Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Local Ale House Sells Sierra Nevada For $5.45

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
Thirstyone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Local Ale House Sells Sierra Nevada For $5.45

Man!

165 12oz beers

That is $ 899.00 for one keg.

I wonder what the half barrel costs them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

That is why I don't drink out any more unless I go to the only brew pub down here. Doesn't make any sense to pay the price of a 12 pack for 2 and a half beers that I can get at the grocery store.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
kevabar
Recipes 

The town I lived in (Doylestown, PA) had Sierra for $4.50 a few years back. The wine bar had Stella for $5.50 a pint. It was cheaper to buy Bodington's on our Alaskan cruise. Damn rich folk...

Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

2 things.......

165 12 oz beers would assume they don't waste a drop......let say more like 150 12 ozers.......and...are they not pouring pints?

They wouldn't be selling it for that price if people weren't buying it for that price.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
MMTG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

As a former bar manager i gotta chime in. There's a fine line between "cheap/dive" watering holes and respectable bars. The amount you charge usually(but not always) reflects the bars clientel. Gotta charge enough to keep riff raff out,lol. The exceptions to this are some sports bars and college bars.(gotta make use of happy hour and promo nights)

It surprises me what a pint in a pub sometimes costs! Nothing worse than feeling like you're being "overcharged"...you gotta factor in the ambiance, service, and entertainment value of your local brew pub. But to be honest, if you cant afford to drink at a bar, then buy a sixer and drink at home. It depends on how you look at bars. I have a killer brewshop/bar/man cave, but as fun as it is, I love the feel of going to my local pubs.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts

There is also overhead in there... They pay to cool the beer, clean the tap lines, cover glass breakage, wipe up the table after you leave, etc. They also have to pay the barkeep.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
BlaneyBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
That is why I don't drink out any more unless I go to the only brew pub down here. Doesn't make any sense to pay the price of a 12 pack for 2 and a half beers that I can get at the grocery store.
I agree whole heartedly... Most joints I go to charge way too much, so i usually prefer a tall can or two before i head into the bar. Then i can be ok with getting one or a pitcher for more of a social situation with friends.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

$5.45? Hah! That's cheap for a beer in a restaurant or bar around here. Consider yourself lucky and stop complaining!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTG View Post
As a former bar manager i gotta chime in. There's a fine line between "cheap/dive" watering holes and respectable bars. The amount you charge usually(but not always) reflects the bars clientel...

It surprises me what a pint in a pub sometimes costs! Nothing worse than feeling like you're being "overcharged"...you gotta factor in the ambiance, service, and entertainment value of your local brew pub.
Sorry for slightly editing your quote, I just wanted to quote the parts that were important to me.

I agree with this wholeheartedely. I frequent two bars only, and both because of what you mentioned above. One has decent prices anyway, but the other one is a German place where I guess the prices are slightly high, but still well worth it. You can't put a value on a great local bar.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2432 Times on 1718 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

If only my local bars carried SNPA. I'd still probably still drink at home, but there are times where I go to work on their computers and it would be nice to get a free glass of something good. Well, I got Oberon the last time, which was great, but that's about the only thing they got that's decent.

Oh, and they bartender said she was saving Grolsch bottles for me! Say what?? =8D

Not sure if they will get another case or not, but these were free for me so I'll take what I can get!

Quick Reply