of taking short cuts in brewing i looked into other aspects of life to safe money and put more into brewing, this is what i came up with!

Try one of these with a technique called "wet shaving" and you can achieve a better, more comfortable shave. More info here: http://artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04...-your-grandpa/

Now how this saves money....

If you use a gillette fusion or mach 3 like i used to, the cartridges are EXPENSIVE! Lets say you buy 1 refill (8 cartridges) every other month thats $138 a year ($23/package)

Double edge blades cost $4.89+tax at wallgreens for 10 blades ( 1 blade lasts 8-10 shaves) totaling to a whoping $30 a year

= a savings of $100/year

Initial costs of the actual DE razor can be anywhere from $10-$100+

my recomendation fpr beginners is to get an old Gillette tech off of ebay. I got 2 for about $12/each shipped. These old razors are cheap and were manufactured to a higher standard than some of the cheap new ones you can find on ebay. Just make sure you clean and sanitize before use!

If you dont want an old antique and like new things go for a merkur 32c they cost around $40

Not sure how many people on here use DE razors but I thought I would spread the word.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
If you use a gillette fusion or mach 3 like i used to, the cartridges are EXPENSIVE! Lets say you buy 1 refill (8 cartridges) every other month thats $138 a year ($23/package)
So that's like 1 new cartridge every 4 days?

I'm not sure how fast I go through mine, but it's way slower than that!

I bought a bulk package of refills at Costco about three years ago for $70 and I am still using them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2251 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Granted I don't shave my whole face, and really only shave my neck and around my mouth like every other day or 3... So I can go through a 5-pack of blades in about 6 months I think. I don't even keep track.

I just slash with hot water and start cutting. Once in a while, if I do decide to shave my whole face, or just really want a very smooth and comfy feel (for the lady), I use shaving cream.

There is a thread on here about straight razors, which I think last forever, so you coudl save even more money!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
ryms88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
So that's like 1 new cartridge every 4 days?

I'm not sure how fast I go through mine, but it's way slower than that!

I bought a bulk package of refills at Costco about three years ago for $70 and I am still using them.
I would go thru about 1 per week, maybe 2 weeks so 4 weeks per month X 2 months = 8 cartridges

i have to be clean shaven for my job and have to shave just about every day so i would go thru them pretty quick

Old 02-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I bought the costco pack of refills for my mach 3, I had them cryo-treated with some other parts I needed to get done, one razor has lasted me for about a year, still shaves like new, no pulling or nicking. at this rate I will probably be dead before I run out of refills. at 7 dollars per pound to cryo-treat things, I think I made a good investment, I have done my kitchen knives, they take and hold an edge far better than they did before being treated.

On a side note, the Art of Manliness is a great site! have a look around there, lots of good information!

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 02-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
ryms88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i found i can save some money every year cause i shave so much but i guess it really depends on how much you shave and how fast you go thru razors........ i like the cryo-treating idea!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #7
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I am definately down for getting an old school razor, maybe I will cryo a few packs of blades once I find one that gets me a great shave, I have been looking for some good shave products, and there are several I want to try on the art of manliness site.

PM me if you want a few packs done, I will buy them get them cryo'd and send them to you to save on excessive shipping.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

You get the cryo done locally? I would love to find a place that does that around here.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
cricky101
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've been wetshaving for a couple of years and use the Red Personna blades. I buy them online, 100 at a time for about $12. There's a wholesaler on e-bay I buy from.

But it's a lot like brewing beer; my collection of brushes and various shaving soaps and creams has definitely cost me more money!!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
You get the cryo done locally? I would love to find a place that does that around here.
Yes, there is a guy locally here in Scottsdale, Cryogenics International, I use him for all of my motor internals when building a performance engine, and obviously for my other little projects too.

Quick Reply