Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Let's talk...mid-range mitre saws

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Default Let's talk...mid-range mitre saws

I'm looking at mitre saws because I want to put up new moulding on my new pad. After that job, it might not get used again for a while, and when it does it'll probably be to cut studs for my basement. So I don't want to spend a lot on it since it won't get a ton of use.

Two models I saw at HD are the Ryobi and the Rigid. The Ryobi is the cheapest ($199), the Rigid is probably second cheapest ($260). Both have mixed reviews on Amazon.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Found this one also:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/391391149.html

And this one:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/391058343.html

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Are you doing crown molding or just regular molding? If crown, you'll need a compound mitre with a decent size blade. Do you have a HOBO near you? They typically have pretty good deals on tools. For the amount you're going to be using it, you certainly don't need contractor grade.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I have that EXACT saw. It's fine for basic cuts. I did all the molding in my basement bathroom with it. It's nothing special and that price isn't either.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never used the Ryobi, but I'd be a little leery of getting the bottom-of-the-line for a CMS---I might be willing to get Ryobi or Black-n-Decker for sub-$50 tools where I don't mind too much if they break---but spending $200 on anything from Ryobi doesn't sit well with me.

I've had this Ridgid model for a couple years, have used to quite a bit, and have never had a single problem. It's easy to use and adjust, it's built very solid, and I'm a fan. Given Lowe's awesome return policy, I'd rather have bought one there, but we had a stack of Home Depot gift cards, so...I just hope that, if anything were to happen, HD would be as cool as Lowes when it comes to returns. But I digress---go with the Ridgid. I don't trust Ryobi any more than I trust B&D.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj
Are you doing crown molding or just regular molding? If crown, you'll need a compound mitre with a decent size blade. Do you have a HOBO near you? They typically have pretty good deals on tools. For the amount you're going to be using it, you certainly don't need contractor grade.
I don't know if we're going to do crown moulding yet. I agree that contractor grade is more than I need, I just want one with a good guide and accurate, repeatable cuts. Obviously I want quality since I don't want to buy more than one CMS. I'm thinking about the 10" blade unless you convince me to go 12" blade. Given the house's proximity to a park, I don't think I'll use this for a jungle-gym or a fence, but I will use it for normal M&R and light remodeling.

Cool Shirts.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
I don't know if we're going to do crown moulding yet. I agree that contractor grade is more than I need, I just want one with a good guide and accurate, repeatable cuts. Obviously I want quality since I don't want to buy more than one CMS. I'm thinking about the 10" blade unless you convince me to go 12" blade. Given the house's proximity to a park, I don't think I'll use this for a jungle-gym or a fence, but I will use it for normal M&R and light remodeling.
The only reason to go to a 12" is insurance for the future. You may not envision yourself needing anything but a 10 right now, but the first time you try to slice through a 2x6, you'll be wishing you had the 12.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I've had this Ridgid model for a couple years, have used to quite a bit, and have never had a single problem.
That's the one I've been considering. B&D doesn't sit well either, I almost bought a B&D drill and the guy working there talked me out of it, saying that he sees a lot of B&D returns due to low-quality. Considering that the two drills I was looking at were about $5 difference (and I know that he has no clue what the margin is) I don't think he was really trying to make an up-sell.

HD has a great return policy. When my dremmel died, they exchanged it for me even though I didn't have my receipt (they looked it up).

I'm leary of Craftsman. They used to be the de facto standard for tools - my dad would buy nothing but Craftsman, but I don't think the quality is what it once was.

Cool Shirts.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I have a 10" Porter-Cable compound miter saw that I love. Not sure how much it cost, it was a gift.

Mine's got a frickin' laser beam, though

Looks like this model is unavailable. but I also see a pretty-good looking Dewalt (another brand I would trust) at Amaon for $190w ith free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW703-H...7016440&sr=8-1

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
That's the one I've been considering. B&D doesn't sit well either, I almost bought a B&D drill and the guy working there talked me out of it, saying that he sees a lot of B&D returns due to low-quality. Considering that the two drills I was looking at were about $5 difference (and I know that he has no clue what the margin is) I don't think he was really trying to make an up-sell.

HD has a great return policy. When my dremmel died, they exchanged it for me even though I didn't have my receipt (they looked it up).

I'm leary of Craftsman. They used to be the de facto standard for tools - my dad would buy nothing but Craftsman, but I don't think the quality is what it once was.
Good to know re: return policy. I have one craftsman tool---a 12" planer---and I love it. Really well made, no problems over the past few years. But yeah, I don't think they are what they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I have a 10" Porter-Cable compound miter saw that I love. Not sure how much it cost, it was a gift.

Mine's got a frickin' laser beam, though

Looks like this model is unavailable. but I also see a pretty-good looking Dewalt (another brand I would trust) at Amaon for $190w ith free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW703-H...7016440&sr=8-1
Yeah, I've had great luck with all my DeWalt tools---drills, circ saws, jigsaws, etc. I've heard people talk some junk about DeWalt, that their quality doesn't justify the price, etc., but I haven't had any problems myself.

This would be another option.
Actually, for table saw, Grizzy Industrial is the way to go. I have the older one of these, had it for about 5 years, and it's just sick!

I wouldn't go the Amazon route unless the price is really really amazing. If you buy it at Lowes or Home Depot and something goes wrong, you can just bring it back and they'll refund or replace it---but if you buy from Amazon, you have to deal with the rigmarole of shipping, returning, etc. Just a thought.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply